• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have become a label whore

21 posts in this topic

Not sure when of why but....

After looking at a few books, I am thinking about changing. I have been trying to get the Iron Fist books in 9.6 as well as Swamp Thng 1-10 in 9.6. They I started looking at a few 9.4 issues that I have and don't see much of a difference. Why am I stuck on the 9.6 grade. Should I sell the 9.6 and get 9.4's. I do this for all my books. Moderns only 9.8. Punisher 9.8 Batman DKR 9.8 and so on. For me it is just a price point, but do the 9.6 Iron Fist or Swamp Thing books have a better longtern value than 9.4's? Would it make more sence to collect 9.4's????

After looking at a few books, I am thinking about changing. I have been trying to get the Iron Fist books in 9.6 as well as Swamp Thng 1-10 in 9.6. They I started looking at a few 9.4 issues that I have and don't see much of a difference. Why am I stuck on the 9.6 grade. Should I sell the 9.6 and get 9.4's. I do this for all my books. Moderns only 9.8. Punisher 9.8 Batman DKR 9.8 and so on. For me it is just a price point, but do the 9.6 Iron Fist or Swamp Thing books have a better longtern value than 9.4's? Would it make more sence to collect 9.4's????

I've heard a lot of people will sell anything over a 9.4, and then buy a 9.4 graded book (+plus extras) with the money received.

I bet WAY more people do this with 9.8 books than 9.6 though, just because there is such a huge difference in selling cost for most books. My Wolvie #10 for example. I really thought it was going to be a 9.8, and if it were, I probably would have sold it. But it came back 9.6, and now I'll probably just hold onto it.

Considering how much more you might have to pay to get a 9.6 sometimes.

I personally would go for the 9.4's thumbsup2.gif

Besides.. depending on if the QP of the 9.4 is nice , you can get alot more for your money While still getting a near perfect book..

But if ya gotta line up all those 9.6's in a row....and a few 9.4's thrown in muck it all up for you... well then you are screwed. Dont fight it..the illness has completely taken over the host. Sell everything you own and only buy 9.8

My advice.. keep what you got, seek out really nice examples of 9.4's for future buys. But just like in a sports draft.. take the best book available, If it happens to be a sweet looking 9.4.....sold. If it is a 9.8 and a good deal on a book you need.. sold... rinse repeat as needed.

Ze-

P.S. It depends on what you are paying now over guide to get those 9.6's to consider their potential gain. If you are worried about longterm value.. you might want to collect Self Directed I.R.A.'s .. not comics.

There is something to having a run with a Minimum Grade (regardless if it's 9.0, 9.4, 9.6, etc.)

Should you only collect 9.6's instead of 9.4's, only you can answer that. But I will say if you have eight issues in 9.6 and the other two in 9.4, you will most likely look at the two 9.4's as stepchildren (regardless if they are as nice).

I admit, two years ago, I wouldn't have said this, but I would now, and that's because I got the LABEL FEVER to. insane.gif

I have yet to catch it. I don't really care about ever having a run of CGC'd books. I like to get random CGC'd books that I really like or mean something to me, but that's about it at this point.

But a run of CGC'd books, IMO, would just cost way too much and I know I could get a nice raw run of the same books for a fraction of the cost. That's just me, though. Who knows, it may change, but not anytime soon.

I have yet to catch it. I don't really care about ever having a run of CGC'd books. I like to get random CGC'd books that I really like or mean something to me, but that's about it at this point.

But a run of CGC'd books, IMO, would just cost way too much and I know I could get a nice raw run of the same books for a fraction of the cost. That's just me, though. Who knows, it may change, but not anytime soon.

I agree with this approach, maybe if I built a West Wing on the house, I might change. I'm over flowing with books as it is right now. If I addedin runs of CGC books, my wife would kill me, then even worse, SELL OFF MY COLLECTION!!!!

Collect the book, not the label - if the 9.4 is nicer, keep it, if the 9.6 is nicer, keep that one. If future value is a concern to you, the higher graded books should keep their value/appreciate better than lower graded copies.

If future value is a concern to you, the higher graded books should keep their value/appreciate better than lower graded copies.

Maybe, maybe not. Although high grade overall should certainly hold their value better than lower grades, I'm not so sure about the multiples being paid for 9.4, 9.6, 9.8 etc. My guess is that at some point not so far out that these multiples will come down. Personally, If I was to put big money into slabbed books, I think the safer bets are the 8.5s to the 9.2s. It's just my opinion, but 3X, 5X, 10X even sometimes 20X 9.2 guide is ridiculous, like tech stocks in the years 1999/2000. I'm not a believer in a crash, but over time the multiples should come down on the super high grades. For myself, I just buy raw anyway so I'm not too worried about it either way.

If future value is a concern to you, the higher graded books should keep their value/appreciate better than lower graded copies.

Maybe, maybe not. Although high grade overall should certainly hold their value better than lower grades, I'm not so sure about the multiples being paid for 9.4, 9.6, 9.8 etc. My guess is that at some point not so far out that these multiples will come down. Personally, If I was to put big money into slabbed books, I think the safer bets are the 8.5s to the 9.2s. It's just my opinion, but 3X, 5X, 10X even sometimes 20X 9.2 guide is ridiculous, like tech stocks in the years 1999/2000. I'm not a believer in a crash, but over time the multiples should come down on the super high grades. For myself, I just buy raw anyway so I'm not too worried about it either way.

From what I understand, in coins, stamps, and ball cards the percentage spread between grades has only increased over time...although the absolute values may have decreased. With the census being 5 years old now, the relative scarcity of the big books in high/low grades is a lot more stable than it was 2-3-4 years ago, so while the overall numbers might increase, I would be surprised if the ratio in prices garnered between the higher grades (9.2/9.4/9.6+) shrank. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The multiples may decrease, but a 9.8 is always going to sell for more than a 9.4. I think thats a given.

Bass, I know what you're saying though. Some books I'll be perfectly happy with an 8.5 or 9.0, but that's really just because I don't want to shell out 9.6 money.

The multiples may decrease, but a 9.8 is always going to sell for more than a 9.4. I think thats a given.

Bass, I know what you're saying though. Some books I'll be perfectly happy with an 8.5 or 9.0, but that's really just because I don't want to shell out 9.6 money.

Oh certainly, 9.8s will of course always be more expensive than 9.4s. But just to pull a number out of a hat, for example if right now 9.4 is X, and 9.6 is 2X and 9.8 is 4X, then someday my guess is that we'll see something like 9.4 is still X, 9.6 is 1.5X and 9.8 is 2.5X.

And to your second point, same thing. Over time are people still going to want to pay maybe DOUBLE for a 9.6 over a 9.4 when the differences are so minimal and the grading is still subjective? Common sense tells me no, but then again, investing, speculating and being a completionist doesn't always involve someone using common sense. Emotion always has so much to do with it, valid or not.

Oh certainly, 9.8s will of course always be more expensive than 9.4s. But just to pull a number out of a hat, for example if right now 9.4 is X, and 9.6 is 2X and 9.8 is 4X, then someday my guess is that we'll see something like 9.4 is still X, 9.6 is 1.5X and 9.8 is 2.5X.

And to your second point, same thing. Over time are people still going to want to pay maybe DOUBLE for a 9.6 over a 9.4 when the differences are so minimal and the grading is still subjective? Common sense tells me no, but then again, investing, speculating and being a completionist doesn't always involve someone using common sense. Emotion always has so much to do with it, valid or not.

I've thought that myself, but it hasn't been proven out yet. Plus there are other factors.

Like you said 9.4 sells for X then 9.6 sells for 2X.

Scenario #1 - Lots more 9.4's hit the census, but few or any 9.6's , then I see the spread widening (i.e. 9.6 sells for 2.5X)

Scenario #2 - Lots more 9.4's,9.6's and some 9.8's hit the census. Multiples decrease on all grades, probably hitting 9.6's and 9.8's the most.

Only time will tell. grin.gif

I don't like to limit myself to one grade, although I have considered a minimum grade. For me, it's a case by case basis. For example, I recently bought an 8.5 JLA #29 because it was $102 on ComicLink. Quite a bit lower than the GPA avg (based on a 2002 sale). I doubt I would have paid $350 (current GPA avg) for a 9.0.

I've thought that myself, but it hasn't been proven out yet. Plus there are other factors.

Like you said 9.4 sells for X then 9.6 sells for 2X.

Scenario #1 - Lots more 9.4's hit the census, but few or any 9.6's , then I see the spread widening (i.e. 9.6 sells for 2.5X)

Scenario #2 - Lots more 9.4's,9.6's and some 9.8's hit the census. Multiples decrease on all grades, probably hitting 9.6's and 9.8's the most.

Only time will tell. grin.gif

Here's some food for thought on the subject - the July 20, 2001 CGC Price Index has the following as the ratios between grades:

9.2 = 1X

9.4 = 1.95X

9.6 = 3.15X

9.8 = 4.98X

In September of 2000 the spreads were:

9.2 = 1X

9.4 = 1.45X

9.6 = 2.74X

9.8 = 4.61X

As you can see, the spread between the higher grades increased between 2000 and 2001, does the CBG still publish the CGC price index? Anyone have any interim (2002, 2003, 2004) data to share?

I don't like to limit myself to one grade, although I have considered a minimum grade. For me, it's a case by case basis. For example, I recently bought an 8.5 JLA #29 because it was $102 on ComicLink. Quite a bit lower than the GPA avg (based on a 2002 sale). I doubt I would have paid $350 (current GPA avg) for a 9.0.

Ditto.

If it's a modern, I'll try to get as high as I can without going bankrupt (which isn't much).

If it's a Silver Age key ... I'll be happy getting a CGC 2.0 copy.