• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Relaunching X-Men Franchise

31 posts in this topic

Your wish may be granted.

RUMOR: Fox Planning To Revisit The Dark Phoenix Saga For The Next X-MEN Movie

Zo5CnY8.png

I'm hearing (from sources) that there's some talk around Xavier’s mansion about a possible return of the DARK PHOENIX storyline. Even though we saw glimpses of the PHOENIX in the previous X-Films (X-Men: The Last Stand in timeline one, X-Men: Apocalypse in timeline two) , this time it will be the central focus of the movie. If a reboot of the series isn't imminent, that would mean the return of Sophie Turner's Jean Grey, whose growing power would become a threat to a team of X-Men. In the comics and the 1990s Animated Series, the PHOENIX FORCE is cosmic (like from space) where previous films have treated it more like a split personality in Jean that Xavier tries to control. At least that's where Apocalypse seemed to be going (and as a bonus they don't have to send the X-Men to space). To me it’s a smart route to go. While the AVENGERS and Disney get ready to battle THANOS and the INFINITY GAUNTLET, it looks like FOX is going to double down on the troubled team aspect of the X-Men where they've found success before.

For those that are unfamiliar with the full potential of a DARK PHOENIX story, the PHOENIX is possibly the strongest force in the Marvel universe. The power of the PHOENIX FORCE not only defeated APOCALYPSE in the most recent 20th Century Fox movie, it also defeated GALACTUS in the comics. The mother flipping world devourer. I’m sure Marvel Studios would love to have his rights again in the future, don’t you? The two times it has appeared on screen in the past it has been underwhelming. Brett Ratner made it a side-car story to the mutant cure and Bryan Singer didn't elaborate on the PHOENIX outside of "fire bird power." This could be an opportunity to get it right.

as much as i love this story line... they keep trying to jam straight to it... even in the cartoons.... it took time to reach the payoff in the comics... and it would take more then one movie (in my opinion) ...to get it done right... you've got almost 60yrs worth of stories... pick something else!

Sounds like JL doesn't want be in another X-Men film.
Between The Hunger Games and X-Men franchises, she should be all set, I swear I think they cost her an award for American Hustle, from her peers. Like RDJ, I think it's too late now as she cashed out on her "craft," as other actors and filmmakers struggle to get their low budget message movies out.

X-Men: Michael Fassbender Uncertain About His Future As Magneto

14767124949981.jpg

Fassbender has so far made three appearances as Magneto, in X-Men: First Class, X-Men: Days of Future Past, and most recently in X-Men: Apocalypse. However, this means that his original contract for the franchise has now been fulfilled, leaving his potential return to the X-Men films in doubt.

Fassbender was a guest on The Empire Film Podcast to discuss his most recent endeavor, Assassin’s Creed. He was then asked if he would return to the X-Men movies in the future or if his days as Magneto are done. If Fassbender already knows the answer to that question, then he didn’t let on in his response:

"I don’t know to be honest. I haven’t made any sort of decision on it because I have no idea what’s happening next with the franchise to be honest."

A New Listing May Have Uncovered The Title Of The Next X-MEN Film; Plus Details On When It Might Start Filming

IVxGBHT.png

X-Men: Supernova

If recent reports are to be believed, that will either be the official title or is the working title for the seventh main storyline X-Men film (eleventh overall).

The title has been circulating since around mid-December, but until this week was believed to be the working title for Josh Boone's X-Men: The New Mutants. However, that all changed when Production Weekly released their latest issue, for the week of January 12th, which featured not the usual one, but two separate X-Men listings: one for the aforementioned New Mutants spin-off and one for the mysterious X-Men: Supernova.

Further details weren't provided and it's still up in the air even today whether or not the title is actually in reference to a new X-Men film or if it's just a mistake, but based on a recently posted second listing, it's starting to look like it might indeed be the former. The production tracking website My Entertainment World updated their site this morning with listings for the New Mutants feature film, which as expected will begin filming in late-April in Montréal, and also opened a new listing for X-Men: Supernova with a expected shoot date of mid-May 2017, also in Montreal.

Since the Fox studio leaders are considering a total relaunch, this seems like an interesting option to consider how to address its Fantastic Four property.

Could Fox's 'X-Men' Movies Rescue Its Failing 'Fantastic Four' Franchise?

What if the friends and foes of the FF got folded into the wider 'X-Men' movie universe?

When it comes to Fox's Marvel licenses, there are two inescapable facts: First, that people really seem to like those X-Men-related movies, with even satellite projects like Deadpool and Logan eliciting excitement from beyond the core fan base. Second, it's apparently impossible to make a good Fantastic Four movie — or, at least, Fox hasn't worked out how to do it, leaving that property essentially dead in terms of a big-screen franchise.

That second one feels particularly sad, when you consider the strength of the characters contained inside the Fantastic Four property. Not the eponymous quartet itself — indeed, it could be argued that, Ben Grimm aside, the Fantastic Four are the least interesting characters in the entire FF mythology — but everyone that surrounds it: Galactus and the Silver Surfer. Doctor Doom. The Skrulls and the Kree. The Impossible Man, the Puppet Master, the Mole Man and so on — there is an army of potential trapped inside a franchise that seems destined to go nowhere.

So why not rescue those characters by placing them in X-Men movies?

Taking the Shi'ar Empire stories and blending in Silver Surfer and Galactus - in their traditional character designs - could be quite the huge movie. Especially if they select a very capable director to weave it all together.

'Trial of Galactus' could use quite a few of these characters.

FOX could have easily done an X-Men "Guardians of the Galaxy" type movie involving them being plucked from Earth along with the FF by the Shi'ar Empire to assist them in fighting the threat of an alien race. At the end we find out that the alien race can shape shift

Phase II - Skrull Invasion

Phase III - Galactus.

That's what I mapped out in two minutes.

How about the Fox team first read the comics and then make a good movie. They do that and I might go and see the movies at the cinema again. As long as they frack up the characters like they are doing now, I will not bother watching the X-Men movies when they come out. X-3 was bad, Future was terrible and I could not even force myself to see the last one...

And the new X-Franchise plans continue - but in a very interesting way.

Alpha Flight, Exiles And More Are On X-Men Movie Producer's Radar

Going forward, the filmmakers behind the upcoming slate of X-Men movies will continue to expand their roster of characters adapted from Marvel Comics to their big screen adventures. Speaking to ComicBook.com in an exclusive interview ahead of Logan's release, producers Simon Kinberg and Hutch Parker revealed a peak into the future of their plans.

"We have a sense of where each of all of the existing characters go from Deadpool to New Mutants to the mainland X-Men movies to potentially even X-23," Kinberg said. "Then, there's other characters, like X-Flight, like Exiles... There's a lot of characters to mine going forward. We're still sort of in this phase where now we've completed the Wolverine story with Logan and we begin hopefully with New Mutants and eventually Gambit and continue with Deadpool."

What's most interesting about Kinberg's comments is that X-Flight, likely meaning Alpha Flight, and the Exiles are on the radar for the future of the X-Men franchise. Alpha Flight, first introduced in April of 1979 in X-Men #120, consists of characters such as Guardians, Northstar, Aurora, Sasquatch, Shaman, Snowbird, and Puck. One of their first missions was to retrieve Wolverine! The Exiles would also be a largely new to television bunch, consisting of Blink (who was recently cast for the X-Men TV series), Nocturne, Morph, Thunderbird, Mimic, and Magnus.

As for the films immediately on the slate ahead, the creative announcements were confirmed, with The A-Team's Joe Carnahan in place to write the X-Force movie and an unnamed director being eyed for the job. Drew Goddard will also be teaming up with Deadpool writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick for the sequel.

"Drew Goddard has been a consultant and part of the process and brain trust on Deadpool 2 but Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick are still working on the -script of Deadpool 2 and will be there every step of the way and will be there on set the way they were on Deadpool 1 and will be a guiding force with Ryan [Reynolds]," Kinberg said. "They're like creative partners with Ryan and we call them the Deadpool team."