• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Owner SA Collection

5 posts in this topic

In response to many queries regarding this collection, I thought I'd post some info about it here.

I was contacted by a retired couple who want to move to a warmer climate and the first step is selling their comic collection. They're kind and caring people who need the money to get their home fixed up in order to sell it. I told them that there are many collectors who would want their books and that at the end of the day they should do very well. They aren't really sure where their collection fits in today's marketplace. I tried to assuage their concerns, but they won't be convinced until they see results. I can't blame them for being skeptics though. This hobby can be very intimidating to outsiders...

The bulk of the collection is 1950s DC war, sf, and sh. There are runs of Marvel westerns and pre-heros. The Marvel sh stop in late 1963. There are 23 Marvel and DC keys in the CC auction.

The owner bought them all off the rack from a Chicago newsstand starting in 1953-54 and stopped in early 1964. There are some late '40s books but those were acquired from friends and family.

The books were stored in a basement and some unfortunately were damaged in a flood. Most of the books came through unscathed though and I only threw out one long box of pulp. The bulk are mid-grade (4.0 thru 7.0) but there are many, many nice books.

If you're a Chicago-area collector PM me and we'll make arrangements to get together. There are 11 magazine boxes of comics. Please pass this post on to anyone who may be interested.

Box%20Stock%204_zpsqtkf5gxq.jpg

Box%20Stock%202_zpsm4xxdhsn.jpg

Box%20Stock%201_zpskxhgmsdf.jpg

Pretty amazing!

I love it when collections like this show up; even if it's not some high grade collection with super desirable keys, it is fascinating to see nonetheless.

Some nice books there!

+1 makes you wonder how many collections like this are still out there.