• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Avengers #93 How would you grade this one.

82 posts in this topic

it for sale?

Na, sorry. It's one that I want to keep in my permanent collection. I love that cover and that story. One of my favorite battles, and the first appearance of my favorite IM armor...those pointy thingies were great. headbang.gif

Lucky you. I was saving for either a JIM #83, Avengers #1 or TOS #39...and the JIM #83 showed itself first. I'll have an Avengers #1 soon though. I'm just reluctant to buy one now because it is such a hot book. Might be better of waiting a year or two...or that could make things worse.

If you were to look at the CGC contest at STL you'd see that I probably have more half points or close to it, then anyone else there. poke2.gif

Dream on, junior! Out of the 20 rounds thus far in the contest, there have been exactly three rounds where I didn't score any points. In all three of those rounds, I was exactly two grade levels off (meaning one level closer and I'd have scored points in that round). I have yet to miss a round by more than two grade levels, and in 17 of 20 rounds, I've been dead on or one level away. Davenport and CGComics are blowing you away too. You've got 6.5 points, compared to Dav's 9.5 and CGComics' 10.5 and compared to my 12 points. You aren't even in the same universe and you're a total non-factor at this point in the contest because there are 12 people ahead of you in the standings! But feel free to tell more lies in order to make yourself feel better about your sad performance.

screwy.gif

And your attitude is getting a bit ridiculous. Your grading is not bad, but certainly not good enough for you to be lecturing people about what a great grader you are. You don't even own a grading guide.

If you were to look at the CGC contest at STL you'd see that I probably have more half points or close to it, then anyone else there. poke2.gif

Dream on, junior! Out of the 20 rounds thus far in the contest, there have been exactly three rounds where I didn't score any points. In all three of those rounds, I was exactly two grade levels off (meaning one level closer and I'd have scored points in that round). I have yet to miss a round by more than two grade levels, and in 17 of 20 rounds, I've been dead on or one level away. Davenport and CGComics are blowing you away too. You've got 6.5 points, compared to Dav's 9.5 and CGComics' 10.5 and compared to my 12 points. You aren't even in the same universe and you're a total non-factor at this point in the contest because there are 12 people ahead of you in the standings! But feel free to tell more lies in order to make yourself feel better about your sad performance.

screwy.gif

And your attitude is getting a bit ridiculous. Your grading is not bad, but certainly not good enough for you to be lecturing people about what a great grader you are. You don't even own a grading guide.

So King, I just looked at your numbers on STL's grading contest:

In 20 rounds, you've scored zero points in 10 of them. You've been off by as many as 7 grade levels in your guesses. You were off by at least three grade levels in six different rounds. In 20 rounds, you've gotten a total of three rounds exactly correct. I am wondering whether you would do better by actually trying to grade the books, or by throwing darts at numbers on a dartboard.

screwy.gif

Of course they have more points than me...they're winning. I never said they weren't winning. I never said I was in first place. Though just because I am not in first place does not mean it is a sad performance. I think I'm doing pretty well. I suggest you get the stump out of your .

I don't own a grading guide? So what is this Overstreet grading guide that I keep on the computer desk doing here? I guess I stole it or something right? juggle.gif

screwy.gif

Of course they have more points than me...they're winning. I never said they weren't winning. I never said I was in first place. Though just because I am not in first place does not mean it is a sad performance. I think I'm doing pretty well. I suggest you get the stump out of your .

You're not doing well enough to act like the know-it-all that you're acting like. With 12 people in the contest doing better than you are, you might want to pipe down about your mad grading skillz. Your comment about having the most rounds out of everyone in the contest "with .5 points or close to it" was flat out wrong. You're not even close. You had five rounds in a row where you not only scored zero points, but you were, on average, FOUR grading levels away from the correct score. That's gotta be some kind of a record for futility. screwy.gif

I don't own a grading guide? So what is this Overstreet grading guide that I keep on the computer desk doing here? I guess I stole it or something right? juggle.gif

You just said within the last couple of weeks that you didn't have one. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif If you have one now, may I suggest that you actually read it before you spout off about what a great grader you are?

You just said within the last couple of weeks that you didn't have one. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif If you have one now, may I suggest that you actually read it before you spout off about what a great grader you are?

I concurr,what he said hotshot....... 27_laughing.gif

You're not doing well enough to act like the know-it-all that you're acting like. With 12 people in the contest doing better than you are, you might want to pipe down about your mad grading skillz. Your comment about having the most rounds out of everyone in the contest "with .5 points or close to it" was flat out wrong. You're not even close. You had five rounds in a row where you not only scored zero points, but you were, on average, FOUR grading levels away from the correct score. That's gotta be some kind of a record for futility. screwy.gif

So, there are benchmarks to where you have to be in a grading contest? I am not pretending to be a know-it-all, nor have I ever. I can still say when I disagree with CGC or PGX. You don't have to have a certain score to disagree with their grade. I usually grade based on what I think the grade should be, not what I think CGC or PGX graded it. I think you just like to talk to hear yourself talk, or you just like to annoy people.

No, I didn't. That was a few months ago. I have had this guide for quite a while, and I've read it through. I'd say you have quite the ego. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I'd rather not be too harsh, since people seem to be hammering him here. However, I've noticed here and at the CPG boards, King has a vastly inflated opinion of his own grading skills. Of course, I've found that many people who have graded a lot of books seem to have never been educated by other "experts" thus their own opinions seem to inflate their own abilities.

In short, King, I don't think you're wildly off or anything. I do however, think that you are antagonistic towards others who challenge your opinions, because I think you are very often incorrect in your grading and have an enormous amount to learn about proper grading. On the other hand, I think it's your arrogant attitude, and not your stance that ticks so many people off.

So, there are benchmarks to where you have to be in a grading contest? I am not pretending to be a know-it-all, nor have I ever. I can still say when I disagree with CGC or PGX. You don't have to have a certain score to disagree with their grade. I usually grade based on what I think the grade should be, not what I think CGC or PGX graded it. I think you just like to talk to hear yourself talk, or you just like to annoy people.

No, but there are benchmarks if you want to use your performance as justification for your smack talk about your grading skills. Don't point people to your performance in a grading contest as support for your grading skills if you are getting your @ss handed to you in the contest. You should also refrain from making statements such as "I have more half points or close to it than anyone" when you know that isn't true.

No, I didn't. That was a few months ago. I have had this guide for quite a while, and I've read it through. I'd say you have quite the ego. 893naughty-thumb.gif

The irony here is thick enough to cut with a knife. AND you are wrong about the timing of what you said. Anyway, whatever. Read the OGG a few more times and then maybe you can tell everyone how you know better than CGC when it comes to grading.

While you're at it, go read my response to your post on CPG regarding that "great deal" you got on the JIM#83 that is obviously in a CGC inner well, yet the owner wants to pretend like it isn't CGC graded. (Not to mention the fact that it was priced with a BIN of less than 2.0 GD guide value -- repeat after me: "if it sounds too good to be true, it IS.") I think you're going to wind up losing out on that one. I responded to your wage post too.

I'd rather not be too harsh, since people seem to be hammering him here. However, I've noticed here and at the CPG boards, King has a vastly inflated opinion of his own grading skills. Of course, I've found that many people who have graded a lot of books seem to have never been educated by other "experts" thus their own opinions seem to inflate their own abilities.

In short, King, I don't think you're wildly off or anything. I do however, think that you are antagonistic towards others who challenge your opinions, because I think you are very often incorrect in your grading and have an enormous amount to learn about proper grading. On the other hand, I think it's your arrogant attitude, and not your stance that ticks so many people off.

If someone challengers my opinion I have the same right to defend it right? Just as they have the right to challenge it. What is so bad about me defending my own opinion. If that is so bad, then I guess I'm a bad person and will continue to be...because I will defend my opinion.

And if I am so "arrogant" as you say, then FFB must be the ultimate in arrogant.

Scott --

I'm sure your assessment of King's situation legally is correct. From a practical standpoint though, I can't see many people really being all that concerned, so the wheels of justice might grand a bit slowly.

Of course, I'm guessing King's probably like a teenager or in his early 20s, so maybe we all ought to lighten up on him... I agree with just about everything you posted in this thread -- but really -- why bother beating up on this guy?

Defending your opinion isn't bad, it's how you phrase it.

You strike me as young and immature, and unfortunately, I think you continuously support that by what you say.

I don't always agree about how Scott puts things either. Generally though, he walks the walk, so he has a little more room to talk the talk.

Scott --

I'm sure your assessment of King's situation legally is correct. From a practical standpoint though, I can't see many people really being all that concerned, so the wheels of justice might grand a bit slowly.

Of course, I'm guessing King's probably like a teenager or in his early 20s, so maybe we all ought to lighten up on him... I agree with just about everything you posted in this thread -- but really -- why bother beating up on this guy?

Are you talking about the wage & hour claim? I don't know what state he's in, but if his state's Labor Department is anything like California's Labor Department, there is a quick and easy administrative remedy available to him to get the wages he's owed. It is surprisingly easy and the best part is that if the employer pays the employee under the table and doesn't keep records, the burden of proof is on the employer to prove that the employee didn't work the hours he claims to have worked. From filing the administrative complaint to the date of the hearing is usually less than 90 days, and for every day that ANY wages aren't paid, the worker gets "waiting time penalties" of a full day's wages up to a maximum of 30 days if the employer's failure to pay is willful. In other words, even if KOR is only owed $100 in unpaid wages, for every day he isn't paid he gets a "penalty" award of a full day's wages up to a maximum of 30 days worth of wages. Most states have remedy provisions like that built into their labor code.

And I'm not beating up on him. I just got a bit irritated with his behavior and attitude and called him on it. Looks like I'm not the only one, either. confused-smiley-013.gif Didn't you just do the same thing? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif