• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can pressing a book change its page quality?

13 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Saw these two books on Comicconnet:

1. More fun comics #55 9.4 WP Nova Scotia

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=702617

Same book, but 9.2 OW-W in 2005

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/more-fun-comics-55-nova-scotia-pedigree-dc-1940-cgc-nm-92-off-white-to-white-pages-this-issue-has-key-status-owing/a/816-1128.s

2. More fun comics #59 9.6 WP Mile High

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=695828

Same book in 2010 - 9.4 OW-W

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/more-fun-comics-59-mile-high-pedigree-dc-1940-cgc-nm-94-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7017-92027.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

I can understand the 0.2 jump from a good press, but upgrade in page quality?

Or have their grading standard become more lenient over the years?

Edited by pfeil

Pressing will not make pages whiter. Bad pressing can darken them, though. As Moondog says, pq is very subjective and I can also see more leniency in what comprises W vs OW/W

And please throw out that OWL (Overstreet Whiteness Level) card that came with the Grading Guide. That card is truly useless in gauging PQ.

Like a broken record, here I go....

I had a book pressed and resubbed. Book went up 1.0 and PQ went from LT-OW to straight OW. Not sure if the pressing was responsible or not.

As Bob just said, you can get PQ bumps/downgrades on the same book over multiple submissions.

Chris, I still think your LT-OW label may have been an encapsulation mistake.

There's one now in the ongoing ComicLink auction, a bronze age Marvel graded 9.6 with tan to pink page quality. :insane:

It's a possibility. It was way, way back in the day (part of my first sub ever). The pages were pretty toasty looking IIRC. Obviously, when the CPR was performed, I couldn't see what the "new"pages looked like.

Pressing will not make pages whiter. Bad pressing can darken them, though. As Moondog says, pq is very subjective and I can also see more leniency in what comprises W vs OW/W

And please throw out that OWL (Overstreet Whiteness Level) card that came with the Grading Guide. That card is truly useless in gauging PQ.

Curious as to why this doesn't work as a metric for PQ. I've never actually tried to use it for evaluating color, but I would've thought it was a pretty useful tool.

I have also heard the when the book was graded argument. Supposedly, when CGC first started grading they tended to grade lower on PQ consistently. So books in the original slabs will almost always get a better PQ if regraded.

Edited by drotto

Curious as to why this doesn't work as a metric for PQ. I've never actually tried to use it for evaluating color, but I would've thought it was a pretty useful tool.

I wouldn't call it a metric as much as a visual reference/aid - agreed though that aside from taking CGC's word, it's basically a thumb's eye view without OWL.

I like using it next to pages on ebay as a fixed reference point that gives potential buyers a better sense of actual paper quality/color. Paper can look very different in pics depending upon what might be different lighting (natural, flash, fluorescent, yellower or whiter lights, etc.).

Basically the colors are way off. MUCH darker than they should be. Their Off White is actually much closer to tan. Their White is closer to Cream. I was stunned when I saw my first one.