• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Romita Original Captain America Sketch

5 posts in this topic

Hey Team,

Looking for some advice on this piece that a good friend of mine purchased in his store today. Pics below, sketch done at a Wonder-Con back in '99. Roughly 24" x 12" size parchment with a John Romita original Captain America sketch. Any thoughts on value?

hm

Thanks for the help....

2l3WHyHh.jpg

5vrGdIXh.jpg

6aHAn2Yh.jpg

I can't 100% state that it is Romita Sr. by the art, and I'll leave that to the experts. I can state that Romita Sr (and Romita Jr) were both doing inked sketches at Wonder Con in Oakland in 1999. I was there at that show. It's been one of my regrets that I didn't get anything done; as I didn't have a lot of $$$ and I could only afford the sketch by Romita Jr which I was giving to my best man at my wedding that year. (Romita Sr was charging $100 and Romita Jr was $60 for inked sketches.. Got a Spider Man done by Romita Jr and he humorously complained about all the webbing on the costume and tried to talk me into getting Daredevil).

From what memory serves, this looks about right for the sketches I was seeing from Romita Sr at that show, and for the paper that he was doing these sketches on. Like I said.. I'll leave confirmation to some of the experts here who are better at determining these things.

Edited by oceans11

Thanks for that insight! That was the show. He wanted a Cap because he liked the few ones that Sr did. He actually has an ASM 50 and other pieces signed by him at that show as well as a little certificate card signed by Romita too.

(thumbs u

On 10/14/2016 at 6:04 PM, Kevin... said:

Hey Team,

Looking for some advice on this piece that a good friend of mine purchased in his store today. Pics below, sketch done at a Wonder-Con back in '99. Roughly 24" x 12" size parchment with a John Romita original Captain America sketch. Any thoughts on value?

hm

Thanks for the help....

2l3WHyHh.jpg

5vrGdIXh.jpg

6aHAn2Yh.jpg

would you be willing to part with this? Love Romita's work, mostly on spiderman