• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any point in going to a Con to buy books on Sunday?

50 posts in this topic

Good/fair deals are getting harder to come by.

It's the same everywhere, though and not just something that happens at shows.

I used to go to shows and bring home a decent stack from nearly every show. Now there are shows I go to where I bring home a small handful.

Yep. Those days are gone it looks like. I'll probably just go to most shows now for signatures and say :hi: to the good folks from CGC

I've not had much luck buying books and getting deals on the last day (unless it's bulk stuff)

Further, I get a lot of "oh ya that key sold on Friday/Saturday" when I got hunting on Sundays.

Plus, I doubt dealers will discount their 'big dollar' books much at any time. There's always the next show and there's always a market for big books

There's always books to find. At any hour, any day.

It just depends on how much you are willing to work for it (get up early, drive, get on your knees :shy: etc)

Come on Hector - you know I don't go looking thru boxes on the floor. Too much effort getting back up.

I'm pretty sure he meant something else :whistle:

so there will be two days for people to buy up all the hot or underpriced or gradable books

don't forget all the dealers that will get the best books/deals before the show even opens.

I hate this about shows. Last Cal Comic Con (Yorba Linda) show I went to I had high hopes of finally finding a nice WWBN32 raw book. Some how there was a dispute over a dealer having a space there. He ended up not setting up but took advantage of being able to be there early and bought all the decent wwbn32 copies they had there before the show opened. Even caught up to said dealer at the next show LBCE just to try to buy the ones he bought and of course he couldn't find them. Frusterated I've pretty much given up on that book.

To the OP I would say go with your instincts. If you having enough buying cash and you think it might be worth your while, Go for it!

This is easy to fix, just pay what it costs to become a dealer and get in on the action. Or get a pass from a dealer you know. Problem solved.

I might have to go this route pretty soon. Good/fair deals are getting harder to come by.

I used to be in the same boat as you. Eventually you just figure out a way to get yourself in at a 45 degree angle.

After you drive 3 1/2 hours and spend two hours or so scoping out the show for books to buy, you'll likely not find all that much that can be bought at a margin that will allow a worthwhile profit.

Miraclemet pointed out that some esoteric/niche books may have been overlooked which is true.But the odds are, there won't be much of that material in the first place....and if it is a big show, all it takes is one guy with a dealer badge who knows that specific niche well for them to be virtually picked over by the time the show starts.After the show starts, all it takes is 1 or 2 collectors that are looking for a book for it to be eviscerated.

Don't count on finding books like a $500+ Hedi Sawa Vampirella jammed into a $3 magazine box or on a dealer's wall for $100, on a Sunday.

After a 3 1/2 hour drive, coupled with thinking how you had now spent 5 1/2 hours of your time...with a 3 1/2 hour drive home to look forward to.....it is pretty much human nature to want to do something to make the trip worthwhile, unless you can just suck it up and drive home.

If you don't do that, you would likely end up making poor buying decisions.Spending a lot of dough on books where the profit margin is slim.In the process you are depleting a large chunk of money that could/would have done you much more good if you had waited til the next show and went during dealer set up.

There's always books to find. At any hour, any day.

It just depends on how much you are willing to work for it (get up early, drive, get on your knees :shy: etc)

Come on Hector - you know I don't go looking thru boxes on the floor. Too much effort getting back up.

If Greggy is willing to get on his knees to get sweet books, then anyone can :banana:

That is how you get preferred customer status. :devil:

After you drive 3 1/2 hours and spend two hours or so scoping out the show for books to buy, you'll likely not find all that much that can be bought at a margin that will allow a worthwhile profit.

Miraclemet pointed out that some esoteric/niche books may have been overlooked which is true.But the odds are, there won't be much of that material in the first place....and if it is a big show, all it takes is one guy with a dealer badge who knows that specific niche well for them to be virtually picked over by the time the show starts.After the show starts, all it takes is 1 or 2 collectors that are looking for a book for it to be eviscerated.

Don't count on finding books like a $500+ Hedi Sawa Vampirella jammed into a $3 magazine box or on a dealer's wall for $100, on a Sunday.

After a 3 1/2 hour drive, coupled with thinking how you had now spent 5 1/2 hours of your time...with a 3 1/2 hour drive home to look forward to.....it is pretty much human nature to want to do something to make the trip worthwhile, unless you can just suck it up and drive home.

If you don't do that, you would likely end up making poor buying decisions.Spending a lot of dough on books where the profit margin is slim.In the process you are depleting a large chunk of money that could/would have done you much more good if you had waited til the next show and went during dealer set up.

Sound advice. There are three local cons in my area over the next 6 weeks so who know what will pop up there and it's only a half hour drive at most to those. Couple years ago I'd have probably made the trip but I'm getting a bit lazy over time.

Wow - I just noticed I passed my 10 year mark on the boards a few weeks ago. Time flies when you are having fun.

WTTB !

02?? Didn't know there was the internet back then?