• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Surfer 16 Grade : Care To Guess?

52 posts in this topic

yowtch. sometimes, it sucks to be right.

sorry to hear that. in cases like this, the "other-we-miss-resto-all-the-time" grading company should reimburse you the purchase price of the book, as well as all grading and shipping fees.

otherwise, what good is their grade? i'm gonna answer my own question...it's worth diddly squat if they can't detect resto

I am pretty sure I have the CGG label at home.

What is the grading date on the CGG label? You should call Daniel and tell him what happened. This sucks.

They really need to improve their resto detection capabilities. foreheadslap.gif

Why hide the serial #?

Because there are some books from that submission that will be used in the grading contest.

It was bought as a CGG 9.2, un-restored .

893whatthe.gifforeheadslap.gif

I will use my 8000th post to agree with you!

893whatthe.gif

Gotta ask it on this thread, because I've asked it of CGC staffers before and not been wholly satisfied with the answer, but:

how does CGC conclude the top and bottom edges have been trimmed?

I would assume, although I really don't know is that they inspect the grain of the inside of the cover to see if perhaps it is cut by means other than a printer. It would be possible to see the traces of a razor. Also, it might not line up with the pages.

Can't say for sure though, but its my best guess.

Gotta ask it on this thread, because I've asked it of CGC staffers before and not been wholly satisfied with the answer, but:

Take an X-Acto blade (#11) with a steel straight edge ruler and slice the top edge off of a comic book. Take a 10X jeweler's loupe and look closely at the edge of the paper. Compare how the edge looks now with how it looked before. You can usually tell the difference.

I'd imagine that variations in the edges could be readily seen using a stereoscope . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif This would confirm the suspicions of the naked eye.

What is the grading date on the CGG label? You should call Daniel and tell him what happened. This sucks.

They really need to improve their resto detection capabilities. foreheadslap.gif

cgglabel.jpg

cgglabel.jpg

Yep, that was graded before their new resto guy was hired in June 2004. You really have to watch for books graded before June 2004, because every CGG book we've seen here with missed resto was graded before then.

As questionable as PGX's resto detection is now (and I think it's still pretty suspect), I would view any book graded before June 2004 with even MORE suspicion.