• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quick Question on a PCH book

8 posts in this topic

Is there anything special about This Magazine is Haunted #3? I saw a listing from Gary Dolgoff on Ebay for a CGC 2.5 with a starting bid of $1,100. It is here -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/This-Magazine-is-Haunted-3-CGC-2-5-OW-W-p-Vampire-cover-story-1952-c-08168-/361891459386?hash=item544269713a:g:pGkAAOSwSv1Xkml5

Looking at GPA shows only one sale in Nov. 2016 of a 2.0 for $527. Seven total blue labels on the census which is the same count as #4 as a comparison. The #3 has a 9.0 as the top graded.

I googled but couldn't find anything that stood out. Does it just not come up for sale or is there something special as nothing is listed on the label denoting anything.

Thanks

That just seems like such a jump from the issues around it with comparable census numbers and the recorded is higher. Also Gary's listings don't tend to be overly exorbitant so it made me curious.

Still quite a premium to me but supply and demand will rule out.

Thanks

This issue frequently/generally appears with a partially/fully split cover (or a split cover that has been repaired/sealed). :foryou:

The tendency of the cover to split would also lead one to believe that many more copies lost their cover as compared to other books from the era. As I recall other Feb. '52 Fawcett books had the same spine problem, notably Fawcett Movies Comics #15 ( The Man from Planet X)

This Magazine is Haunted #3 has a status of sorts among PCH collectors, I think primarily due to it's rarity, as it almost never shows up on eBay, or anywhere else.

It's the only issue of that run that I don't have, and I would personally grab an affordable copy in any condition, SS or not.

I remember an eBay auction a few years ago, where I bid on a coverless copy for I think about 50 bucks, and was handily outbid several times over.

Thanks again, folks. Not a PCH expert so I had no clue. Just from the periphery and looking at census numbers being comparable and nothing special such as label notes or anything else noteworthy, I was at a loss as to why it demanded such a premium.

I am always humbled by the expertise and willingness to share that knowledge here - just another reason that makes the GA forum the best place to hang out.