• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Stupid Thread by Hobgoblin

50 posts in this topic

Of course they had different editions for the direct market. Otherwise comic shop owners would simply have returned the books thru returnable channels.Image #1 is the direct market, book. Shop owners paid 37.5 cents for these on a non-returnable basis.

Image #2 is the regular edition,returnable for a fifty cent credit.

If there was no difference, wholesale buyers would buy the first ones and return them as if they were the second ones.Most shops had accounts with both types of distributors.They were good sources for slower selling books(ie-most DCs and Archies)

As for the 252s,that is simply a Canadian version(75cents) with an American edition.

Of course they had different editions for the direct market. Otherwise comic shop owners would simply have returned the books thru returnable channels.Image #1 is the direct market, book. Shop owners paid 37.5 cents for these on a non-returnable basis.

If there was no difference, wholesale buyers would buy the first ones and return them as if they were the second ones.Most shops had accounts with both types of distributors.They were good sources for slower selling books(ie-most DCs and Archies)

As for the 252s,that is simply a Canadian version(75cents) with an American edition.

Kinda funny, cause I got that direct edition from a drug store confused-smiley-013.gif Didn't visit an actual comic shop until 1992.

Kinda funny, cause I got that direct edition from a drug store confused-smiley-013.gif Didn't visit an actual comic shop until 1992.

Actually, I believe it was a discount store. Gibson's. Which is nearly defunct, if not completely.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, B. flowerred.gif

Hobgoblin. Your books are both US versions. The 252 has an American price of .60 and a Canadian of .75

By the time your books came out,21/2 years later,there had been price increases.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, B. flowerred.gif

Hobgoblin. Your books are both US versions. The 252 has an American price of .60 and a Canadian of .75

By the time your books came out,21/2 years later,there had been price increases.

foreheadslap.gif Just noticed Beyonder posted 252's and not 284's.

Many direct books were sold in non-comic shops. After all,they were non-returnable. I got my books about three weeks ahead of the newstands,so I had a three week sell-thru window.I used to out-source many of my left-overs to drug stores,record shops and even to a store that specialized in Menudo merchandise.What didn't get sold there often got heat-sealed into three packs and sold in large lots to discount shops.Most shops and especially the distributors did likewise.

I believe direct sales surpassed newstand sales in the mid-80s, though I can't really be more specfic. I simply don't remember.I would GUESS that there were more newstand books printed than direct,as newstamnd books only sold about half of there print-runs.

As far as the Canadian versions go,I've no real information but I don't see any reaon why they would be bigger than 10% of the print run ,at most.

A really easy way to spot newstand Marvels is to look for CC on the cover,which indicates Curtis Company,Marvels newstand distributors.

It will also have a multi-digit number alongside the CC. This is the Curtis product code. Evidently their bean-counters think its easier to track item 23567854 than to call it Amazing Spiderham #27.

If it has a CC symbol and a number,its a newstand version.