• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the modern Bernie Wrightson,Adams,Byrne,Miller,Perez,Smith,Starlin and McFarlane today?

107 posts in this topic

This is why I love the artists who were, as you say, revolutionary. I'm a big NA fan and he challenged and changed the art itself, and as you say some saw as a threat, that only underscored his impact at the time. Now, you could also say that simply being different or "outside the box" is revolutionary, but quality, quality, quality - guys like Frazetta, Steranko, Miller weren't just imagining and drawing differently, they were also imagining and drawing at a higher level of artistic quality (yeah, not really sure that that means but you know it when you see it) too.  Who are those new-generation guys/gals today in comic art? Well a few were mentioned earlier, but time will tell if they are really revolutionary. Lots of good artists, but necessarily only a few can be revolutionary.

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

Actually Neal Adams was considered a threat by many artists in his time, being that he had adapted Photorealism techniques. And if you look at many of the greats that you and me mentioned, one thing that puts them together as a group of influential artists was just that - innovation. Sure, cats like Kubert, Buscema, Romita are a cut above the norm in terms of productivity and skills in the genre. But Eisner, Miller, Adams, Frazetta.. They thought outside the box.. They treated comic book as art and by doing so impacted and influenced others. And they in fact did that in a period of a few short years... Certainly not over a decade

What I bolded is what I am trying to get at.

So which modern  artists today are treating comic book as art like  Eisner, Miller, Adams, Frazetta did? Yeah I know there are great cover artists today like  Dell’Otto,but who are the modern ones like Neal Adams and Frank Miller who are pushing the boundaries inside the comics with storytelling?

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

And for the record (I know I wont be able to persuade you to believe me but.. For the record) Art Adams became a fan favorite by many artists within 2-3 years.. If that

btw your enthusiasm for Art Adams is going to make me pull out my Longshots from my longbox this week and read them. (thumbsu

I will give Art Adams credit in that he did the greatest Creature from the Black Lagoon comic ever.

Art Adams kind of reminds me of Steve Rude. A great artist who never got the big publicity because they didn't draw X-Men,Batman or Spider-Man monthly.

6 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Absolutely nonsense. 

A great artist is not measured by the amount of books he or she put out. Nor by his or her great business ethics. 

They are only measured by one aspect - their influence on the artform. 

And if you think that McFarlane wasn't influenced by AAdams or Golden, then me and you didn't grow up in the same times my friend 

The Beatles were influenced by Chuck Berry.  Then they developed their own style and I would say more were influenced by the Beatles.  I would say that McFarlane may not be as 'great' as others, but he was definitely a game changer in this hobby across several mediums like almost no other. 

28 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I will give Art Adams credit in that he did the greatest Creature from the Black Lagoon comic ever.

His Godzilla art is impressive as well.

Edited by Ken Aldred

22 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

The Beatles were influenced by Chuck Berry.  Then they developed their own style and I would say more were influenced by the Beatles.  I would say that McFarlane may not be as 'great' as others, but he was definitely a game changer in this hobby across several mediums like almost no other. 

W respect. Comparing Mcfarlane to the Beatles (at ANY capacity) is a stretch wouldnt you think?

I would compare him to Kiss before I did the Beatles.. They both DIDNT create a new style of music/art, but they certainly were marketing geniuses.

Anyways, my apologies if I derailed this thread off topic to concentrate on McFarlane as opposed to (I think) Wrightson. So heres a book I think everyone who appreciates both great comic book artists and Bernie Wrightson should own. Now more than ever:

studio.jpg

7 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

W respect. Comparing Mcfarlane to the Beatles (at ANY capacity) is a stretch wouldnt you think?

I would compare him to Kiss before I did the Beatles.. They both DIDNT create a new style of music/art, but they certainly were marketing geniuses.

Anyways, my apologies if I derailed this thread off topic to concentrate on McFarlane as opposed to (I think) Wrightson. So heres a book I think everyone who appreciates both great comic book artists and Bernie Wrightson should own. Now more than ever:

studio.jpg

It really is magnificent.

9 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I should have clarified.  I wasn't comparing McFarlane to the Beatles... I was just trying to show that someone can be influenced by a great artist and then go on to have even a greater influence than that in which they were influenced by. 

Edited by Buzzetta

8 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Where are the modern day Kaluta's, BWS, Brunner, Corben, Moebius..

whats sadder than the fact that there's no GREAT new talent, is the fact that the artistic gods of our past have been long forgotten

God, statements like this annoy me. Yes, ok, everything was better in the past. Music, art, athletes... women were more beautiful, men were stronger and more courageous, blah blah blah. 

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:
3 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

And for the record (I know I wont be able to persuade you to believe me but.. For the record) Art Adams became a fan favorite by many artists within 2-3 years.. If that

btw your enthusiasm for Art Adams is going to make me pull out my Longshots from my longbox this week and read them. (thumbsu

Art Adams kind of reminds me of Steve Rude. A great artist who never got the big publicity because they didn't draw X-Men,Batman or Spider-Man monthly

I love Art Adams as well, but he has admittedly said repeatedly he struggles with monthly deadlines so that why we don't see more of his work. He has done a lot of annuals and one shots as well.

I cant remember the last work of his I saw.

Perez is the workhorse artist. This guy can just plain churn it out. I think Brave and Bold was his last book wasn't it? I would imagine he is finally reaching the point that he cant meet the deadlines either anymore.

Edited by fastballspecial

For artists that do great covers and interiors for the modern age:

Ryan Stegman and R. M. Guéra are 2 that come to mind and there are many more. I love classic marvel and DC art. John Buscema is the best IMO, but there are some real talents out there working today. The main issues is that the company does not let them stay on books for long periods like in the old days so you don't get to deep on any one artist. 

29 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Modern era, not many going to compete with Capullo New 52 Batman.

I have difficulty thinking of Capullo as that modern an artist because I enjoyed his work on Quasar, which was 1991 or so.

Edited by Ken Aldred

5 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Maybe it is time for me to dig up those old Quasars? hm

They weren't bad at all.  Mark Gruenwald stories, many with Capullo art. Very promising even back then.

3 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

They weren't bad at all.  Mark Gruenwald stories, many with Capullo art. Very promising even back then.

Looks like I will check those out as well.

I was a big fan of Gruenwalds DP7,so I could see his Quasar being decent.

JHW3 on Batwoman was stunning. Possible the best and most interesting interiors I have seen in years.

I know he has been around many years, but did get mentioned, Epting. Go look at Velvet, his story telling is so strong in that title.

I would also put up Opena as one of the newest artisto mentioned yet in this thread. He may not be up there with the best yet, but does very solid covers and very nice interiors, so not a one trick pony.

10 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I have difficulty thinking of Capullo as that modern an artist because I enjoyed his work on Quasar, which was 1991 or so.

....and Neal Adams started on Adventures of the Fly and a newspaper strip.

It's not like these legends just came out of the gate with their most known work. But that seems to be how people choose to remember it. Funny, ain't it?

Edited by ygogolak