• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official Despise of Hobgoblin Thread !!!

96 posts in this topic

Technical writing doesn't necessarily need to be 100% correct grammar wise.

Just now reading this thread, but as someone who's been a technical writer for over 10 years, first let me say... 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif. And you learned this WHERE, college boy??? poke2.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif The singular GOAL of the profession is perfection. If you've ever read bad, inaccurate, sloppy, inconsistent documentation...well then, you may understand the need for good documentation, and the need for technical writers/editors.

I think engineers are great. I was in electrical engineering at NCSU for 3 years before I realized that I'm just not "wired" that way and switched to English. I enjoy working with engineers; we need them, and this world is a better place with them in it...BUT, they are not writers, nor should they be expected to be. Their strengths are elsewhere. They're just wired differently, which is fine.

I took tech writing, it was a requirement. It was the easiest class I ever took.

Chemistry was easy for me, but that doesn't make me a chemist, or mean that I have a CLUE what it means to be one in the real world.

For engineers, all you really have to know when writing something is to discuss what you did, how you did it, and what happened.

...which is why you need technical writers to translate it into something that's grammatically correct, consistent, and fill in the "assumption gaps" so it can be understood by its intended audience (saving the Technical Support Department hundreds of man hours).

Read some scientific journals and you'll know what I mean. I bet you could catch several gramatical errors in just about every article.

Which, again, shows why you need technical writers, or at least editors. I doubt that scientific journals turn enough of a profit to even have editors.

I'm sure you can't get away with such things when writing a dissertation for a PhD in sociology, but engineering, it doesn't have to be perfect.

Spoken like a true college student! smile.gif Let us know how things go once you get out in the real world. poke2.gif To be fair, though, if you're still in school, you're not supposed to know this stuff yet. You'll learn. Suffice it to say, engineers don't get paid what they get paid to not care about what they're producing.

Technical writing doesn't necessarily need to be 100% correct grammar wise.

Just now reading this thread, but as someone who's been a technical writer for over 10 years, first let me say... 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif. And you learned this WHERE, college boy??? poke2.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif The singular GOAL of the profession is perfection. If you've ever read bad, inaccurate, sloppy, inconsistent documentation...well then, you may understand the need for good documentation, and the need for technical writers/editors.

I think engineers are great. I was in electrical engineering at NCSU for 3 years before I realized that I'm just not "wired" that way and switched to English. I enjoy working with engineers; we need them, and this world is a better place with them in it...BUT, they are not writers, nor should they be expected to be. Their strengths are elsewhere. They're just wired differently, which is fine.

I took tech writing, it was a requirement. It was the easiest class I ever took.

Chemistry was easy for me, but that doesn't make me a chemist, or mean that I have a CLUE what it means to be one in the real world.

For engineers, all you really have to know when writing something is to discuss what you did, how you did it, and what happened.

...which is why you need technical writers to translate it into something that's grammatically correct, consistent, and fill in the "assumption gaps" so it can be understood by its intended audience (saving the Technical Support Department hundreds of man hours).

Read some scientific journals and you'll know what I mean. I bet you could catch several gramatical errors in just about every article.

Which, again, shows why you need technical writers, or at least editors. I doubt that scientific journals turn enough of a profit to even have editors.

I'm sure you can't get away with such things when writing a dissertation for a PhD in sociology, but engineering, it doesn't have to be perfect.

Spoken like a true college student! smile.gif Let us know how things go once you get out in the real world. poke2.gif To be fair, though, if you're still in school, you're not supposed to know this stuff yet. You'll learn. Suffice it to say, engineers don't get paid what they get paid to not care about what they're producing.

Morning all. A lot of posts here that I'm not even going to bother to read. Chris's is the only one I've seen.

Chris, yeah I understand. And trust me, last night it was blown way out of proportion. I don't care if I make grammatical mistakes on these boards. I see it happen too often to care. As for tech writing, I'm in the process of being published in a scientific journal as we speak, and trust me ... my grammatical errors are going to be few and far between, if any. thumbsup2.gif

And to think if you'd just left out the "of" in the title this thread would've been over 4 pages ago...... Christo_pull_hair.gif

A big attention whore thread like this? Something else would have kept it going...

didn't you already change your name once over some drama? I'm not taking sides or picking on you but didn't you walk this path already? confused-smiley-013.gif

That was a funny thread.

Link? flowerred.gif

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...true#Post766700

flowerred.gif

That's not the one I was thinking of...

There was a link to the previous drama (ie Khurst34's interesting pricing analysis). He left for about a week and then came back as Hobby.

Moderns pricing

"Peace boards. I'm off. Have fun being dickheads. I NEVER said anything about things being worth whatever you want them to be. Stupid . Homes and cars depreciate in condition, which is why the value goes down. But comics books don't if you keep them in the right conditions. So why do they suffer the rath of depreciation as well? I'm just asking you to reflect on that point. Peace out."

BTW, I'd like to note that the Hobgoblin name is not a different account. So technically, not a shill. thumbsup2.gif27_laughing.gif

Anyone else have anything to say to me. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah...WTF is up with that DemoGoblin BS! Were you Macendale or Leeds at the time that happened? insane.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Wasn't Ned Leeds dead before that time? But I also don't believe Hobby was actually the Demogoblin. Wasn't Demogoblin a doppelganger (sp?) created by Magus in the Infinity War? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif