• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stupid Ebay question.

12 posts in this topic

Stupid Ebay question.

How does something like this happen?

I have a card set up for $40. Someone sends me a best offer of $20, which I counter with $30. They counter with $28, and ask if they can pay in three days. I say okay.

Five days goes by, they don't answer an email I send on day four.

Today, someone offers $35, which I had the listing set to accept any offer of $35 or above.  

How was this still listed when I'd accepted an earlier offer. Did it relist itself after the guy didn't pay in a timely fashion?

I'm going to go with the second guy, but don't understand why it was still listed.

Maybe it has something to do with the offer expiring.

When you get the offer-- you have 48 hours to accept or decline.

Typically I see the item end when I accept an offer. Never had someone not eventually pay but they might revert the item closing if the buyer fails to pay.

Perhaps a similar 48 hour pay window occurs after the offer gets accepted.

Edited by 01TheDude

The Dude is exactly right-- I've had this happen in the past.  The buyer has 48 hours to pay once they've accepted an offer, if they don't the item relists and the sale is cancelled.

As an aside-- seriously, if you're one of these people who counters $28 to a $30 offer please get a life.  Two bucks????!  Don't buy a coffee at Dunkins this week and BAM-- there's your $2 and you no longer look like a 7 year old.  Right off the bat, someone counters something like that I don't want to do business with them.

It really seems like the insufficiently_thoughtful_person to good person ratio on eBay is growing.

The item is not removed until the offer is specifically accepted or rejected.  I had an offer come in and I countered.  While the other buyer was mulling over the counteroffer someone came in and bought it outright.  Oh well. 

I made an offer on something.  While the person sent a counteroffer to me, someone else must have offered something that a bit more and the seller accepted.  Oh well to me.

No item is sold until it is accepted. 

18 hours ago, shadroch said:

Stupid Ebay question.

I have a card set up for $40. Someone sends me a best offer of $20, which I counter with $30. They counter with $28, and ask if they can pay in three days. I say okay.

Today, someone offers $35, which I had the listing set to accept any offer of $35 or above.  

How was this still listed when I'd accepted an earlier offer. Did it relist itself after the guy didn't pay in a timely fashion?

I'm going to go with the second guy, but don't understand why it was still listed.

Your item is still listed as available for sale until the original buyer has actually paid. This was changed all the way back in 2013 during the Spring Seller Update. The practice originally only started in a few categories but has since been applied to most other categories.

20 hours ago, shadroch said:

Stupid Ebay question.

Ebay don't let BS get in the way of commerce. They get paid when it sells

On 3/14/2017 at 8:31 AM, AndyFish said:

The Dude is exactly right-- I've had this happen in the past.  The buyer has 48 hours to pay once they've accepted an offer, if they don't the item relists and the sale is cancelled.

As an aside-- seriously, if you're one of these people who counters $28 to a $30 offer please get a life.  Two bucks????!  Don't buy a coffee at Dunkins this week and BAM-- there's your $2 and you no longer look like a 7 year old.  Right off the bat, someone counters something like that I don't want to do business with them.

It really seems like the insufficiently_thoughtful_person to good person ratio on eBay is growing.

ef02b4af17582f7a6170122891c468b7be9ea23b

12 hours ago, shadroch said:

So if I buy something, someone else can still get it until I pay for it?

It should only apply to best offer sales. BIN and auctions are a done deal as soon as the buyer totals out (or requests a total)