• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What makes a good comic book artist?

43 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, zosocane said:

To me, a great comic book artist is first and foremost a story-teller.  If there were no word balloons and a reader only looked at the art on the panels, a reader should be able to deduce the story based on the "motion" and context of the drawings in each panel to form in his or her own mind what the story is.  Ditko, Kirby, and Byrne were masters with their layouts.  Of the more modern artists, Gary Frank is a master story-teller.  Second, the artist has to be able to draw characters, buildings, etc. in a manner that make them look real.  If the drawings were to come to life like the classic A-Ha video, would the character look like a person?  Adams, Raboy, Byrne, Wood, among others.  This is where so many modern artists miserably fail.    Third, does the artist make the drawings dynamic, so that in each panel, you "see" movement?  Kirby, Kane and Adams are the hands-down masters here.  Add Miller also.  And last but not least, how well, does an artist leverage dramatic effect by the use of lines and shadows?  Here, think Wrightson, Colan, Raboy, Miller and Giordano, among others.

The truly great comic book artists are the ones that effect all of those elements in their work.  Adams, Kane, Miller, Kirby, Byrne are at the top of this list, for me.

Very well stated.  Really like what you say about seeing movement.  I think Kirby and Miller are the best at this.  And you can just feel the power in the panels.  

10 hours ago, RsmosSucksAss said:

Are you really this much of a Noob? lol:gossip:

I just realized I typo'd the name. I feel like such a Jaybes doh!

Get a life dude.  Seriously, welcome to the boards. 

1 hour ago, jaybes said:
12 hours ago, RsmosSucksAss said:

Are you really this much of a Noob? lol:gossip:

I just realized I typo'd the name. I feel like such a Jaybes doh!

Get a life dude.  Seriously, welcome to the boards

C'mon man.  That's kinda funny.