• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tomb of Dracula 10 vs WWBN 32, what's the deal?

23 posts in this topic

Is Moon Knight really that much more popular than Blade?

Was the print run for WWBN 32 that much lower?

Blade has had 3 movies, Moon Knight hasn't had any.

Both seem about equally popular with comic fans.

For the longest time it seemed these books were around the same price point, but WWBN 32 has taken off like crazy.

I think more people have problem with WBN 32/Moon Knight being popular than think Iron Man 1 isn't supposed to be that big of a book. [for 25 years I've been one of those Iron Man guys; & just learned over in the SA forum that I've not been alone in wondering about why IM1 stayed so popular.]

But's its a tough call.

As to OT, I view my horror stuff as ancillary to my collection, and I'm probably an oddball but never collected Blade as a hero, though I do have a rather limited collection of Bronze, it includes TOD 1-30something (not the whole run).

I prefer Tomb of Dracula 10 and have a 9.6 copy.

Much better story and art, approaching the classic period when Wolfman and Colan were hitting their peak as a creative team. Apart from having a decent Kane cover, the interior story and art of WWBN 32 are both really quite mediocre in comparison.

I have to support Blade here because as well as being one of my favourite characters he's also English-born in the comics.

I'm a Colan fan, so Tomb of Dracula 10 gets my vote by default, but it has never been in great demand. Seems to be the case with most Colan books... his Dracs, Tales of Suspense, Caps, Daredevils, Wonder Womans... all largely ignored by collectors. Even Captain America 117 was a cheap book until the movies put Falcon on the big screen. If the prices are going up on TOD 10, I'm tempted to say it's because people are seeing it as a bargain, rather than being genuinely interested in the character.

Moon Knight has had several ongoing series, and they've been decent reads. Anyone reading those is going to want a WWBN 32. Everyone knows who Blade is, but few have read more than a handful of appearances. He just doesn't have the same shelf appeal.

WWBN 32 has so many things going for it. Great cover on a 1st app. A very complex character, and high grade copies aren't exactly easy with the purple \blue cover. I have a CGC 9.4 and love it. I also think Blade is the sheit too, so I hedge my bets with a 9.4 ToD 10 as well. :headbang:

Is Moon Knight really that much more popular than Blade?

Was the print run for WWBN 32 that much lower?

Blade has had 3 movies, Moon Knight hasn't had any.

Both seem about equally popular with comic fans.

For the longest time it seemed these books were around the same price point, but WWBN 32 has taken off like crazy.

If it helps you: in Italy, most comics readers which grew up in the 1970s and in the 1980s, so maybe are now collectors, barely know about Blade (unless they read Dracula at the time) as the readership changed when the Marvel titles were published once again with consistency since the early 1990s.

So I would say that, despite these movies (which have a little to do with the original comics, in the end) Moon Knight is a lot more popular worldwide than Blade.

How Marvel treated the character is a different matter, however: the current Moon Knight has a little to do with the original character.

Where can I find a 9.6 for sale? Moon Knight was kind of cool growing up but they never really took the character too far as he because a bit of an after thought.

Not my book but there's a 9.6 on auction at comic link. Bidding closes in 3 days. Original old school label

I'm going to add something to this conversation beyond pure personal opinion:

ToD 10 census numbers: Published July 1973. 1231 copies graded. 1 x 9.9 (!), 26 x 9.8, 81x 9.6 and 148 x 9.4.

WWBN 32 census numbers: Published Aug 1975. 1409 copies graded. 0 x 9.9. 12 x 9.8, 65 x 9.6, 136 x 9.4.

On paper, WWBN has had more copies graded but is more than twice harder to find in 9.8 compared with ToD. Even the 9.6 and 9.4 copies are 'rarer' than ToD.

I have no clues about print runs.

Now for the personal opinion portion:

I'm thinking that people are buying into perceived potential.

Blade had its time in the Hollywood spotlight. Moon Knight hasn't.

Also, Marvel seems to keep trying to keep Moon Knight alive with his own (short lived) solo titles. Blade hasn't had a solo ongoing title since god knows when.

Personally, I am not a huge MK fan. He's nothing more than Marvel's schizophrenic version of Batman. :P

In the comics world, MK has at least been able to sustain a few series for 3+ years at a time. Blade, not so much, despite the movies. I don't think any Blade series has lasted more than 12 issues.

Not that TOD 10 is not going for some nice coin. I also think TOD was pretty popular at the time (moreso than WWBN was by the 30s), so it may be a supply thing too, at least on the raw end.