• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase New England
1 1

22 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, mytastebud said:

I've been on the boards for quite a while now. Longer than my profile shows because for years I would just read.  I wouldn't say a word because what's being said is ridiculous and I don't particularly want the negative attention focused back on me. When the 2007 thread was posted I was reading it and thinking how awful it was. Some of the comments made are just embarrassing. Why a moderator didn't step in at the start and control some of the mud slinging I don't know.  

I didn't know Dan passed away. Life is short.  My collection is better because I made multiple purchases over the years from Showcase. Sometimes I overpaid, on rare occasion I had a return. What does it matter now? Most of the time I got books I really really wanted.

I'm sorry to hear he passed away. He was relatively young and it's sad, I wish his family the best.

Someone passing away has nothing to do with selling comics.

However, as to that old thread. I just went back and read the first 2 pages, one of the posters was Stu. I have no idea who the mods were at that time. I don't think people realized it was Stu at the time and he probably was not reported. That ID probably had his most posts ever.

As for the comic book selling, in that thread Dan mentioned that he didn't have time to count pages. That was very honest of him, but it would have been helpful for him to disclose that before a sale, since once you GOT the books if you counted the pages you were then responsible for return shipping.

I know that the person who taught me the most about GA books emphasized counting pages, so that was the first thing I did, hence my returns. I'm not sure it was something everyone else did and many were disappointed once the books were graded.

His behavior was pretty erratic back in the day.

I remember he had a very high grade x-men #1 at a show in maybe 1993. He wanted $2000 for it. I was young and poor back then, and just another small dealer at comic shows in New England. I was pretty sure I had a buyer but didn't have the $2000 but Dan let me take the book with no payment, just trusting I was going to set up at the same show as him the following weekend.  I flipped it for $2400 two days later, then the next weekend I saw Dan and gave him his $2000.  Then he was mad I sold it, wished he had never let me take it, and wanted me to give him the contact info for the person I sold it to. I told him I couldn't do that.  He reluctantly took his $2000 and moved on...but he was pissed about the deal (a deal which he had offered in the first place),  Of course, if I had just kept the X-Men #1 instead it would probably grade as a 9.0 or better now (assuming it had all the pages!) and I'd have made a lot of money.

Then there was the time Dan was closing down a retail store he had bought in Holyoke MA. He advertised a huge $1 per comic sale for everything in the store. I spent 4 hours going through everything and pulled about 100 comics...when I took them up to the counter Dan was there and he looked through them and said "oh, I'm not going to sell these for $1".  I guess he was fine letting me work for free for 4 hours to find the stuff that was better than $1 for him.

He also once offered me a job to manage that store before it closed. He was super excited about it at the comic show I talked to him at about it...we met for lunch to discuss that week and then he just blanked me and never called back about it again.

That, and the exaggerating I described before, are the sorts of memories I have of Dan.  All these years later and I find the memories amusing and quirky...no ill will at all....except toward myself for not keeping that X-Men #1 for my own!

Dan is definitely a part of my fond memories from the 1990s New England comic show circuit.