• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Verification Authority

23 posts in this topic

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but its been bugging me ever since I saw a couple CVA tagged books in a recent ComicLink auction -- why would anyone pay for this "service" in lieu of using their own built in "comic verification authority" (most of us refer to them as eyes)?

I know their explanation -- http://cvacomics.com/index.php/2012-04-16-16-47-38.html -- but it still seems like $ better sent to the local televangelist.

I'm going to start a company that grades each CVA sticker placed on CGC slabs. The placement and eye appeal of said labels is important to the discriminating comic collector.

:cool:

There truly is a business for everything.

Basically it looks like a third party that would say the book presents better than graded.

If you received a grade you are not happy with, it may be worth it for this company to say it looks better than graded.

You're better off getting the grader's notes and comparing them against the book. The few times I've had to go down that road I've immediately wound up concluding "well crackle my bacon, they did get it right."

I'm going to start a company that grades each CVA sticker placed on CGC slabs. The placement and eye appeal of said labels is important to the discriminating comic collector.

:cool:

There truly is a business for everything.

:roflmao:

That was my thought exactly. They seem to put that sticker on any book they are paid for. Who is paying them for that "service" if you can call it that...

Didn't they go out of business?

Unless they were sued, how in the world do you go OB putting stickers on graded comics?

Well, that should be a rather simple concept to understand.....if nobody uses your service, would you not go out of business then? :gossip:

What's their overhead? They put stickers on slabs. Send me your books and O'Neill assess them myself.

Their overhead is a roll of stickers. They could do this from their dining room.

When will the madness end?

Never. I personally have been inspired to start the CLSA - Comic Label Spellcheck Authority. My tamper evident yellow smiley face sticker will 100% guarantee that your graded comic's label is free of any spelling errors.

Punctuation check will cost extra though.

This is not unheard of. CGC should have done this to begin with. PSA has always factored in the the subjective "eye candy" rule if the card presents itself much better than the physical grade implies. They've done very well with it and is fully accepted by the sports card collecting community.

Of course, the horses are already out of the barn now and it's too late.

This is similar in business model to CAC in the coin collecting community. CAC has, with excellent execution of the business model, transformed into the SCOTUS of the coin community. The platform started as a safeguard against the coin doctors and gradeflation.

The experts associated with the entity were very experienced and respected, and well funded. CAC reached out to the collecting community early on in the formation and communicated with dealers,auction houses, collectors, etc.

There were a few bumps and difficult paths that had to be smoothed out, which was accomplished.

The entity does have legitimacy in the economic aspect, because they bought back the product they had offered a visible opinion on, effectively making a market.

While there is not a published population report on the coins that have received a CAC sticker, or a report of pieces that were submitted but did not receive a sticker, the community has come to rely on the entity economically.

The CVA model has some of the same beginning aspects, and who knows, it may evolve into the same level of acceptance as CAC.

I do not look at either entity as a TPG,. I view it as a 4PG model.

CAC does not encapsulate or offer an initial submitting opinion. It does not appear that CVA does either.

I do not know anything about comics, and can not speak to the level of comics doctoring or gradeflation levels, or even if such a service is needed in the comics collecting community. That is for others with the requisite experience to offer an opinion.

I can't see why I would pay CVA for this? After I pay CGC to have my book graded, enclosed and in record file. Why go further? That should be enough. I see it as more money poured into this comic book and less profit if I sell it.

Just what I am thinking.

This is not unheard of. CGC should have done this to begin with. PSA has always factored in the the subjective "eye candy" rule if the card presents itself much better than the physical grade implies. They've done very well with it and is fully accepted by the sports card collecting community.

Of course, the horses are already out of the barn now and it's too late.

Doesn't CGC do the star or ! for books with eye appeal?

it's just another qualifier or way to make money off comics books. It's not enough to have a 4.0, but after that there are 2/3/whatever sub-levels eye appeal??

Let people buy the books that they believe that good eye appeal. - beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

some books have date stamps or arrival dates (pen) that some people hate, while others love.

Some don't like marvel chipping, some don't mind it

meh

When will the madness end?

Never. I personally have been inspired to start the CLSA - Comic Label Spellcheck Authority. My tamper evident yellow smiley face sticker will 100% guarantee that your graded comic's label is free of any spelling errors.

Punctuation check will cost extra though.

Ahhhh, I was hoping for a grammatical error in your post. You know, something to drive home the value and importance of the CLSA. Something like: "when collecting comics, it's important to look a head."