• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Decades Of Stolen Comics Claims Denied By Canada’s Universal Distribution

28 posts in this topic

I can easily see it happening. Did it happen? I have no idea.

I know, for a fact, that books went out the backdoor at comic distributors in NY, and heard all sort of rumours about Topps rack and vending packs being searched and then sold in " unopened" cases.

I seriously doubt ownership or management at Ronalds were involved, but employees at comic warehouses were paid not much more than minimum wage.

I know card dealers who paid off toys r us managers to search rack packs before they were put out to the public. Not as bad as selling searched boxes as new, but anyone buying rack packs in those stores in Nassau in 85-87 was being cheated. It was nuts.

I have two friends who worked in the sportscard industry in the boom 1988-1993 years. One ran a store. It was the wild west. They have tons of stories from angle shooting, to flat out theft.

Don't forget using metal detectors for premium metallic cards.

But the wraps on many of those packs were of a metallic signature similar to foil, so it would have had to be a wax based wrap, otherwise the metal detector would go off with every pack.

I know, for a fact, that books went out the backdoor at comic distributors in NY, and heard all sort of rumours about Topps rack and vending packs being searched and then sold in " unopened" cases.

I seriously doubt ownership or management at Ronalds were involved, but employees at comic warehouses were paid not much more than minimum wage.

I know card dealers who paid off toys r us managers to search rack packs before they were put out to the public. Not as bad as selling searched boxes as new, but anyone buying rack packs in those stores in Nassau in 85-87 was being cheated. It was nuts.

I have two friends who worked in the sportscard industry in the boom 1988-1993 years. One ran a store. It was the wild west. They have tons of stories from angle shooting, to flat out theft.

(thumbs u

The first year of Pro Set hockey had a long odds Stanley Cup hologram insert.

Guys used atomic scales to identify the packs that were slightly heavier.

Those Pro Set wraps definitely shared similar properties to a foil signature. The only way it would work is if the machine had metal signature discrimination, which was not a technological feature set on consumer model metal detectors at that time.

(thumbs u

Those Pro Set wraps definitely shared similar properties to a foil signature. The only way it would work is if the machine had metal signature discrimination, which was not a technological feature set on consumer model metal detectors at that time.

Sure you're not thinking of Upper Deck? Early ProSet packs were plastic.

(thumbs u

That would be a good point... if I wasn't talking about a scale and weighing the packs. :baiting:

(thumbs u

Sure you're not thinking of Upper Deck? Early ProSet packs were plastic.

I might be thinking of the Patrick Roy mask set, but I do have a few of them from around that time and they all used the same type of material that you find used on disposable ketchup packs that are given out at fast food chains, and those things set off metal detectors like a crushed can or foil wrap.

(thumbs u

That would be a good point... if I wasn't talking about a scale and weighing the packs. :baiting:

lol

Yeah, I think the scale would be more plausible. Funny thing is that when I used to take my oldest son to buy Pokemon cards, he would try to hand weigh them thinking he had a system to weed out packs with EX's. I think he must have heard this trick from his friends, but I didn't want to rain on his parade.

Heh - the best is the Lego Blind Bag Minifigures. For the most part in the past, I have ordered mine from Lego directly so I have never had the following opportunity I will describe.

If you see them in Toys R Us you will sometimes see people walking around feeling up the contents trying to determine what it what on the inside.

I will admit that I tried it once because I could not pull the Statue of Liberty from any of the boxes but apparently everyone had beaten me to it.

(Finally ordered one off eBay)

These types of shenanigans will always go on.