• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dr. Strange 29 - Purple Cover?

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I'm going through a long-box of a collection I bought, in it contained several copies of DR. 29, one of the copies has a distinctly different coloring than the others.  What could cause this, a print defect or light exposure?  I'm pretty sure it's been buried in a box for years, so I don't see that as a reason but I have no clue. 

And does anyone else have one out there?

Thanks -

IMG_1008(1).JPG

It's from variation in the coloration process during printing.  The cover on top was printed using more red ink than the one on the bottom.  There are lots of late SA and BA Marvel issues with cover colors that vary, such as X-Men #94, which has cover backgrounds ranging from 'green' to 'dark, near black'. 

Here's an example from a couple of books I once owned:

'Blue cover version'

Surfer2sale.jpg

'Purple' cover version from more red being used in the cover printing

Surfer2cgc.jpg

More startling to me than the color difference, looking at the bottom copy now, is how conservatively graded the copy was.  Old label goodness!

Edited by namisgr