• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on CGC'd book values???

49 posts in this topic

I really wonder how much "looking" and analysis OPG is actually doing.

IDK but with 25 or so advisors it holds quite a bit of experience compiled from real world data .

Now whether or not people feel that data is biased might be topic for another thread.

Too many sales like this for me to ever completely abandon the Guide.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=689571&title=IRONMAN

not even white pages!

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=689571&title=IRONMAN

Alittle confused as in your last post you imply the guide is good reference point . I like the guide for that.

Woops, I'll phrase it better. Totally in agreement witchoo.

An Overstreet advisor put it best... whether or not a Guide price is accurate, it can still be relevant.

"Half-Guide," "3x Guide" -- what matters is that Guide is still a point of reference.

lol

Everything sells for some multiple of Guide, whether it's 1x, 0.4356x, 6x, 0.75x, 20x... But where can I get the guide that tells me that multiple for each issue and grade?

An Overstreet advisor put it best... whether or not a Guide price is accurate, it can still be relevant.

"Half-Guide," "3x Guide" -- what matters is that Guide is still a point of reference.

lol

Everything sells for some multiple of Guide, whether it's 1x, 0.4356x, 6x, 0.75x, 20x... But where can I get the guide that tells me that multiple for each issue and grade?

Which is why it's a convenient reference. A book that's consistently 2x Guide? Better not sell yours for less.

As for what you're looking for... the good Doctor Strange is taking appointments. ;)

not even white pages!

That clearly explains why this CGC 9.8 copy sold for only $15K or a piddly multiple of only 258X its most recent sale of $58 for a CGC 9.6 graded copy. lol

If I was the consignor of this red hot Iron Man 30, I would be totally PO that it did not hit a multiple of 500X as I would be expecting something in the neighborhood of at least $30K for this one of a kind book. :screwy:

The last two regular 7.5s that actually SOLD on ebay went for $353 and $278 respectively. The variant went for $509 in 7.5.

Asking prices are just that, asking prices.

So, in terms of actual SALES, it seems that CGC books of this issue in the 7.5 region are selling below oversrtreet, except the variant cover, which is above (does OPG break out the prices?)

Ok EVERYONE keeps talking about some variant issue of this book!? Everytime I try to research it I get the answer "there is no variant of this book, the photo back cover with pinup of Kirk is the only version. There is no comic that has an ad on the back. So what is everyone talking about!? I'm SOOOO confused now!?

They do lol. The whole reason I'm looking for this book is cuz William Shatner is going to be at a local ComicCon this coming year. I LOVE him! Especially as "Denny Crane" lol, so I wanna have something worthy of him signing when I meet him. So essentially I'm going to have to crack the book open for him to sign it, but have it witnessed & sent back to get CGC'd again so the signature is sealed forever =)

Shatner is awesome!

If you're doing this out of love, why not just have him sign the case? should be a bunch cheaper, no?

For me yes out of love, i can honestly say I've never watched anything he's been in and been disappointed! Even his newest show "Better late than never" lol. But I've had baseballs and other stuff signed by people and it fades in less than a decade. In the encapsaled book it should keep the signature prestine. And as I love Shatner, I'm sure my son (who's 3 now) will have no idea who he is when I leave it to him in my will along with my many other key issues. So his signature on this book & CGC'd should make the book more valuable when he's older, or if he decides to keep passing the torch along from generation to generation =)

Ok, let me narrow it down to a specific book at the moment. But I've ran into this at almost every silverage book I've wanted tho. I'm looking for a Star Trek Gold Key #1. I see the 7.5 selling for $550 where a 8.0 is only overstreeted @ $488. The 3.5 selling for $225 when a 4.0 is overstreeted @ $122.

So I guess my question is what is considered a "fair" price compared to the overstreet price when "shopping" for a book? At the end NOONE wants to overpay for a book. How do I know it's TRUE worth?

And why am I not getting any email notifications that people are responding to this!? lol

I just happened to log in and check my thread because I thought it strange no one replied at all!? Then I saw you 2 did. I used to get notifications of thread activity. Strange =(

The last two regular 7.5s that actually SOLD on ebay went for $353 and $278 respectively. The variant went for $509 in 7.5.

So, in terms of actual SALES, it seems that CGC books of this issue in the 7.5 region are selling below oversrtreet, except the variant cover, which is above (does OPG break out the prices?)

Of course, it's only three sales and there are probably other recorded sales elsewhere (that GPA should advise you of) that may alter how you view those numbers.

:gossip: There is no variant of Gold Key Star Trek #1

Overstreet USED TO BE wrong on this. Which caused almost everyone else to be wrong too. ;)

ETA: OPG must have corrected themselves somewhere along the line. :grin:

Ok, let me narrow it down to a specific book at the moment. But I've ran into this at almost every silverage book I've wanted tho. I'm looking for a Star Trek Gold Key #1. I see the 7.5 selling for $550 where a 8.0 is only overstreeted @ $488. The 3.5 selling for $225 when a 4.0 is overstreeted @ $122.

So I guess my question is what is considered a "fair" price compared to the overstreet price when "shopping" for a book? At the end NOONE wants to overpay for a book. How do I know it's TRUE worth?

And why am I not getting any email notifications that people are responding to this!? lol

I just happened to log in and check my thread because I thought it strange no one replied at all!? Then I saw you 2 did. I used to get notifications of thread activity. Strange =(

one slab that sold says it's a variant, the others do not. Are all star trek 1 the same and cgc messed this up?

Of course, it's only three sales and there are probably other recorded sales elsewhere (that GPA should advise you of) that may alter how you view those numbers.

Overstreet USED TO BE wrong on this. Which caused almost everyone else to be wrong too. ;)

------------

So cgc never bothered checking before they said "variant" on the slab? It's a pretty common book, this shouldn't be a mystery.

one slab that sold says it's a variant, the others do not. Are all star trek 1 the same and cgc messed this up?

------------

So cgc never bothered checking before they said "variant" on the slab? It's a pretty common book, this shouldn't be a mystery.

Things like this are why some people fight against the spread of misinformation.

------------

Things like this are why some people fight against the spread of misinformation.

And why some people fight for it! :cool:

Actually overstreet specifically SAYS there is no variant of this issue. #2 has an A & B version. But not 1

Okay so they must have corrected this (haven't looked at an OPG in a long time).

Thanks.

In light of this (because as my wife loves to say I can't let things go lol),I called the CGC a few minutes ago to findout why they put "back cover variant" on some books but not all since they're all the same. And gave a serial # of 1 saying variant & I added there is no variant for issue #1. She informed me they were informed of this awhile ago and only older stabbed books havevthis on them anymore. Any book since the discovery of the "no variant" that they've encapsulated since then doesn't say it anymore. So moving forward at least it's right! lol:makepoint:

So I guess my question is what is considered a "fair" price compared to the overstreet price when "shopping" for a book? At the end NOONE wants to overpay for a book. How do I know it's TRUE worth? =(

The only method to find the truest worth of a comic book at any given time is to view the results of no reserve auctions such as ebay, comiclink etc. Be wary that these results can be skewed by shill bidders. In my experience many dealers tend to inflate their asking price in anticipation of the invariable haggler. Collector/Ebay dealers should expect lower sale prices than established dealers.