• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

Anyone else received their copy of this? -
Got a copy and have to agree that it is OUTSTANDING. They editors really know their pre-code horror and did a GREAT job selecting stories. There are so many classics here, from outrageous goofy stories to true serious horror. Just some of the contents...

• The Corpse That Came To Dinner by Reed Crandall and Mike Peppe
  • The Maze Master by Lou Cameron
  • Swamp Monster by Basil Wolverton
  • Colorama by Bob Powell
  • The Man Who Outdistanced Death by George Evans
  • Wall Of Flesh by Bob Powell
  • Custodian Of The Dead by Jack Cole
  • The Slithering Horror Of Skontong Swamp by George Evans
  • Here Today by Sid Check and Frank Frazetta
  • And 31 other stories by the likes of Howard Nostrand, Joe Kubert, Wally Wood, Al WIlliamson, and Rudy Palais, for a total of 40 complete stories.

The other comments were right on about the reproduction being excellent. The stories look like they did in the old comics, but the colors are clear and in register.

This may be the finest collection reprinting pre-code horror produced yet. Get it while you can!

61PPEC63lWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I got mine yesterday and I can't keep from going back to it. One of the more enjoyable collections in a long time. Can't wait to see what the Frankie looks like.

Remember when I pm'd you to say I'd received a copy of a book I hadnt ordered? This was the book! I eventually figured out that it ws a complimentary copy because ages ago I had given the author a scan of my FAC #20 - had totally forgotten until I saw the cover reproduced!

All I can say about the contents is - more please! Great quality reproduction and some really great stories in there - loved the Fawcetts in particular!

I thought it might have been.

I am not surprised everyone else is in agreement with me. This is the best thing that's happened for PCH since TTTT and it complements TTTT since this is mostly about stories while TTTT had history, bibliography and some analysis.

IIRC, the authors are going to be moving on through time with this series, i.e., next up is the '60's horror then '70's horror and so on ... However, I want more '50's as I don't believe I'll keep with them through the decades.

Hear that Greg! More '50's :sumo:

I'll have to get a copy. It's great that they used Crandall's splash from "The Corpse that came to Dinner" for the cover, I've always loved that story.

Am I the only getting a great kick checking out Warren Kremer's Harvey Horror (and more) prelim work?

Check this HA auction for the cover to Chamber of Chills # 18

and esp. the one with the art direction notes to Lee Elias.

You're not alone. I always enjoy the roughs and seeing the process. You can tell from the notes that some for these covers where open for input from Lee Elias too. That's great. Thanks for posting the link! Still reading through Four Color Fear? I'm enjoying all of the content in this book. Did you see the cool footnotes next to the thumbnail-size covers in the back?

Got mine today, I love it! I only wish there was a hardcover version. Highly recommended (thumbs u

I got mine yesterday and I can't keep from going back to it. One of the more enjoyable collections in a long time. Can't wait to see what the Frankie looks like.

I love horror books. So what could be better than a horror book with a guy reading a horror book on the cover? The gal in the green dress doesn't hurt either!

Beware7.jpg

Here's the story Guest of the Ghouls with art by Sid Check. It really looks like this story most matches the Frazetta/Check cover to Beware #10. The ghouls look so similar. Enjoy!

GuestoftheGhouls01.jpg

GuestoftheGhouls02.jpg

GuestoftheGhouls03.jpg

GuestoftheGhouls04.jpg

GuestoftheGhouls05.jpg

GuestoftheGhouls06.jpg

Got mine on Saturday! Thanks again for the info Scrooge!

Not my birthday yet but I couldn't wait to dig in to the stories, what a great collection of stories and info! (thumbs u (thumbs u

got my mid grade issue of shock #9 in the mail just last Friday. Had a good time reading it as well. (thumbs u

Good reading is right!

My only gripe is that I would have used a rock and smashed that cop's hand to get the cuffs off rather than trying to cut it off with his badge! :insane:

Not my birthday yet but I couldn't wait to dig in to the stories, what a great collection of stories and info! (thumbs u (thumbs u

:thumbsup:

I read the cover feature last night. Good stuff. :applause:

:thumbsup:

I read the cover feature last night. Good stuff. :applause:

Got mine today. Put it on my desk at work and it instantly got buried and I forgot about it!