• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Now I know the world has gone mad.

33 posts in this topic

27_laughing.gif I knew what auction you were referring to before I even opened the link. Just an absolutely asinine price paid for this book!! screwy.gif

Really? So what is the going rate for a 9.6?

I could care less. 20 times near-mint guide for a minor "key" with white showing on the spine?? foreheadslap.gif Idiotic!

27_laughing.gif I knew what auction you were referring to before I even opened the link. Just an absolutely asinine price paid for this book!! screwy.gif

Whatever it is, it is not a real world price. The only place that book will sell for over $200 is online again. If you were to bring it to the real world at a store and sell it there attempting to make a profit, it would never sell. I know this idea might sound crazy, but why not buy a 9.2 that looks almost as good (maybe as good from external appearances if there is an interior error) and save a couple thousand dollars? 893whatthe.gif

I could care less. 20 times near-mint guide for a minor "key" with white showing on the spine?? foreheadslap.gif Idiotic!

893applaud-thumb.gif

People love that book and there's never been one for sale in that grade. 9.6 FF 112s don't grow on trees. Only 3 out of 161 books have graded out at 9.6 and those went straight into collections. It's possible that another 9.6 might not come up for sale for another few years. And believe it or not, most people don't really care about a little white on the spine, especially on a book they have been searching for for a long time.

People love that book and there's never been one for sale in that grade. 9.6 FF 112s don't grow on trees. Only 3 out of 161 books have graded out at 9.6 and those went straight into collections. It's possible that another 9.6 might not come up for sale for another few years. And believe it or not, most people don't really care about a little white on the spine, especially on a book they have been searching for for a long time.

Are you trying to tell me that, when laying down 20x Guide, the key is the label, not how the book looks?

I'm sorry, but this friggin' hobby has lost all sense of perspective if this is now the case.

Are you trying to tell me that, when laying down 20x Guide, the key is the label, not how the book looks?

I'm sorry, but this friggin' hobby has lost all sense of perspective if this is now the case.

Yeah, post-CGC it is upside down. People used to hold a book in their hands and look for nicks, bends, folds, etc. Now they only grading tool they use is how centered the cover is. From 1979-1999 I think I only heard the word "centered" once at a store, show, or convention. Now, it's 3-4 times a day.

Yeah, post-CGC it is upside down. People used to hold a book in their hands and look for nicks, bends, folds, etc. Now they only grading tool they use is how centered the cover is. From 1979-1999 I think I only heard the word "centered" once at a store, show, or convention. Now, it's 3-4 times a day.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Doesn't that totally contradict your statement that 'And believe it or not, most people don't really care about a little white on the spine, especially on a book they have been searching for for a long time.'.

Do they or don't they 'care about a little white on the spine'?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Doesn't that totally contradict your statement that 'And believe it or not, most people don't really care about a little white on the spine, especially on a book they have been searching for for a long time.'.

Do they or don't they 'care about a little white on the spine'?

I hear it 3-4 times a day on this board. People bidding don't seem to care about a little white on the spine, especially on a book they have been searching for for a long time.

"Yeah, post-CGC it is upside down. People used to hold a book in their hands and look for nicks, bends, folds, etc. Now they only grading tool they use is how centered the cover is. From 1979-1999 I think I only heard the word "centered" once at a store, show, or convention. Now, it's 3-4 times a day."

Yes, but in olden times, didn't we just knock a book down to VF if there was too much white showing or the cover was badly miscut but still pristine (not saying that's the case here... I'm thinking of more extreme examples where CGC still gave a 9.6), well, that's what I always did and the shops I went to.

"Yeah, post-CGC it is upside down. People used to hold a book in their hands and look for nicks, bends, folds, etc. Now they only grading tool they use is how centered the cover is. From 1979-1999 I think I only heard the word "centered" once at a store, show, or convention. Now, it's 3-4 times a day."

Yes, but in olden times, didn't we just knock a book down to VF if there was too much white showing or the cover was badly miscut but still pristine (not saying that's the case here... I'm thinking of more extreme examples where CGC still gave a 9.6), well, that's what I always did and the shops I went to.

thumbsup2.gif

Always down-grade for poor wraps/cuts.

That was the 80s/90s for you.

As they say...it only takes two determined deep pocketed collectors and the sky's the limit. I need to find some comics that Serpi wants... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

Serpi is learning though - he used to place early 893censored-thumb.gif off its mine bids and get punished a lot more. Looks like someone sniped him, if you can call it that at that price.