• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What decades of comic books has CGC been grading?

46 posts in this topic

Moderns on the other hand that are readily available, a $4 book in 9.8 trends around $40-50 on average.

This is what I totally don't understand. ???

Is there really much worthwhile money to be made here with slabbing Modern books. Especially when you have to factor in not only your grading costs, but also your other ancillary costs such as shipping, packing materials, listing fees, etc. and then the time involved. hm

And then, let's not forget about the money you had to spend on all of the books that didn't make the magical 9.8 grade. :tonofbricks:

What happened in 2005? It took nearly a decade for number to get back to that level.

Wasn't that around the time that pressing was first outed and became general knowledge here on the boards? The public disclosure of this dark little hidden secret might have resulted in a lot of resubs right afterwards. (shrug)

Is there really much worthwhile money to be made here with slabbing Modern books. Especially when you have to factor in not only your grading costs, but also your other ancillary costs such as shipping, packing materials, listing fees, etc. and then the time involved. hm

And then, let's not forget about the money you had to spend on all of the books that didn't make the magical 9.8 grade. :tonofbricks:

I expect doing 9.8 pre-screened grading in bulk is what makes it worthwhile and cost effective.

If I want a 9.8 copy, cheaper for me to buy a CGC 9.8 slab for $40-50 on ebay than have to deal with and spend money on finding a NM/MT raw, packaging, shipping, grading fees and return shipping.

BeachBum offers CGC 9.8 pre-screen subscription service for $35 per slab so at $40-50 a pop, I guess the ebay sellers are making money, too. Got a couple of series on sub with him. (thumbs u

I think the interesting correlation here is that there is

price resistance to what people are willing to pay to have books graded.

Everyone would love to have quality silver age and bronze age

to to submit but when that genre doesn't even bring Overstreet guide

prices for books that are graded 9.2 or better.

Then what's the point of paying extra for grading?

The cheaper alternative is sending in this modern drek that

is bringing far larger profit margins from a volume submission stand point.

CGC should lower pricing on the value, economy and standard tiers.

As a volume submitter I have tons of material that would fit these eras

but they bring just as much selling them raw and

there is far lower risk submitting moderns in volume.

Most submissions on the value and economy require more time to work on. Looking at 9.4-9.8 moderns are quick. Looking at 2.0-7.0 ec/vt/st take longer with more notes. Also, there is a much higher chance of restoration to be present, so more time is spent per book on vintage.

interesting. so if you think of all books beginning in Copper thru "Modern" as "drekk", CGC would beg to differ since 70% of their business is now NEW books worth say $50-100 each... after slabbing.

I reckon there are gems and dreks in all eras. Quite likely just survival bias that makes people focus on only the good stuff coming from earlier eras.

As for $4 moderns being worth ~$50 as CGC 9.8, for me, I consider it as paying for a service to get a comic in guaranteed condition.

I once bought multiple "NM" raw copies of a single issue at $4-5+shipping on ebay trying to find one in a condition I find acceptable. After shipping costs, I had already paid $50+ for all those copies so I decided going forward, if I wanted a comic in nice condition, I'd just pay extra for a CGC 9.6/9.8 slabbed copy.

Thing is, I'm not at all counting on being able to recoup anywhere near my purchase price if I ever sell my "modern drek". That's likely a concern for some.