• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM King Comics 1 & Fantastic Comics 1

15 posts in this topic

Sorry Folks, these are the only scans I am providing...

I left these in their sleeves b/c I just didn't want to fuss with them any more than I already have - both covers detached. In the FC 1 the cover is entirely split as well. In the KC 1 it seems that some glue is holding the very split cover together around the 10 cent circle. Back covers in about the same shape as the fronts.

Otherwise interior in very nice shape - all pages present and accounted for w/no cut-outs, pieces missing, etc.

Do I have glue removed? Could I get up to 1.5's on these?

KC1fc.jpeg

FC1fc.jpeg

KIng Comics - 2.0

Fantastic Comics - 3.0 (Nice issue - I'm a big Fletcher Hanks fan!)

a 3.0 with a detached, totally split cover?

Also - thinking I need to have that glue professionally removed...

I'm learning grading. Please wait for the experts to show up. Your FC looks in same shape as some cgc 3.0 I have here.

KIng Comics - 2.0

Fantastic Comics - 3.0 (Nice issue - I'm a big Fletcher Hanks fan!)

a 3.0 with a detached, totally split cover?

Also - thinking I need to have that glue professionally removed...

I'm learning grading. Please wait for the experts to show up. Your FC looks in same shape as some cgc 3.0 I have here.

detached, split covers usually go 1.0 to 1.5 at best

the glue is yet another issue to deal with - want to keep this blue label

I really should have prefessed your PGM request with the fact that I'm a novice. I have on all my other PGM grades.

What can I say? There's a place for me in Sarasota. :acclaim:

BTW, thanks for the 411 re: detached covers.

I love Flether Hanks. Fantagraphics had a new retrospective of his stuff coming out this month

Sorry Folks, these are the only scans I am providing...

I left these in their sleeves b/c I just didn't want to fuss with them any more than I already have - both covers detached. In the FC 1 the cover is entirely split as well. In the KC 1 it seems that some glue is holding the very split cover together around the 10 cent circle. Back covers in about the same shape as the fronts.

Otherwise interior in very nice shape - all pages present and accounted for w/no cut-outs, pieces missing, etc.

Do I have glue removed? Could I get up to 1.5's on these?

KC1fc.jpeg

FC1fc.jpeg

I don't know how they grade these.

I think you're in right range, 1.5 is reasonable. Not sure they would reach 2.0 with split spine/detached cover.

Don't know how the glue affects the grade, if I guess I'd say Amateur-Slight R.

The one comparably ranged book I recall from the grading contest last summer was this one -FANTASTIC COMICS #5 -with a great looking cover, but split/detached, and BRITTLE paper. Got a 1.0.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9499913&fpart=1

Love the King 1! I think that is such a cool/under appreciated book.

Full length spine splits on early GA books seem to get a slight grade bump from CGC, so whereas a Silver Age book with the same defect would probably be a .5, these should definitely be in the 1.0 to 1.5 range; that is what I've always gotten on books like this when I submit them. I'd personally probably try to get the glue off the King 1, but if it ends up taking away a piece of the cover and making it look less attractive, I would say the price difference probably won't be that big (i.e., a blue label 1.0 with a quarter sized chunk out of the price area vs. a slight glue purple label 1.5 with no missing piece would probably be about equal in value).

Full length spine splits on early GA books seem to get a slight grade bump from CGC, so whereas a Silver Age book with the same defect would probably be a .5, these should definitely be in the 1.0 to 1.5 range; that is what I've always gotten on books like this when I submit them. I'd personally probably try to get the glue off the King 1, but if it ends up taking away a piece of the cover and making it look less attractive, I would say the price difference probably won't be that big (i.e., a blue label 1.0 with a quarter sized chunk out of the price area vs. a slight glue purple label 1.5 with no missing piece would probably be about equal in value).

Thx

Also - have you seen the Flash Gordon story in this? It's listed in OSPG as 1st appearance - but it seems like the story starts midway through some adventure that was already ongoing...then ends just a few panels later. So cool tho...