• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problems uploading jpg to ebay?

8 posts in this topic

I can no longer get jpgs to upload to ebay from my office computer. Yes, I know, that's not what it's for, but during my lunch break... Anyway, I'm wondering if that is some sort of software block? No pop up appears saying "prohibited activity" or anything like that. Could it be my browser is old?

No problems from home. Doesn't matter if it is thumb drive or off my hard drive, it freezes up when i try to upload, whether doing it by regular or "classic"

And, strangely, no problem uploading to flickr from my office computer.

Anyone else have this issue?

Edited by the blob

I have a feeling that this is on eBay's end. I've had issues in the past with this functionality. One day it works, the next day it doesn't. Usually waiting a day or so clears up any issues.

Also, sometimes it's a function of how large the file is. Not surprisingly, the larger files tend to fail much more often than tiny ones. You can try scaling your image down, then uploading the higher resolution one at a later time.

I have a feeling that this is on eBay's end. I've had issues in the past with this functionality. One day it works, the next day it doesn't. Usually waiting a day or so clears up any issues.

Also, sometimes it's a function of how large the file is. Not surprisingly, the larger files tend to fail much more often than tiny ones. You can try scaling your image down, then uploading the higher resolution one at a later time.

+1 I also find more issues with Chrome than Firefox, even though it's usually on eBay's end. Files have a max size, but it should display a dialogue if that's the problem.

Others have already pointed out a few of these, but:

(1) Try different browsers. If it doesn't work in Firefox, try Chrome. Or Safari, or whatever alternatives you have available.

(2) Check the file size of your JPG. Try to keep the file size under 200k if possible. Also try to keep the pixel resolution under 1200 pixels (both width and height).

(2b) You say you're using JPGs so that's good (better than GIF or PNG). Double-check the settings of your JPG though -- make sure it's not interlaced, un-flattened or anything other than the standard file type. If you're sizing or adjusting the JPG in Photoshop, see also if you can save it "for web," and set the DPI/resolution level to 72 instead of 300 or something. (Recent versions of Photoshop buried the "for web" option but it's still there if you poke around, and use "help" if you can't find it.)

(3) Can you upload images OK to other sites (besides Flickr)? Such as the CGC forums? If not, there could be something blocking your work computer -- maybe its anti-virus or firewall software.

You never know with eBay... They use so many CDN's for static content etc you may have an old version of a -script cached if updates are being propagated. The best thing to do in this case is wait it out and try every 30 minutes or so. In the meantime try a different browser if possible.

Edited by comicquant