• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about a Weird War Tales #1

31 posts in this topic

I had a chance to buy the etire Monterey collection 1-124 of this series all in NM/M white for $125 in 1990. Think I regret that decision? foreheadslap.gif

1990 - happy days, when the Bronze Age collector had no competition as there really wasn't a market for BA then, except for a handful of key Marvels.

So what made you decide against buying this fantastic set??

I probably bought Swamp Thing, or Kamandi or something like that instead. By the time I got to Steve about WWT, he said it had sold already. It was the only set I regreted no acting on sooner.

I had a chance to buy the etire Monterey collection 1-124 of this series all in NM/M white for $125 in 1990. Think I regret that decision? foreheadslap.gif

1990 - happy days, when the Bronze Age collector had no competition as there really wasn't a market for BA then, except for a handful of key Marvels.

I probably bought Swamp Thing, or Kamandi or something like that instead. By the time I got to Steve about WWT, he said it had sold already. It was the only set I regreted no acting on sooner.

Who's Steve and wasn't the Monterey collection discovered later than 1990? confused-smiley-013.gif

wasn't the Monterey collection discovered later than 1990? confused-smiley-013.gif

Obviously not, can't you read? screwy.gif

wasn't the Monterey collection discovered later than 1990? confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah...everything written on the internet is true! screwy.gif

So I guess you're calling Silver a misinformed liar and/or a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point. 893naughty-thumb.gif

So I guess you're calling Silver a misinformed liar and/or a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point. 893naughty-thumb.gif

NO...you are! screwy.gif

NO...you are! screwy.gif

You're mistaken yet again Gregory. You're calling Silver a misinformed liar and/or a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point & I'm just calling you a POS person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point. smirk.gif

I had a chance to buy the entire Monterey collection 1-124 of this series all in NM/M white for $125 in 1990. Think I regret that decision? foreheadslap.gif

I probably bought Swamp Thing, or Kamandi or something like that instead. By the time I got to Steve about WWT, he said it had sold already. It was the only set I regreted not acting on sooner.

Who's Steve and wasn't the Monterey collection discovered later than 1990? confused-smiley-013.gif

Steven Johnson's collection was dubbed the "Monterey Collection" after his passing (I think 2000?). Prior to that, Steven was selling off his collection a piece at a time starting in the late 80's.

I met Steven at a San Diego Comic Con I thtink in 1988 or 89. If anyone had ever met him before, they would remember it. Steve was a very unusual character. He used to go by the business name "the Bag Man" and sold comic bags, holders, dividers, store fixtures, etc.

The first con I met Steve at I bought a bunch of Amazing Spider-Man's silver/bronze) from him. I have since parted with those books, but I went on to buy many other books from Steve that I still have. Steve mostly sold books as sets except for very expensive books, since he didn't want his stuff "cherry picked". Steve also held back many books as not being for sale, those were the books that his family sold and became known as the "Monterey Collection".

I bought and still have Swamp Thing 1-24, Tarzan 207-258, Tarzan Family, DC Korak, Forever People, Demon, Kamandi, Wanted, Super DC Giant, DC 100 Page Super Spectacular, Laurel and Hardy #1, Phantom Stranger (sold thos recently), Limited Collectors Edition (treasury), Sandman, Omac, Journey into Mystery (2nd Series), and other stuff I am forgetting.

My brother bought his complete Iron Man, and many other books from him (mostly Marvel), and a friend of mine got some stuff as well.

We called them "Bag Man" books. I believe it was Ronnie Murray or some other dealer that coined the termed "Monterey Collection".

CGC never recognized it as a pedigree because it had been sold off for many years prior to the bulk of the collection coming out, and maybe for other reasons I do not know about.

As far as the WWT set, the way Steve worked is I would call him up and give him a list of stuff I was interested in, he would then send me a letter with what he had, condition (if it wasn't NM/M) and the prices. I would then pick a set here and there and send for them. I passed on the WWT set the first time he offered it to me as it was expensive ($125) and I could buy a couple other sets more cheaply. Swamp thing for instance was $110. Hind sight being what it is, WWT should have been the first set I bought. stooges.gif

Hope that clears up the question of the Monterey collection flowerred.gif

Thanks for clearing things up. I've only heard titbits from Ronnie regarding buying up the stuff from the store that Steve's heirs consigned his books to after his death. Ronnie said that he missed out on the Neal Adams Green Lantern run. He said that the 76 graded CGC 9.4 with white pages.

How were the grades on the Super DC Giants? Also, why did you decide to sell the Phantom Strangers recently? confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks for the info! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for clearing things up. I've only heard titbits from Ronnie regarding buying up the stuff from the store that Steve's heirs consigned his books to after his death. Ronnie said that he missed out on the Neal Adams Green Lantern run. He said that the 76 graded CGC 9.4 with white pages.

How were the grades on the Super DC Giants? Also, why did you decide to sell the Phantom Strangers recently? confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks for the info! thumbsup2.gif

Told you you were wrong, beeyotch. 893naughty-thumb.gif