• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is the CGC Grade accurate?

7 posts in this topic

I've recently purchased a Spider-Man #1 off of Ebay and was wondering if this looks okay? It received a 9.8 and the GCG Code matches up as well I was just curious because it is my first time buying one. The comic looks perfect but the bottom left corner was a bit off but not really? Can a book get a 9.8 yet still have something wrong in the front? Ebay Spider-Man #1

Welcome to the boards(WTTB)!

Short answer is yes, a book can have slight defects and still get a 9.8. Although I do see that left bottom corner blunting and personally would not be happy with that.

A good rule to follow is to always buy the book and not the number on the label.

Good luck.

I think of a 9.8's as having one minor imperfection, or possibly two very minor imperfections. Otherwise 9.9 and 10 would not exist. I have a 9.8 with a very minor color breaking spine tick. You need to look very closely to see it, but it is there.

I think of a 9.8's as having one minor imperfection, or possibly two very minor imperfections. Otherwise 9.9 and 10 would not exist. I have a 9.8 with a very minor color breaking spine tick. You need to look very closely to see it, but it is there.

I have a BA 12 CGC 9.6 with a similar tick.. IMO it should be a 9.8

As a buyer, I don't like a visible flaw on a 9.8, especially a spine tick. I think most buyers expect a 9.8 to be 'apparently' perfect. IMO, the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.9 should be something subtle like a slightly soft corner 'fuzzy' vs a razor sharp corner.

Regarding a 9.6, I think buyers expect to see, no more than, one visible spine tick. Multiple spine ticks or a slightly deeper spine tick should be relegated to 9.4 .

I'm sorry but if your 9.6 book has a spine tick, CGC graded it properly.

As a buyer, I don't like a visible flaw on a 9.8, especially a spine tick. I think most buyers expect a 9.8 to be 'apparently' perfect. IMO, the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.9 should be something subtle like a slightly soft corner 'fuzzy' vs a razor sharp corner.

Regarding a 9.6, I think buyers expect to see, no more than, one visible spine tick. Multiple spine ticks or a slightly deeper spine tick should be relegated to 9.4 .

I'm sorry but if your 9.6 book has a spine tick, CGC graded it properly.

I agree with you.. I don't believe a 9.8 should have a visible flaw.

Regarding the book I have, it's barely visible; barely breaks colour. Borderline.