• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

How do you know if you are going to be paying a good price for a book if it is outside the scope of Overstreet, and there are no recorded sales on Comiclink, no recent sales on Ebay and no one you know has bought one recently?

As a buyer, you can use any and all resources open to you, but we're talking about SELLERS here. doh!

hm not to be a d but i have seen you list raw HG SA books at GPA prices that weren't rare at all

Right. they are not rare per se but they are ultra hi grade so "rare" in 9.4/9.6 and outside the scope of Overstreet (since it only goes to 9.2) so I use GPA as a guideline.

(thumbs u

As a general rule if the book is worth more than Overstreet lists it to be I will quote whatever sources will apply...

R.

How do you know if you are going to be paying a good price for a book if it is outside the scope of Overstreet, and there are no recorded sales on Comiclink, no recent sales on Ebay and no one you know has bought one recently?

As a buyer, you can use any and all resources open to you, but we're talking about SELLERS here. doh!

Actually no. We were talking about sellers but to validate my point I then tried to show that it works for sellers and buyers. It works for both sides of the table. I would never purchase a big book (raw or CGC) without referencing GPA so I am not a seller in that case.

R.

hm not to be a d but i have seen you list raw HG SA books at GPA prices that weren't rare at all

Right. they are not rare per se but they are ultra hi grade so "rare" in 9.4/9.6 and outside the scope of Overstreet (since it only goes to 9.2) so I use GPA as a guideline.

(thumbs u

As a general rule if the book is worth more than Overstreet lists it to be I will quote whatever sources will apply...

R.

i guess i understand your logic, but i guess it all depends on what side of the hobby you are. as a pure collector, (meaning i almost never sell books) it drives me crazy to see GPA prices on raw books.

and do you have to be standing on one foot and have one hand tied behind you back when you hit the

:takeit:

meh

I don't get it....let me ask again...

Open question to all buyers.

How do you figure out what the book is worth on the open market?

R.

It comes down to what you're willing to pay for it. If it means a lot to you, you're willing to pay more for it.

i guess i understand your logic, but i guess it all depends on what side of the hobby you are. as a pure collector, (meaning i almost never sell books) it drives me crazy to see GPA prices on raw books.

Point taken. We finally agree on something!

:applause:

(thumbs u

R.

although in that case, (and you may have) but i would say,

OS at a 9.2 is listing the book at $xxx but since i feel it is above a 9.2 i'm going to quote GPA because a slabbed book sold for $xxxx

well maybe not worded exactly like that but you get my point

^^

Actually no. We were talking about sellers but to validate my point I then tried to show that it works for sellers and buyers.

Keep trying. lol

And are you actually saying that a seller hypes their raw listings with CGC GPA sales data, *only* to help out other buyers?

If so, please state it for the record, so we can all have a huge laugh. :insane:

(thumbs u

R.

Thats my general feeling on using GPA in raw sales threads as well. By the time you factor in shipping and slabbing costs it may be better to wait and just buy the books already graded. Of course there is always the chance it will come back higher than listed, but we all know it can ( and most likely will) come back lower than listed.

But as the ocassional seller I look to get top dollar. Would I use it? Not really sure., but it is one of the available tools

It comes down to what you're willing to pay for it. If it means a lot to you, you're willing to pay more for it.

right. And you want what you pay for it not to be too far off what everyone else is willing to pay for a similar book, right?

There are some people who will pay ANY price to get what they want. There are others who will pay a fair market value. Most people fall into the second catagory to and want to see what others are paying so that they get the book for a fair price.

So again if GPA has values I can use I think it's smart to use them...as are all other avaialble options.

(thumbs u

R.

Actually no. We were talking about sellers but to validate my point I then tried to show that it works for sellers and buyers.

Keep trying. lol

And are you actually saying that a seller hypes their raw listings with CGC GPA sales data, *only* to help out other buyers?

If so, please state it for the record, so we can all have a huge laugh. :insane:

Forget it Vince. Don't have time for this. You know what I mean.

Bye all.

R.

I see your point. I might say the same if I weren't doing any selling.

^^

I was like you Monstro.

Rarely selling and always putting "new" money into comics.

Now I use the money from sales to make more comic purchases, I can still collect and sometimes make a little coin for extra books and I'm just as happy because I'll leave a better quality of books for my boy to flip when I'm dead. :acclaim:

right. And you want what you pay for it not to be too far off what everyone else is willing to pay for a similar book, right?

There are some people who will pay ANY price to get what they want. There are others who will pay a fair market value. Most people fall into the second catagory to and want to see what others are paying so that they get the book for a fair price.

So again if GPA has values I can use I think it's smart to use them...as are all other avaialble options.

(thumbs u

R.

I'm right with you, brother...I figure if the resource is there, might as well use it (thumbs u . And let me add that it doesn't bother me to put a high price on it, because I'll refund every bit of it if the buyer isn't happy. And I'm trying to get the best price I can on my comics...so I can continue to support my habit, which is buying more comics :applause: