• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay live auctions

3 posts in this topic

Ebay live auctions

Can someone explain ebay live auctions?  For some reason I'm nervous because I dont understand them and am afraid I will commit to something and there will be hidden fees beyond buyer's premium or something else I am unaware of.  What is the deal?  Are they safe?

statements like these and the complex terms and conditions make me nervous:

Thereafter, any loss is the sole responsibility of the purchaser. 

All items are sold AS IS WHERE IS with NO GUARANTEE. 

Edited by kav

From what I have seen / understand eBay acts as a proxy for another auction house.  The items are offered on eBay and as a participant you are responsible for any fees associated that the other auction house (not eBay) determines that the buyer should pay.  

The last time I saw a live auction, it was run by a company selling toys.  They tacked on a buyer's premium (like what Heritage does) and then had a highly inflated processing and shipping rate.   The auction was run from a house I had never heard of but seemed to be using the eBay service to reach a wider audience.  

I think that I also saw one for movie memorabilia and props once. 

Also their rules are separate from eBay so in some cases as you describe above you are not as protected as you would be with the buyer's protection that eBay offers.  eBay makes this very clear when utilizing these types of auctions as you usually enter a prescreening process to become a participating bidder.  (At least in my case I had to be prescreened.)