• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Something Weird on Heritage

57 posts in this topic

Another board member pointed this out to me. On Heritage, a World's Finest #3 graded at 2.0 recently sold.

14081010066o.jpg

At first glance, it looks a lot like one of the two copies I own.

781769-world%5C%27sfinest3.jpg

The more I study them, I think definitely mine looks structurally more sound, but the staining in almost identical on both books. A weird pedigree, perhaps? Or something more sinister? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

589a8e83b86dd_781769-worldsfinest3.jpg.70bbc780db899101e65dae886053aaa7.jpg

Odds are they came form the same newsstand, perhaps very close to each other. That would explain the similar defects, especially the water stain.

Or Heritage secretly snuck into your house and copied your book and then found a similar copy and created the flaws to mirror your own book.

Or Heritage secretly snuck into your house and copied your book and then found a similar copy and created the flaws to mirror your own book.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Another board member pointed this out to me. On Heritage, a World's Finest #3 graded at 2.0 recently sold.

14081010066o.jpg

At first glance, it looks a lot like one of the two copies I own.

781769-world%5C%27sfinest3.jpg

The more I study them, I think definitely mine looks structurally more sound, but the staining in almost identical on both books. A weird pedigree, perhaps? Or something more sinister? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is this a joke? Those are obviously the same book. Every defect matches perfectly.

Sorry for the big scan, but I just marked some of the identical sets of markings. Whatever the explanation, I definitely believe we are looking at the same book. I can only think that someone who owned the book before you Doiby, had a scan and it somehow ended up on Heritage. Even if the books were together when they got stained, there should be SOME differentiation in the stain patterns.

wftclones.jpg

They are UNDOUBTEDLY the same book. The differences along the edges are caused by the ink flakes delaminating from the underlayer of paper. Heritage probably pressed them flat or wetted them so they'd stick together while making the scan (or maybe they just delaminated on their own), and they have now come apart while in the slab.

Here are the huge scans. Note that even the mottling in the water stain at top right matches perfectly, and that the stain itself matches perfectly, as do ALL of the wrinkles and dings:

(I am using links instead of embedded images to prevent screen stretching)

Doiby's book

Heritage's copy