• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any point in going to a Con to buy books on Sunday?

50 posts in this topic

It looks like the only day I can possibly go to the Cincinnati Expo would be Sunday but I'm having an internal debate about if it's even worth it to go the last day of the Con. The Con is Friday - Sunday so there will be two days for people to buy up all the hot or underpriced or gradable books so would you even bother driving 7 hours (round trip) from a comic flipping perspective?

I do know some people like to go make low ball offers on Sunday but with the next local Con coming around in the next month will people really be willing to blow out books on the last day of a Con anymore?

I love the last day of a show as its usually a little quite and I do find dealers ready to move some inventory.

But the books the dealers are willing to blow out are usually the bin books and not the gradable wall books. I think its telling when you rarely see any of the big buyers (Roy, Greggy, etc) at a Con on Sunday. I can only imagine they scoped out the room - grabbed the books with potential on Friday and possibly Saturday and use Sunday as a travel day. If there was dealers moving inventory on Sunday you would think all the buyers would be flocking to Cons on Sunday to grab books for cheap.

Since good books survived the last show to be available on the Friday of this show I'd guess some may sneak through to Sunday. If you factor in time, gas and missing football the deals would have to be pretty sweet for me to make that trip.

Sure there's always the next show, but dealers are lazy and if you can buy some of their bulk it's one less shortbox they have to load out.

Friday is looking for hot books and deals, Sunday is looking for bulk inventory ($1 books, trades, etc) and making deals.

If you have a niche that's some what obscure that others miss out on, there could still be deals (like say you know about 70s magazines that are valuable but obscure, that could slip under the radar).

But if you're just going thru dealer tables looking for the same hot "GCG IT!" books as everyone else, then yeah Sunday is pretty useless cause those books are either a) already sold or b)priced to high to be worth buying/selling.

Sure there's always the next show, but dealers are exhausted from working very hard preparing for the show, setting up the booth, and then working the booth for a very long day and if you can buy some of their bulk it's one less shortbox they have to load out.

Friday is looking for hot books and deals, Sunday is looking for bulk inventory ($1 books, trades, etc) and making deals.

If you have a niche that's some what obscure that others miss out on, there could still be deals (like say you know about 70s magazines that are valuable but obscure, that could slip under the radar).

But if you're just going thru dealer tables looking for the same hot "GCG IT!" books as everyone else, then yeah Sunday is pretty useless cause those books are either a) already sold or b)priced to high to be worth buying/selling.

fixed that for you :)

Sure there's always the next show, but dealers are exhausted from working very hard preparing for the show, setting up the booth, and then working the booth for a very long day and if you can buy some of their bulk it's one less shortbox they have to load out.

fixed that for you :)

dang auto-correct ;)

so there will be two days for people to buy up all the hot or underpriced or gradable books

don't forget all the dealers that will get the best books/deals before the show even opens.

I will be at the show myself on Saturday, now, judging by the show last year and other local shows in the Ohio,Kentucky,Indiana area that I have been to in the past few years, it's getting much harder to find a "deal" or even a book that's not priced 2-3X market value. even on books that have already peaked, like X-Factor 6, dealers will still have that book priced at $75-$125 for raw copies. or Batman #251 in maybe G/VG condition for $750. along with anything Harley Quinn on it, dealers treat as Gold, so you have to know your price/grade market value on whichever books you look for. however, I do always manage to find something that I can make a buck on, I wish I had bought more books from Leroy Harper at the last con I saw him at because his prices were actually very good. I did buy a few, but I should have bought so much more.

also, not sure how many "vintage book dealers" will be there, seems to be more and more non book related selling at cons.

so there will be two days for people to buy up all the hot or underpriced or gradable books

don't forget all the dealers that will get the best books/deals before the show even opens.

I will be at the show myself on Saturday, now, judging by the show last year and other local shows in the Ohio,Kentucky,Indiana area that I have been to in the past few years, it's getting much harder to find a "deal" or even a book that's not priced 2-3X market value. even on books that have already peaked, like X-Factor 6, dealers will still have that book priced at $75-$125 for raw copies. or Batman #251 in maybe G/VG condition for $750. along with anything Harley Quinn on it, dealers treat as Gold, so you have to know your price/grade market value on whichever books you look for. however, I do always manage to find something that I can make a buck on, I wish I had bought more books from Leroy Harper at the last con I saw him at because his prices were actually very good. I did buy a few, but I should have bought so much more.

also, not sure how many "vintage book dealers" will be there, seems to be more and more non book related selling at cons.

I seem to buy so much less when I'm actually selling books compared to when I'm just floating around looking for deals. Now guys that get dealers badges without actually selling do have the best of both worlds.

I would think if the next show is in a month, they won't have time to acquire much new stuff so the things you see on Sunday will be the same next month.

That being said, from a dealer's perspective, they can sit on the book for another month and then lug it around and try to sell it, or they can sell at a discount and use the cash flow for potential.

If I had to drive 7 hours I would be looking to get above average deals and spend enough to make it work for all involved. I wouldn't worry that all the good stuff was picked over, I would worry that there would be enough stuff to buy.

I love the last day of a show as its usually a little quite and I do find dealers ready to move some inventory.

But the books the dealers are willing to blow out are usually the bin books and not the gradable wall books. I think its telling when you rarely see any of the big buyers (Roy, Greggy, etc) at a Con on Sunday. I can only imagine they scoped out the room - grabbed the books with potential on Friday and possibly Saturday and use Sunday as a travel day. If there was dealers moving inventory on Sunday you would think all the buyers would be flocking to Cons on Sunday to grab books for cheap.

You don't buy the same books I do. I don't buy the same books greggy does. If it's a comic show with lots of dealer depth, I've found plenty of books on Sundays. All you need to do is look.

As Bronzed Jbone said, if there isn't much material which day you go is irrelevant.

I've been to plenty of shows where there was not much depth of material and left disappointed. That's just the way the ball bounces sometimes.

I would think if the next show is in a month, they won't have time to acquire much new stuff so the things you see on Sunday will be the same next month.

That being said, from a dealer's perspective, they can sit on the book for another month and then lug it around and try to sell it, or they can sell at a discount and use the cash flow for potential.

If I had to drive 7 hours I would be looking to get above average deals and spend enough to make it work for all involved. I wouldn't worry that all the good stuff was picked over, I would worry that there would be enough stuff to buy.

Good points. But would you be more inclined to think the selection and amount of books worth buying would be larger on Friday compared to Sunday? I've never gone to the last day of a 3 day Con before so I really am just theorizing at this point.

You don't buy the same books I do. I don't buy the same books greggy does. If it's a comic show with lots of dealer depth, I've found plenty of books on Sundays. All you need to do is look.

As Bronzed Jbone said, if there isn't much material which day you go is irrelevant.

I've been to plenty of shows where there was not much depth of material and left disappointed. That's just the way the ball bounces sometimes.

Have you gone to a Con only on Sunday when its a three day Con? Just wondering if it's more prevalent then I think.

It looks like the only day I can possibly go to the Cincinnati Expo would be Sunday but I'm having an internal debate about if it's even worth it to go the last day of the Con. The Con is Friday - Sunday so there will be two days for people to buy up all the hot or underpriced or gradable books so would you even bother driving 7 hours (round trip) from a comic flipping perspective?

I do know some people like to go make low ball offers on Sunday but with the next local Con coming around in the next month will people really be willing to blow out books on the last day of a Con anymore?

I read the title of the thread and thought, heck, that's the only days we have them 'round these parts!

Wow - I just noticed I passed my 10 year mark on the boards a few weeks ago. Time flies when you are having fun.

Who won the X-Factor #6 challenge?

Great question! I think it was a tie between Dr Balls and Dr Chaos - I'll have to check on that.

Wow - I just noticed I passed my 10 year mark on the boards a few weeks ago. Time flies when you are having fun.

Who won the X-Factor #6 challenge?

The sellers?

Unfortunately I've got a CGC 9.8 and that bad boy is dropping like a rock. I think RMA's guess would have won if we used the current GPA data.