• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sony Financial Woes Continue: Sell Columbia and TV Studio?

22 posts in this topic

Not sure what impact this will have on the Valiant Universe buildout. But you have to think Disney may play with this situation to complete the recovery of Spider-Man rights, including the pending work on the Animated Spider-Man movie.

RUMOR: Sony Is Considering Selling Off Columbia Pictures And TV Studio Unit

According to The New York Post, the situation is so bad, that bank agents have recently visited Tokyo to advise on selling some of Sony Entertainment's properties. CEO of CBS, Lesile Moonves and unknown Chinese investors have expressed interest in buying both Columbia and the TV division, but Kazuo Hirai, president and CEO of Sony tried to calm things down. "We see our entertainment businesses as essential parts of Sony", Hirai stated. That's when The Emoji Movie enters the game.

As reported by the source, Sony is waiting till the end of the summer to make a final decision. In this period of time, they have prepared plenty of new releases, but only two of them are crucial - the movie about emojis and Spider-Man: Homecoming. Shockingly, the second reboot of the Spider-Man movie franchise (set in the MCU) is less important - "They want to see how "The Emoji Movie" does because they think they have a franchise and it might help them to get a bigger price", the source said.

Sounds like Spider-Man: Homecoming isn't super high on the list, if this is true.

Not sure what impact this will have on the Valiant Universe buildout. But you have to think Disney may play with this situation to complete the recovery of Spider-Man rights, including the pending work on the Animated Spider-Man movie.

RUMOR: Sony Is Considering Selling Off Columbia Pictures And TV Studio Unit

According to The New York Post, the situation is so bad, that bank agents have recently visited Tokyo to advise on selling some of Sony Entertainment's properties. CEO of CBS, Lesile Moonves and unknown Chinese investors have expressed interest in buying both Columbia and the TV division, but Kazuo Hirai, president and CEO of Sony tried to calm things down. "We see our entertainment businesses as essential parts of Sony", Hirai stated. That's when The Emoji Movie enters the game.

As reported by the source, Sony is waiting till the end of the summer to make a final decision. In this period of time, they have prepared plenty of new releases, but only two of them are crucial - the movie about emojis and Spider-Man: Homecoming. Shockingly, the second reboot of the Spider-Man movie franchise (set in the MCU) is less important - "They want to see how "The Emoji Movie" does because they think they have a franchise and it might help them to get a bigger price", the source said.

Sounds like Spider-Man: Homecoming isn't super high on the list, if this is true.

Spider-man would not be the higher of the two on their list since they do not fully own the production of the movie. Isn't Homecoming a joint effort with "Marvel / Disney" having their name in the credits?

The Emoji movie is their intellectual property... (in my mind a waste of an effort at that.)

I hope it fails to tell the truth. Bring Sony closer to the brink of starvation and they will give anything (Spider-man) for a soup biscuit.

Tonight. I just watched a documentary on the Criterion of "It Happened One Night," on how Frank Capra built Columbia in the 30's (like Freddy built New Line.) Kinda ironic how they almost lost their studio 10 years later with the expensive Capra-helmed "Lost Horizon."

Thought I would throw that in for a little history of the studio. The studio was originally called CBC and folks joked it stood for "corned beef & cabbage" because of all pre-Capra junk.

I guess my point is... :baiting:

Beyond that it's a joint Marvel/Sony effort (which I don't think involves much of the bottom line going to Marvel - it is said to not involve money at all minus paying the creative directly credited like Feige probably, which is probably more of a guild requirement more than anything else) Spider-Man as a film is still licensed to Sony and the terms of that licensing deal is rumored to be much more favorable to Marvel than their Fox deal with X-Men.

Also, from a licensing perspective, which Marvel owns outright beyond the movies, Spider-man worldwide is by for the most profitable character in comics (no, not Batman). Sony gets ZERO of that. While the Marvel makes relatively nothing (it's a lot but in comparison to box office it's nothing) off of the previous Sony Spidey films, those badboys are giant commercials for everything else Spider-man that they own. This is why that even when the talk was about to shut down X-men comics to not create content for FOX, you will always see X-Men merchandise because Marvel makes bank off it and don't have to create new characters for FOX.

As an aside, I think the Inhumans push has been pretty lame by Marvel but it's COMPLETELY understandable why X-men has been stagnant and they keep recycling different versions and restoring old versions of existing characters in the X-books. Why give the next possible hit to FOX to put out a $2 comic?

With that in mind any huge hit that Sony has stakes in on merchandising would be far more valuable to them than even an incredibly successful licensed property, obviously Spidey has made billions at the box office. Sony would definitely love having a hit that they can put on shelves in all types of stores and business and have a piece of.

Regarding Emoji, I'm just not sure how it works because nobody really owns Emoji. I definitely see the possibilities especially when it comes to teaming up with giant Apps and proliferating a brand where it's already at - on everyone's phone, and people have to remember Emoji are GIANT in Asia - and they certainly would own the rights of anything they create on film, I'm just not sure how it works via the law in terms of can't ANYBODY make an Emoji movie and product? And sure that's the same of any public domain type of property, but I think for it to work it better hit first and fast for Sony. But in a perfect world I don't see why it couldn't be a giant odd thing like Minions or something of that nature. Reminds me a bit of Pac-Man too.

Spider-man would not be the higher of the two on their list since they do not fully own the production of the movie. Isn't Homecoming a joint effort with "Marvel / Disney" having their name in the credits?

The Emoji movie is their intellectual property... (in my mind a waste of an effort at that.)

I hope it fails to tell the truth. Bring Sony closer to the brink of starvation and they will give anything (Spider-man) for a soup biscuit.

With the deal between Sony and Marvel Studios, along with other planned Spidey movies:

1) Marvel was able to use Spidey in 'Civil War' without having to share profits with Sony.

2) Marvel would produce 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' funded by Sony.

3) Sony does not share any 'Homecoming' profits with Marvel Studios.

4) Marvel Studios may include MCU characters in 'Homecoming' to expand story.

5) Any Spider-Man merchandising revenue remains with Disney/Marvel ( 2011 ).

6) 'Spider-Man 2' already slated for 7/5/19; 'Venom' and 'Sinister Six' still not clear.

7) 'Miles Morals/Animated Spider-Man' still on track for 12/21/18 release.

8) Future Marvel Studios movie appearances must be worked out.

So both companies would want 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' to be a win not only for its own financial benefit, but all the trickledown benefits to the overall Spidey business roadmap. Especially since Sony claims all of the movie profits using the Marvel Studios formula, universe link and character appearances.

This is an interesting article from Variety when the original Disney/Marvel-Sony deal was announced that calls out some very interesting items why Spider-Man is so in continuous demand. And the number of creative people that wanted to take him on.

Why Sony Called in Marvel’s Big Gun to Reboot ‘Spider-Man’

What did Sony pay to own Spider-Man's movie rights (and probably merchandising at the time)?

Sony has owned the feature rights to Spider-Man since 1999, when Marvel sold the comic book story for $7 million.

How much in demand are Spider-Man movies to the market?

“To argue that there’s plenty of other superhero movies with levity in the marketplace, so why make more ‘Spider-Man’ movies, would be akin to saying there’s no room for James Bond films because of all the espionage films and franchises that have come out over the years,” [Jeff] Robinov wrote Pascal in an eight-page memo. “There will always be room for this beloved, iconic hero!”

Who wanted a chance to produce Spider-Man movies before the Marvel deal?

Former Warner Bros. exec Jeff Robinov, whose Studio 8 is based on the Sony lot and is backed by Chinese investors.

In November, he outlined a plan to reboot Spider-Man as an adult and to avoid retelling the now well-known origin story. His plan: to hand the franchise to a filmmaker like a Brad Bird, “Frozen’s” Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee, “Whiplash’s” Damien Chazelle, Joe Cornish (“Attack the Block”), “Guardians of the Galaxy’s James Gunn, “The Lego Movie’s” Phil Lord and Chris Miller, “Jurassic World’s” Colin Trevorrow, Edgar Wright or the “Harry Potter” franchise’s David Yates.

“Captain America: The Winter Soldier” helmers Anthony and Joe Russo also had emailed Pascal of their desire to retool the Spidey series, according to various sources.

What's the core of the deal?

Sony maintains “creative control, marketing and distribution,” while Marvel gets to produce new “Spider-Man” movies that pairs him up with its other superheroes controlled by Disney.

Ah... #3 was the one that I did not realize.

However... if Sony folds then Disney is in the bidding to completely recover the movie rights.

Whoever would have seen Sony sell back the merchandising rights? That's the Star Wars Kenner Toy bread and butter that Lucas demonstrated to the movie studios where some of the real money was.

Whoever would have seen Sears sell off the craftsman brand?

Stranger things have happened.

Marketwatch referenced a potential financial incentive for Disney/Marvel if the movie hits certain box office targets.

Disney’s ‘Captain America: Civil War’ could benefit future Sony films

If he appears in a Disney film, Sony touches none of the box office receipts and vice versa for Sony’s solo Spidey films. Of course, Sony’s films won’t always be solely Spider-Man: Disney is lending Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man for “Spider-Man: Homecoming.” It’s unclear whether that means Disney will see any revenue from the film, but Variety originally reported after the deal that Disney could benefit financially from Sony films if they reach certain box-office milestones.

But I am not sure if that has been confirmed or clarified yet. A very telling Domestic Box Office charter in that article how much Sony Spider-Man has dropped off.

qvy9nkJ.png

Were you able to find what RDJ was paid to be in Spider-man?

And I know what you said in regards to who is financing what... however, would RDJ be paid by Disney / Marvel or is Sony picking up the tab for that specific actor?

And I know what you said in regards to who is financing what... however, would RDJ be paid by Disney / Marvel or is Sony picking up the tab for that specific actor?

Not yet. But since Sony has to cover the budget for 'Homecoming', I would assume that means all costs and profit-sharing deals. So knowing RDJ's run rate over the past few years...

tumblr_mrqacnpFNp1s6feoko1_250.gif

I imagine it was counted towards the multi-picture deal RDJ initially agreed to when signing. This might count as a movie. Chris Evans pointed this out, with cameos a while back, me thinks.

Good way to get out of contract faster.

Good lord!

The Huge Salary Robert Downey Jr. Will Earn For Captain America 3

Of course, that's not how much Robert Downey Jr. will be banking for Captain America 3, as Variety's sources say he's signed on for a $40 million pay day up front, in exchange for an expansion of his role in the film. Originally, Tony Stark was going to be a bit player in the next Chris Evans led film, but Downey Jr. expressed that he wanted a meatier part in what promises to set Marvel Studios up for the next couple of phases. However there is a way that Iron Man could be bringing home something extra when this is all done and over, as he's reportedly negotiated a portion of the film's backend profits.

In addition to receiving a cut of Captain America 3's profits, there's a clause set in Robert Downey Jr.'s contract that will put him in line for another pay out if the film breaks the franchise's record. So if Captain America 3 exceeds the $714 million total gross that Captain America: The Winter Soldier brought in, Downey Jr. will receive an extra pay out, presumably for making that happen. It's not a bad assumption, as Iron Man is still the highest grossing stand-alone hero in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and the Marvel/Robert Downey Jr. brand is at peak output as we speak.

So he had a double triple payday from his role in Civil War since this was based on the Captain America franchise - not all Marvel Studios films.

Go from there what that means for Homecoming's success.

Marketwatch referenced a potential financial incentive for Disney/Marvel if the movie hits certain box office targets.

Disney’s ‘Captain America: Civil War’ could benefit future Sony films

If he appears in a Disney film, Sony touches none of the box office receipts and vice versa for Sony’s solo Spidey films. Of course, Sony’s films won’t always be solely Spider-Man: Disney is lending Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man for “Spider-Man: Homecoming.” It’s unclear whether that means Disney will see any revenue from the film, but Variety originally reported after the deal that Disney could benefit financially from Sony films if they reach certain box-office milestones.

But I am not sure if that has been confirmed or clarified yet. A very telling Domestic Box Office charter in that article how much Sony Spider-Man has dropped off.

qvy9nkJ.png

I know we are all excited about the upcoming Spider-Man Homecoming,but what if the newest Spider-Man is a critics hit,but doesn`t do $202.9 million domestic? Then what happens?

For some reason a lot of domestic box office has been off for a lot of movies and not just Spider-Man,so I will be keeping a close eye on this one.

I already can pretty much figure out it will have a hard-time beating Spider-Man 3 at $336.5 million. Not because the movie will suck,just that the climate has changed for big box office movies.

So lets keep an eye out for this ones domestic`s box office and see where it falls between the 5 Spider-Man movies.

Not yet. But since Sony has to cover the budget for 'Homecoming', I would assume that means all costs and profit-sharing deals. So knowing RDJ's run rate over the past few years...

tumblr_mrqacnpFNp1s6feoko1_250.gif

Now, I wonder if the price tag was hammered out before the Spider-man scenes were written and filmed in Civil War. Sony would have definitely wanted an established character to follow Spider-man back to the Sony lot. I am figuring that it would only make sense to get Downey Jr or Evans with Downey being the primary target to land.

They landed Downey Jr (and apparently Jon Favreau) so in Homecoming we see how it plays out. This seems to be the more desirable option all around for everyone involved.

Had they landed Evans, I could see Captain America as the kid from Brooklyn stepping in to guide the kid from Queens down the 'right path'.

All of this apparently depended on whatever RDJ said he wanted for the role. Considering Sony's financial status, I am surprised they said 'okay'. Basically, they are gambling by allowing Disney to call the shots that has the ability to make or break what amounts to a rival studio's fortune.

Basically, it seems

I know we are all excited about the upcoming Spider-Man Homecoming,but what if the newest Spider-Man is a critics hit,but doesn`t do $202.9 million domestic? Then what happens?

For some reason a lot of domestic box office has been off for a lot of movies and not just Spider-Man,so I will be keeping a close eye on this one.

I already can pretty much figure out it will have a hard-time beating Spider-Man 3 at $336.5 million. Not because the movie will suck,just that the climate has changed for big box office movies.

So lets keep am eye out for this ones domestic`s box office and see where it falls between the 5 Spider-Man movies.

What if crickets had shotguns - would birds still try to eat them?

:baiting:

Let's stick to reality. A Marvel-produced Spider-Man - with Marvel Studios characters appearing and a link to that universe - is most probably going to be a massive relaunch. Even with ASM 2, the Asian market was so massive with a desire to see this film it helped jump this above $700MM worldwide as a loser. Bring a winning formula like what Sony and Disney/Marvel worked out, both Domestic and International are going to explode.

$200 million domestic? No worries - that's a LOCK IMHO.

200 million is a definitely a lock and is a no-brainer,but can it beat $340 million domestic? That is hard to do nowadays. Deadpool did 363 million domestic. I don`t see this beating that. That doesn`t mean it is a bad movie just that the market changed.

I am also pretty sure it won`t beat GotG 2 box office for highest domestic superhero movie of 2017.

$200 million domestic? No worries - that's a LOCK IMHO.

I have to agree, realizing how much Spider-Man is appreciated.

Now, can it break $300-400MM Domestic? TBD.

I am pretty sure it will do over $300MM.

What concerns me is a week earlier Despicable Me 3 comes out. That is why I am concerned.

Don`t get me wrong I am rooting for Spider-Man Homecoming. I just think it will be a lot tougher to get the home run then they think they will get.

I am pretty sure it will do over $300MM.

What concerns me is a week earlier Despicable Me 3 comes out. That is why I am concerned.

Don`t get me wrong I am rooting for Spider-Man Homecoming. I just think it will be a lot tougher to get the home run then they think they will get.

Totally understand where you are coming from: has the market gotten so saturated with the traditional characters, any new productions could come across as 'overstaying their welcome'? And this movie could prove that theory out.

Especially since lately what they have flocked to more are newcomers like Deadpool, Guardians, Suicide Squad, Doctor Strange. No matter the reviews.