• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Books that are primed to crash.

46 posts in this topic

The Dell'Otto variants -- apart from the extremely rare ones -- have already declined. Which is a shame, as I just picked up some nice ones this week.

Same with some of the JSC variants which were all the rage for a month or so.

Not saying they can't/won't bounce back, just that they are down now.

his better covers never get the love they deserve while others get too much

The Walking Dead post #100 Issues

Every month you read flippers brag and gloat about horsing 50+ Copies per issue, citing guaranteed money in the bank.

The wheels on the zombie bus will fall off when it comes to the fact, it is no longer a hidden gem nor niche cult classic with small press runs.

I foresee to age in dollar bins as those holding too much inventory in the name of greed and not flipping quickly for fast smaller profits find out there may be more supply than demand on the issues they are hoarding today in tomorrow's market.

If you are buying them pre-order there is profit to be made. They will sell.

Only a few of those issues sell for more than cover on a consistent basis though?

In a month after release, yes. But most of the comic stores I go into don't have further than a year of TWD back issues. They eventually get bought for more than cover.

I have 7 LCS that are either close to my house or work and only 1 has any Walking Dead back issues before issue #140. The one shop that does has nothing before issue #100. According to the shop owners/managers they can't keep back issues in stock.

I keep reading on these boards how Walking Dead will plunge in value but it continues to go up in value. Remember the first issue has less than 7,500 copies.

While the print run was higher, Ultimate Spiderman experienced the same phenomenon during its run. Most issues were not available as back issues.

Invincible will crash a little while after the title stops

If so I can finally get the 9.8 copy of Invincible #1 I want. I'm actually ok with modern comics I'm interested in dropping in value. I'm buying them because I like them and want them in my collection, not because of perceived value.

My belief is that the New 52 Batman run will take a dip for about year. However I think this period will be a good time to buy before it trends up again. Here are a few reasons why:

1. It was well written and drawn by two fan favorites

2. Rebirth did not re-write the events of New 52 out of existence, some parts like Duke Thomas were brought forward into Rebirth

3. Most importantly, its Batman. No matter if you are a completest or not, there are few periods in the Batman series that hasn't went up. If I see New 52 Batman books in the dollar bin, I am a buyer. For now I will buy up the variants in the run like the 1:200.