• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM has lost it's way

49 posts in this topic

The "new" Spider design on the front of his costume is just driving me insane!!

This title has lost it's way in so many ways.

It makes me so sad.

I have been collecting ASM for 30+ years and it's just unreadable.

What Slott has done to the character is just shameful.

Slott and crew can't leave this title soon enough.

I have no idea how Marvel has allowed Peter/Spidey to turn into another Tony Stark/Iron Man.

The every day man quality about Peter has vanished and I have no idea who he is now.

Then stop buying them, or speculating on them, or

whatever it it you do with them . . . (shrug)

I love how the trolls come out of the woodwork and contribute zero to threads. Hilarious how they presume to know all the answers to everything and how everyone else is thinking.

Maybe my love for the character keeps me coming back. Or maybe I'm just hoping for my Bobby emerging from the shower moment.

More useful posts would be appreciated and less mocking will go a long way to making the boards great like they used to be, much like ASM.

The reason titles get to continue is because of people like you who buy them mindlessly and without regard for quality.

It makes me so sad.

I have no idea how Marvel has allowed Peter/Spidey to turn into another Tony Stark/Iron Man.

The every day man quality about Peter has vanished and I have no idea who he is now.

I love how the trolls come out of the woodwork and contribute zero to threads. Hilarious how they presume to know all the answers to everything and how everyone else is thinking.

Maybe my love for the character keeps me coming back. Or maybe I'm just hoping for my Bobby emerging from the shower moment.

More useful posts would be appreciated and less mocking will go a long way to making the boards great like they used to be, much like ASM.

The reason titles get to continue is because of people like you who buy them mindlessly and without regard for quality.

Why are you assuming I read or even buy the title?

I never stated that I did.

It makes me so sad.

Uh, no offense intended - sorry! I was simply saying, don't support what you don't like. :foryou:

(hardly a troll) Do we even know each other? hm

It makes me so sad.

Uh, no offense intended - sorry! I was simply saying, don't support what you don't like. :foryou:

(hardly a troll) Do we even know each other? hm

All good - I shouldn't have used the word troll :foryou:

It makes me so sad.

Yup.

I don't think it's Slott; I think it's Marvel, and the experimental attitude they've taken to their legacy characters.

People are dying for a return to a focus on story.

I still buy it and read it, the last two reboots have not been very good.

I hate the Parker Industries thing & hope it goes away soon, the other clone stuff that has come up lately plot-wise is all comic book event driven garbage that is usually temporarily titillating and then forgotten. I do hate the painted covers they've started using for ASM and Avengers, they're horrible.

Ten years ago if I read somewhere "hey gwen's back, the real one" I would have been :o ...now I really don't care. I don't even care if it sticks because almost any version of a Peter Parker with a secret identity would be better than the current version.

(shrug)

It makes me so sad.

Yup.

I don't think it's Slott; I think it's Marvel, and the experimental attitude they've taken to their legacy characters.

People are dying for a return to a focus on story.

I agree with this. They should have just kept all of the experimental stuff in the ultimate universe!

It makes me so sad.

You mentioned you've been collecting ASM for 30+ years and you seem to know what's going on in the title, what else am I supposed to think? I've heard the same thing many times from other people.

I try to dip back in every now and then (I keep Marvel Unlimited active) but it was rare to find anything I could sustain.

The last one was Aaron's Thor, I read that from #1 for what I believe was three arcs and it was solid. Mostly though? A pretty poor lineup of funny books.

Aaron's Thor is probably the only thing from Marvel I have enjoyed since Old Man Logan so a good series every 5 years or so.

I try to dip back in every now and then (I keep Marvel Unlimited active) but it was rare to find anything I could sustain.

The last one was Aaron's Thor, I read that from #1 for what I believe was three arcs and it was solid. Mostly though? A pretty poor lineup of funny books.

Aaron's Thor is probably the only thing from Marvel I have enjoyed since Old Man Logan so a good series every 5 years or so.

Man, those aren't even baseball numbers . . . :P

It makes me so sad.

You mentioned you've been collecting ASM for 30+ years and you seem to know what's going on in the title, what else am I supposed to think? I've heard the same thing many times from other people.

There are other ways to know what is going on in any series besides reading them - I read other internet sites and talk to many people at my LCS about many different titles. And like SquareChaos, I do dip in now and then and actually read a full issue to see if it has improved. Unfortunately it hasn't. But like others have expressed in this thread (Bababooey and the silly Parker Industries) , I am hoping that things will get better and the Peter/Spidey that we all love will return but that remains to be seen.

Yes I have been collecting ASM for 30+ years but my main focus is on issues 1-150. I wish the newer stuff would grab and keep my attention.

I guess I am a glutton for punishment I got my first Spider-man book 40 or so years ago, and I still buy and read every issue. While over the years I sure don't agree with all that has been written I still look forward to what PP is being dumped on. You may love it or hate it and not agree but it still is Spidey.

I'm going to have to be the lone dissenting voice here. I actually have been enjoying ASM during Slott's tenure. Even the current clone redux story is an interesting take.

I recognize that it's going to be a few more years before it'll somehow get unwound but seeing an actual long-running change ever since the deal with the devil has been interesting. Like there's actual story progression & character development & if you come back a year or 2 later, most of the characters are all in wholly different places than they were for most of the post-college years thru the 90's when it was just a holding pattern for almost 3 decades of "pete has to worry about rent & the current girlfriend & aunt may's health".

It seems like they've actually advanced all the characters in a way that most Marvel books haven't been allowed to in some time. Sort of like what the X-Men was back in the 80's and early 90's before that fell into a holding pattern as well.

The last ASM arc I enjoyed was Sins of the Past. That was a classic storyline!

It has all been downhill since this:

normanosborngwenstacy_zps8303bd10.jpg

Seriously.

I quit reading ASM long before this storyline took place, but I do feel that everything has been in a downward spiral since. I know many older readers that abandoned the book with the clone saga of the 90's and who can blame them. They haven't missed out on anything since then.

The last ASM arc I enjoyed was Sins of the Past. That was a classic storyline!

It has all been downhill since this:

normanosborngwenstacy_zps8303bd10.jpg

Seriously.

I quit reading ASM long before this storyline took place, but I do feel that everything has been in a downward spiral since. I know many older readers that abandoned the book with the clone saga of the 90's and who can blame them. They haven't missed out on anything since then.

The Sins of the Past was the first Spidey arc I actually bought and read since the end of the McFarlane run. It was awesome. (thumbs u