• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WILL ALLENTOWN DETECTIVE #38 MEET RESERVE?

112 posts in this topic

i know jp has 3 high grade marvel 1s..

the pay copy

the white rose copy

and a non pedigree...

Yet another example that JP WAS the market for the last few years when it came to mega-ticket GA. You just have to wonder what prices would have been like without him setting artificially high benchmarks. Guess we'll find out soon...

There is nothing from stopping them from placing the Tec 38 just under the minimum of what Parrino will take for it. I am sure they have agreements with him regarding minimum acceptable bids, buyer's premium and so forth.

Heritage allows sellers to set reserves, and the reserve is disclosed several days before auction's end, so why do they need to do some under-the-table deal to set a reserve?

Anyways, given the relatively low price that the Marvel 1 original art just sold for, it would appear your paranoia is misplaced.

Yet another example that JP WAS the market for the last few years when it came to mega-ticket GA. You just have to wonder what prices would have been like without him setting artificially high benchmarks. Guess we'll find out soon...

Fact.

no. that would be shilling. Totally different from bumping up a lot to the price below the official reserve bid. You describe a gentlemans aggreement between seller and auction house.... and as described a pure sham. Why would Heritage or any other reputable or semi-reputable (take your pick) enter into such a deal that can only hurt them?

I cant say 100% that they wouldnt, or didnt in this case, but as shady as any of us expect Herirage to be, this just sems unnessarily close to the edge for no gain.

Close to the edge how? Where else would he sell this book? If it reached 155k previously, why not contact the previous bidder and sell it to them? Why list on Heritage again? Why not put it in Heritage with an agreement on the minimum selling price/BP? With the appropriate agreements in place no one would take a hit if it doesn't sell, so why not give it a shot? Then it can be trumped up in industry rags like Scoop and CBG as having been another "record sale." But I digress.

Maybe so for high-ticket $100k+ items, but hardly the entire GA market. So instead of $350,000 for the Marvel #1, it should have been only $150,000, or whatever. He purchased a lot of HG More Fun books, some of which were in today's auction. On his site he had them at ridiculous prices, and for the most part many books today sold at or somewhat above what they sold for in 2002 (primarily). HOWEVER, many of them, especially the HG 9.2+, sold for multiples of OS. And there is still a stready increase in value of the HG books particuarly each year.

I am not concerned. BUT for those who are, I will gladly buy your GA collections now so you can take your cash and run! 893applaud-thumb.gifcloud9.gif

the price that tec 38 goes for will help to confirm your j.p theory...i agree with it,but im not jumping to conclusions on just 1 sale....lets see what the tec 38 sale tells us about jp inflating the market,we will know by tomorrow...

Maybe so for high-ticket $100k+ items, but hardly the entire GA market. So instead of $350,000 for the Marvel #1, it should have been only $150,000, or whatever. He purchased a lot of HG More Fun books, some of which were in today's auction. On his site he had them at ridiculous prices, and for the most part many books today sold at or somewhat above what they sold for in 2002 (primarily). HOWEVER, many of them, especially the HG 9.2+, sold for multiples of OS. And there is still a stready increase in value of the HG books particuarly each year.

Yes, I've been taking great pains to make it clear that I'm talking about only the top-top end of the market, for $100K+ books, as that seems to be the area where JP has been making the biggest splash. This of course begs the question whether there will be a trickle-down effect? The consensus on these boards thus far seems to range from "none" to "minimal". I am not quite so sanguine, but I'm not as certain as I am on the top end market either.

no. that would be shilling. Totally different from bumping up a lot to the price below the official reserve bid. You describe a gentlemans aggreement between seller and auction house.... and as described a pure sham. Why would Heritage or any other reputable or semi-reputable (take your pick) enter into such a deal that can only hurt them?

I cant say 100% that they wouldnt, or didnt in this case, but as shady as any of us expect Herirage to be, this just sems unnessarily close to the edge for no gain.

Close to the edge how? .

Close to the edge of acceptable or perhaps legal activity for an auction house.

Ugh! Only $110,000 plus the juice. boo.gifboo.gifboo.gif

That's 6k more than it sold for before, so it's not the worst result ever. Not great either.

Yeah, I guess the OS guide will be able to record another record sale here since it works out to $126,500 including the buyer's premium. Last time it sold for $105,000 which worked out to $120,750 including the BP.

I guess the only person to lose out here was JP himself after taking all of the commissions into account.