• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aspen Comics, Where do they rank?

9 posts in this topic

So, Aspen comics has been around for quite a while. They like to put out a new Fathom #1 every year for some reason, but other than that i'm wondering about everyone's thoughts on their properties.

I don't follow any of their books currently, but back in the 90's when i was a kid I bought all the cool foil covers and stuff. Considering they are still around, I'm wondering if anyone sees their characters becoming relevant at any point. I like Witchblade, Darkness, and Fathom, but they are so under the radar. Though, I have to think they are selling because the company stays afloat. 

Thoughts?

Edited by Gunnz

Aspen didn't come into being until the mid-00's. Turner & Steigerwald were still with Top Cow back then. They broke off to do their own thing in the mid-00's. 

But for a company that's been around for about 12 years or so now, they're doing pretty good. Nothing groundbreaking but between variant contracts with other publishers & a handful of ok-selling books (I really wish I could have seen how Turner planned to finish Soulfire) for a 3rd tier publisher, they're doing pretty well. 

Here's my ranking, and I base it on the popularity of the characters, the "house of ideas" in terms of innovation, artists, writers, properties viability for licensing, production schedules, and overall marketing efforts:

Marvel

DC (Incl. Vertigo and Wildstorm)

Image (Not incl. off shoots like Top Cow, Aspen, etc where it was a distribution deal)

IDW Publishing

Dark Horse

Valiant

Dynamite

Boom

Black Mask

Zenescope

Archie Comics

Bongo Comics

Aspen - Yes, Riverdale is a better universe than what Michael Turner created, as is the Simpsons and Futurama.

Top Cow - Witchblade, The Darkness, Magdalena might have an edge over Fathom, Soulfire, Cannon and the other barely memorable characters

Coffin Comics - Lady Death

Devil's Due - Mercy Sparxx

2 minutes ago, aka Rick1 said:

Here's my ranking, and I base it on the popularity of the characters, the "house of ideas" in terms of innovation, artists, writers, properties viability for licensing, production schedules, and overall marketing efforts:

Marvel

Image (Not incl. off shoots like Top Cow, Aspen, etc where it was a distribution deal)

IDW Publishing

Dark Horse

Valiant

Dynamite

Boom

Black Mask

Zenescope

Archie Comics

Bongo Comics

Aspen - Yes, Riverdale is a better universe than what Michael Turner created, as is the Simpsons and Futurama.

Top Cow - Witchblade, The Darkness, Magdalena might have an edge over Fathom, Soulfire, Cannon and the other barely memorable characters

Nice list, very close to what I'd write. I'd swap Dark Horse and IDW and drop Zenescope and Black Mask down below everything except Coffin Comics and Devil's Due. I'd add Fantagraphics somewhere around Dark Horse.

Ya, I don't really count Zenescope. Despite their sales, I don't know anyone who actually reads their books, they just collect the covers. I was just curious because (IMHO) Aspen has some great characters and I think they could do well in a cinematic or tv universe. I agree with Turner being gone too soon. Great art and stories. Wish I got to meet him. 

On 2/26/2017 at 11:10 PM, aka Rick1 said:

Marvel

IDW Publishing

Dark Horse

Valiant

Dynamite

Boom

Black Mask

Zenescope

Archie Comics

Bongo Comics

I can agree with that. 

On 3/4/2017 at 4:56 AM, Gunnz said:

Ya, I don't really count Zenescope. Despite their sales, I don't know anyone who actually reads their books, they just collect the covers. 

That's because comic collecting is primarily a man's hobby. The collectors you know are 90%+ male and guys collect sexy covers. 

Most of the Zenescope stories have a female protagonist, often a female villain, and -- despite the covers -- a female readership. Back in the days of the Comic Buyer's Guide, the story reviews were largely positive, which is when my wife started reading them. She enjoys the comics, especially those by Raven Gregory.