• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Superhero Battle Stayed With You Emotionally?

55 posts in this topic

Great series. I'll never forget when Wolvie stated that he wouldn't follow Cap because he's " the least of us ", and THOR stepping up and saying that he would follow Cap through the Gates of Hades .

Captain America: BEST LEADER EVER hail.gif

never secret wars 893whatthe.gifsorry.gif so who is "they" dropped the mountain on them? confused-smiley-013.gif

The Molecule Man..gossip.gif

otherwise known as "Mr. Superfluous," because that's what he made everyone else. or could have...

Wait, I forgot one ....

The Spartans vs. the Persians in the battle at the Hot Gates of Thermopylae in Frank Miller's "300." cloud9.gif

An underappreciated series, for sure. But hey, if you're going to bring in non-superhero battles to this thread then I think the most beautiful fight ever in comics is the Spitfires vs. the Tiger tanks in Our Army at War 244. Russ Heath rules.

Marc

Here I was thinking, "Man will I get [#@$%!!!] for the Firelord V Spidey fight being my favorite."

I had a little comic book store in the back of my parents' store when I was in high school and that issue was a definite favorite of the Marc's Comic Corner crowd!

"Jim Shooter rules! cloud9.gif"

He wrote the two Avengers issues I was talking about too, the 177 and 220. I've always appreciated his stuff.

Marc

Since it hasn't been mentioned: Fantastic Four 39 and 40.

The FF have lost their powers (Ben is human again) and Dr. Doom takes over the Baxter Building. Reed has rigged up ways for them to "imitate" their old powers and with Daredevil's help they try to get back to the Baxter Building to confront Doom. Without their powers Doom effortlessly slaps them around until Reed (of course) uses a cosmic ray enhancer to get their powers back. Doom still has them beat until Reed zaps Ben, against Ben's will, and turns him back into the Thing. Enraged at Doom for making him become a monster again, Ben gets pummeled every way imaginable by everything Doom can throw at him for about 5 pages, but takes it all, finally breaks through and gets his hands on Doom, where he crushes his hands and armored gloves and starts ripping out wires and smashing his armor to smithereens, until Reed intervenes and stops him from killing Doom. Doom limps away, soundly defeated and humiliated. And Ben walks out the door, furious that Reed turned him back into a monster.

One of the all-time greats, in my mind second only Amazing Spider-Man 31-33 for emotional battles.

Fantastic Four # 25 & # 26. Classic Hulk Vs Thing, Fantastic Four with an early Avenger's cross-over & with Captain America. A lot going for those two books!

Yeah you only have to look at the cover of FF 25 big Hulk against a little Ben Grimm / Thing .

cloud9.gif

Here I was thinking, "Man will I get [#@$%!!!] for the Firelord V Spidey fight being my favorite."

I had a little comic book store in the back of my parents' store when I was in high school and that issue was a definite favorite of the Marc's Comic Corner crowd!

"Jim Shooter rules! cloud9.gif"

He wrote the two Avengers issues I was talking about too, the 177 and 220. I've always appreciated his stuff.

Marc

Yep, it's a real loss to the industry that he's not writing comics anymore. Christo_pull_hair.gif