• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15.....................

48 posts in this topic

Hey, don't let the grades they throw out upset you. I went through the same coal raking when I posted my x-men 1 last year. I felt my book was a nice, solid 4.0 but was mortified when everyone just shrugged thier shoulders at it and gave it a range from 2.0 to 3.5 MAX, with one person who had the gall to claim it was most likely restored! I got the last laugh when it came back a 4.5.

Unfortunately your book seem that it may get no higher than 2.5 (3.0 on a sunny day in Sarasota and every one is feelin' groovy!)

I feel that a 2.5 is the perfect grade for my book. I don't think it should have gone any higher than that, or any lower. I think that was a good grade on CGC's part.

The X-men #1 is in better shape in my opinion by a long shot. The water damage is what killed it the most, and it is not even that severe when refering to a low grade book. The spine is in far better shape, there is only one dog ear compared to the many on the AF #15, and as you mentioned the damage around the staples is worse on the AF #15.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Earlier you said:

Both of these books to my knowledge got these grades just out of general wear. A 2.5 was mentioned as a candidate grade, but I'd say a 2.5 is way out of it's league. 2.5's are usually just worn books, with no major defects (coupon clip for example) For instance here is my X-men #1 CGC 2.5:

The AF 15 pretty much looks like a "worn book with no major defects (coupon clip for example)", whereas the X-men 1 looks to have a large area of water damage (which is not "general wear"). A bunch of creases and small tears are perfectly acceptable in the Good range...when you start getting pieces missing, stains, large tears, tape damage, etc.,. is where you fall below good.

Stains in this grade are general wear. If the book was going to be a VG or lower in the first place then I'd consider it "general wear". It is when a book appears to be maybe a FN or higher that a stain would be unexpected and not considered general wear. For example if a book would have otherwise got a 9.8, then a stain would certainly not be considered general wear. If a book were to max out at a VG or so, then stains are not uncommon to find in that grade. That is what I mean by general wear. My X-men #1 would certainly not have been able to get past a VG even without the staining, so I'd consider it general wear for this grade brakett.

The X-men #1 is in better shape in my opinion by a long shot. The water damage is what killed it the most, and it is not even that severe when refering to a low grade book. The spine is in far better shape, there is only one dog ear compared to the many on the AF #15, and as you mentioned the damage around the staples is worse on the AF #15.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Earlier you said:

Both of these books to my knowledge got these grades just out of general wear. A 2.5 was mentioned as a candidate grade, but I'd say a 2.5 is way out of it's league. 2.5's are usually just worn books, with no major defects (coupon clip for example) For instance here is my X-men #1 CGC 2.5:

The AF 15 pretty much looks like a "worn book with no major defects (coupon clip for example)", whereas the X-men 1 looks to have a large area of water damage (which is not "general wear"). A bunch of creases and small tears are perfectly acceptable in the Good range...when you start getting pieces missing, stains, large tears, tape damage, etc.,. is where you fall below good.

He's consistently inconsistent 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

thumbsup2.gif

What an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. 27_laughing.gifthumbsup2.gifmakepoint.gif

atta-boy! thumbsup2.gifwink.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Earlier you said:

Stains in this grade are general wear. If the book was going to be a VG or lower in the first place then I'd consider it "general wear". It is when a book appears to be maybe a FN or higher that a stain would be unexpected and not considered general wear. For example if a book would have otherwise got a 9.8, then a stain would certainly not be considered general wear. If a book were to max out at a VG or so, then stains are not uncommon to find in that grade. That is what I mean by general wear. My X-men #1 would certainly not have been able to get past a VG even without the staining, so I'd consider it general wear for this grade brakett.

screwy.gifscrewy.gifscrewy.gif You should've quit while you were behind makepoint.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Earlier you said:

He's consistently inconsistent 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

thumbsup2.gif

What an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. 27_laughing.gifthumbsup2.gifmakepoint.gif

Now there's something we can all agree on! 27_laughing.gif

Diva, I agree with him about the stains part. I would still point it out to a prospective buyer, but if we are talking GVG or lower, a book is going to have a lot of defects and stains could be one of them.

Diva, I agree with him about the stains part. I would still point it out to a prospective buyer, but if we are talking GVG or lower, a book is going to have a lot of defects and stains could be one of them.

To me, stains aren't ordinary wear and should be mentioned no matter what the grade. If I'm in the market for a 2.0-3.5 expensive book, it's getting returned if there's stains but no mention of them in the description of the book. Same thing if the cover's detached at one staple or even the centerfold. Just because it's acceptable in grade does not mean the obligation to disclose the specific defect/severity has been mitigated.

To me, stains aren't ordinary wear and should be mentioned no matter what the grade. If I'm in the market for a 2.0-3.5 expensive book, it's getting returned if there's stains but no mention of them in the description of the book. Same thing if the cover's detached at one staple or even the centerfold. Just because it's acceptable in grade does not mean the obligation to disclose the specific defect/severity has been mitigated.

Oh, of course, I agree on that. Any defect that cannot be seen or easily seen with a scan should be disclosed. Not only is it the morally right thing to do but it makes for good business, and customer satisfaction.