• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What decades of comic books has CGC been grading?

46 posts in this topic

interesting. so if you think of all books beginning in Copper thru "Modern" as "drekk", CGC would beg to differ since 70% of their business is now NEW books worth say $50-100 each... after slabbing.

Im wondering if the green 80s slice will start to widen now, indicating a trend to that decades books as the collecting era du jour, as Bronze did a decade ago. Though most of us feel that theres a big difference in value between the 70s and 80s books.

Or is that just because the early Copper Age hasn't taken of yet? Or will the speculation of the "XMen/Teen Titans / Direct Sale" era diminish their value potential no matter how old these books get?

I think the interesting correlation here is that there is

price resistance to what people are willing to pay to have books graded.

Everyone would love to have quality silver age and bronze age

to to submit but when that genre doesn't even bring Overstreet guide

prices for books that are graded 9.2 or better.

Then what's the point of paying extra for grading?

The cheaper alternative is sending in this modern drek that

is bringing far larger profit margins from a volume submission stand point.

CGC should lower pricing on the value, economy and standard tiers.

As a volume submitter I have tons of material that would fit these eras

but they bring just as much selling them raw and

there is far lower risk submitting moderns in volume.

interesting. so if you think of all books beginning in Copper thru "Modern" as "drekk", CGC would beg to differ since 70% of their business is now NEW books worth say $50-100 each... after slabbing.

Im wondering if the green 80s slice will start to widen now, indicating a trend to that decades books as the collecting era du jour, as Bronze did a decade ago. Though most of us feel that theres a big difference in value between the 70s and 80s books.

Or is that just because the early Copper Age hasn't taken of yet? Or will the speculation of the "XMen/Teen Titans / Direct Sale" era diminish their value potential no matter how old these books get?

I added the first graphic after your post, so you hadn't seen it yet. The "green 80s slice" is easier to see as a total of submissions in this graphic... and it does look like it is widening.

gradingall_201701.jpg

I think the second graphic hides the overall counts, but the first graphic indicates that there are still strong numbers being submitted for the older decades, they're just a smaller percentage of what is sitting at CGC at any given time these days.

I think the second graphic hides the overall counts, but the first graphic indicates that there are still strong numbers being submitted for the older decades, they're just a smaller percentage of what is sitting at CGC at any given time.

Yes, there are smaller numbers or percentages of the other eras.

That is why I used the theory of pricing resistance.

There are other factors but from a business standpoint.

ie. finding quality books in the gold, silver and bronze aren't as frequent.

Demographic of buyers these days seem to pay far more for modern

"flavor of the month" drek.

It's not worth submitting the other material because it doesn't

bring guide prices for 9.2 or better.

A good example is X-Men in the #110 to 142 range.

Those books often bring lower then guide price in 9.2 or 9.4.

So it only makes sense that there are more moderns submitted

from a dealer standpoint.

Cool charts, very interesting stuff.

It's interesting how passed-over the 2000's stuff is. I never thought about it until I saw your chart and that is in my own buying and selling I rarely even look at books in the 2001-2010 decade.

Very interesting.

Is there any way to break down the ratio of collectors vs dealers who submit?

I don't think so. This is a compilation of the CGC census data which is always public. The only "enhancement" that I have at CGCdata.com is that I don't delete old census data... so we can always "turn back the clock". If we want to know something that's not on the census, that's not something I have.

What happened in 2005? It took nearly a decade for number to get back to that level.

I don't know, but I would guess that 2005 was when several of the major dealers/collectors first got into CGC grading their inventories in significant volumes.

The explosion in grading new (2010) books seems to be exploding and driving the huge increase in the number of books getting graded last year. I wonder how many of those new books were variants? hm

: Make it so :baiting:

For any given comic, it's possible to check for "jumps" in the CGC census which are likely caused by a single (dealer?) submitter.

For example, Batman Adventures #12 had a jump of 26 copies in one week between the census January 7, 2014 to January 14, 2014... even though other nearby weeks only had about 5 to 10 submissions. A jump of 36 copies between September 2, 2014 and September 9, 2014... but only 3 copies the week before and 5 copies the week after. Etc.

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/comicid/33147

The explosion in grading new (2010) books seems to be exploding and driving the huge increase in the number of books getting graded last year. I wonder how many of those new books were variants? hm

I did that analysis as a chart a few months ago with "percentage of submissions" using the comic date.

variant_pct.png

For any given comic, it's possible to check for "jumps" in the CGC census which are likely caused by a single (dealer?) submitter.

For example, Batman Adventures #12 had a jump of 26 copies in one week between the census January 7, 2014 to January 14, 2014... even though other nearby weeks only had about 5 to 10 submissions. A jump of 36 copies between September 2, 2014 and September 9, 2014... but only 3 copies the week before and 5 copies the week after. Etc.

The junkdrawer bump preceded the movie bump.

:D

and now it's coming down faster than a lead balloon.

Still overpriced by $1,000 in 9.8

and now it's coming down faster than a lead balloon.

Still overpriced by $1,000 in 9.8

...as a chart... (the data is almost weekly, but if any weeks did not have a CGC Census update, the next data point is likely about double what it would have been.)

batadv12.jpg

If we think about the "market for CGC graded Batman Adventures #12" as a whole, the rapid rise of the number of graded copies would basically kill the price for the book if there was not any "new money" coming to the book.

Despite the falling price in CGC 9.8, the fact that there are so many now, vs. years ago, still indicates that the market as a whole has a lot more money in it. It's just spread across more copies of the issue.

Nice thread.... for some reason I thought that silver age was their bread and butter at one point. Now I see that has never been the case.