• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the modern Bernie Wrightson,Adams,Byrne,Miller,Perez,Smith,Starlin and McFarlane today?

107 posts in this topic

Looking back on McFarlane's art, I often think to myself "how could I have thought he was the best?  It's so cartoony!".

But his impact is undeniable.  He was the first "rock star" artist.  Sure, he was influenced by others (Adams, Golden, etc..).  But he's bigger than both of them combined.  And Adams was a "God" when I was collecting in my early years.

Everyone was influenced by someone.  Miller was influenced by Eisner, but I like Miller better.  

On 3/22/2017 at 11:30 AM, AGGIEZ said:

He hasn't done nearly enough work, but Mark Schultz is my modern master...even with the small sample size. I hope he gets freed up to continue the Xenozoic Tales line...

a77cfc686ce32b8f0c710261d972f144.jpg

20k%20finish%20200dpi.jpg

Mark-Schultzs-Xenozoic-Tales-Artists-Edi

Wow. Really resembles Al Williamson and EC sci-fi  (and I mean that in a good way). Thanks for sharing.

Edited by bronze_rules
accident

4 hours ago, bronze_rules said:

Wow. Really resembles Al Williamson and EC sci-fi  (and I mean that in a good way). Thanks for sharing.

That's why I started collecting Schultz as soon as I saw his style, back in the 80s.

I'm a huge EC science-fiction fan, unsurprisingly then, of the Williamson / Frazetta type, and especially when it's emulated so well decades later.

Edited by Ken Aldred

3 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

That's why I started collecting Schultz as soon as I saw his style, back in the 80s.

I'm a huge EC science-fiction fan, unsurprisingly then, of the Williamson / Frazetta type, and especially when it's emulated so well decades later.

You got fantastic taste my friend. :tink:

13 hours ago, Bird said:

McFarlane's page layouts were the first thing that made me notice him I think. those capes would stretch all along the panel borders. I had two Infinity Inc pages until selling them to Doug at Clink and one was a great page payout with a large Mr Bones figure and panels happening around him. I am not saying Todd did that first but I had not seen it yet. I remember reading an issue and thinking "no great cape pages" and feeling ripped off.

I remember asking Michael Bair about signing splash pages in the middle of the comic (maybe it was Liam Sharpe and maybe I don't remember it too well I guess). He laughed and said European artists did it all the time but I had never seen that (although I was reading Heavy Metal when I could get my hands on it years before that so I probably just never noticed).

This is what I am getting at. Is there artists now that when I open up a modern comic book I will be talking about 25 years later like you are with McFarlane?

I remember those first Spider-McFarlane Venom books. I remember saying to myself when reading thru them on the newsstand rack wow these are cool! Spider-Man is cool again and I have to buy this!

Same thing happened to me when I first picked up Simonson's Thor and Frank Miller's Daredevil.

Are there any modern artists out there right now that in 10 to 25 years we will look back and say wow this was something different and special? Are there artists out there now that are giving comics their wow moment like Frank Miller,Simonson and McFarlane did?

Like Neal Adams,John Byrne or Wrightson did ?

Why is there concern on the art side?  There are plenty of great artists drawing comics today.  I think the bigger concern is on the storytelling side (writers).

I can't remember the last time there were both in one comic...great art, great story...Batman "Hush"?

On 19/3/2017 at 7:52 PM, Aweandlorder said:

I think that the focus should be on who has been influential in the past 2-3 decades.. Not trying to win argument points here, just trying to make this topic relevant to the lack of artistic INFLUENTIAL talent in modern comic book art..

To demonstrate: C. C. Beck, Kirby, Frazetta, Kurtzman, Eisner, Adams (both Neal & Art), Miller... These are the names of some comic book greats who have shaped and made comic books look and read the way they do today. I fail to see ONE artist or storyteller who has had equal influential strength on others in modern history. 

There are plenty of good artists who's art is respected in the medium. Not one of them is revolutionary 

Rob Liefeld ... ?