• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #11 - CGC - Ohio Pedigree

18 posts in this topic

...sold for $1800 as a CGC 8.0 last month...White pages..."turned around" again in 2 weeks (listed in auction), now entered as a CGC 9.0 with Off-White / White pages...clearly the same pedigree book with the grease pencil mark...

1 hour ago, CGC ASM said:

I seem to recall this book was also a CGC 7.5 the first time it got slabbed long ago...

The lower right corner looks much nicer in the 9.0 holder. 

In their restoration policy CGC clearly states they do not consider pressing and dry cleaning restoration, and do not distinguish between pressing a raw book or one in an existing holder.

Not everyone agrees with the logic, but it's clearly out there. Not the first book where this has been done. It won't be the last. I'd have a tough time arguing it doesn't look every bit a 9.0 though.

8 hours ago, CGC ASM said:

I seem to recall this book was also a CGC 7.5 the first time it got slabbed long ago...

So this book has likely now been pressed for a third time!  Is there a limit to how many times before the book is so flattened, it starts to damage the structure of the comic?  And does the "1/6" written on the cover have the potential of getting smeared with every additional press? hm

Edited by mosconi

1 hour ago, Comicdey said:

Unless I'm missing something 8.0 had a tiny tape pull 

IMG_2118.PNG

IMG_2120.PNG

That appears to have been on the plastic case.  I had requested larger scans of the front cover when it was initially offered by CL, and that defect was not present when they emailed me the photos of the 8.0.  But there did appear to be a bottom right corner crease.

One of the MANY reasons i prefer low-midgrade books. Too much shenanigans/manipulation that could be worth thousands of dollars. Not saying it's not a beautiful copy it absolutely is and i'm certainly not krapping on what other people collect but come on the press and resub thing is exhausting with Pq seemingly changing every time as well. I understand restoring and unrestoring books even giving a book a press but this is nuts to a certain point isn't it? I'm perfectly happy with my beat up copy it's got character ?

Amazing Spider-Man #12

1 hour ago, gino2paulus2 said:

One of the MANY reasons i prefer low-midgrade books. Too much shenanigans/manipulation that could be worth thousands of dollars. Not saying it's not a beautiful copy it absolutely is and i'm certainly not krapping on what other people collect but come on the press and resub thing is exhausting with Pq seemingly changing every time as well. I understand restoring and unrestoring books even giving a book a press but this is nuts to a certain point isn't it? I'm perfectly happy with my beat up copy it's got character ?

Amazing Spider-Man #12

You should CPR that book!  Looks like a 5.5/6.0! :baiting: