• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should there be a separate Cal forum?

Cal Forum  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Cal Forum

43 posts in this topic

I've never read the story, is it good?

When I first picked up a copy and read it, I had just started collecting and assumed it was a self-contained story featuring both characters, but it's a book split into two parts (like TOS and TTA before it) that continues the Iron Man story from TOS #99 and the Sub-Mariner story from TTA #101 (and then which continue into Iron Man #1 and Sub-Mariner #1 respectively). If you haven't read either of those, you'll probably be like I was when I first read it -- wondering what's going on. lol

It's solid early Marvel, but it's an oddity -- a book published almost as a placeholder before each character got their own #1 issues (after Cap and the Hulk took over the numbering of the original titles with their own "#1's"). I've always owned one, though, and as essentially a one-shot title, it's a great book to own. I've always loved the cover too. :cloud9:

I've never read the story, is it good?

When I first picked up a copy and read it, I had just started collecting and assumed it was a self-contained story featuring both characters, but it's a book split into two parts (like TOS and TTA before it) that continues the Iron Man story from TOS #99 and the Sub-Mariner story from TTA #101 (and then which continue into Iron Man #1 and Sub-Mariner #1 respectively). If you haven't read either of those, you'll probably be like I was when I first read it -- wondering what's going on. lol

It's solid early Marvel, but it's an oddity -- a book published almost as a placeholder before each character got their own #1 issues (after Cap and the Hulk took over the numbering of the original titles with their own "#1's"). I've always owned one, though, and as essentially a one-shot title, it's a great book to own. I've always loved the cover too. :cloud9:

Great post!

My story:

Only getting one Dollar per month allowance, no matter how many chores I did, I had too put IMSM back on the shelf, because that One Dollar only allowed 7 comics, with a penny left to put in the bubble gum machine. I vowed that day, I believe it was January 1, 1968 I was 10.5 years old, that I would own every single copy someday.

True story. You can't make this stuff up. Especially the buying that made me a TON of enemies, right here on this very Board. If there was an IMSM on eBay/Yahoo!Auctions, you can bet your soul to Satan I bid on it. I wished I had saved those emails where other folks were willing to make me a "deal" or two to let me bid on IMSM.

Then I have ONE STORAGE Unit of just IMSM, raws. 33 boxes at the peak.

178 slabbed CGC ones. Several PGX, nd a few "odd-ball companies that went by the wayside. I still have the RP3 VF+ 88( 100 point scale). I sold the other Ace 5.5 for $750.00 like a fool. Ace( Maxie's company) didn't last long, either. I kept the Surfer # 4, it's here somewhere in this mess.

CAL who only collected VG 4.0 and up of IMSM.

You can't make this stuff up.
Yes, Cal, however, we know you can make anything up. :thumbsup: