• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel 1968 - Best to Worst

40 posts in this topic

Oh, I should have added that I don't read Spider-Man either... teenagers/kids in comics just never really interest me. Which doesn't explain why I have a whole run of Spider-Girl... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So what do you like?! (beside Spider-Girl tongue.gif)

Wipe that smile off yer face, bub... crazy.gif

FF, Cap, Hulk, Avengers, Superman, Flash, Justice League, Batman, Metamorpho, Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I see that I am in the minority here,but I didn't enjoy Hulk after 102. I realy enjoyed his latter TTA run,but thought his own book stunk.

Captain America gets my vote as the best of the lot,as he realy benfited fom gaining the extra pages every story.

Sub-mariner,especially issues 1 and 7-10 are amazing to me,as I didn't care for his TTA run at all.

Fury-amazing artwork,incomprehensible stories.

Iron Man- never my favorite but the extra pages flushed out some of the characters.

Silver Surfer-I enjoyed the issues with guest stars. He just doesn't seem to fill a book when he's solo.

Captain Marvel-Is required reading to really understand the Starlin years,but buy the Clif Notes versions.

Docter Strange-not my cup of tea,particulary the psuedo-superhero reboot of '68.

Taking everyones order into account, the BEST to WORST is:

Captain America (also got the most #1 votes)

Hulk

Silver Surfer (short series but obviously very popular)

Iron Man (a bit of a suprise in my opinion)

Never - even today - understood the appeal of Iron Man. Growing up on a farm, the last thing I wanted to read (well, maybe not last... wouldn't want to read about some angsty teens whining cuz they're mutants poke2.gif) about was some millionaire industrialist who could afford all of the neat toys and women.... maybe something I wanted, but felt really unattainable.

I do like ol' Shellhead on the Avengers, but never dug him as a solo act.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Read some of his stuff from the early 100's up to the mid 150's. Bob Layton work was great and then Romita work on issue 149 and 150 was awesome. Some good reading in those issues.

Iron Man as a character is one of Marvel's finest, no question. The heart as Achilles heel, the demon in a bottle, the pathos, etc. But when I didn't place Iron Man at the top of the list, it was cause I thought the writing on Iron Man in 1968 was bland. Good art, some great covers, some blah stories. He was much better later on. It seems were moving beyond 1968 here, and that's fine, but I just don't want anyone to think I'm down on Tony Stark. Overall, he's a better character and concept than Captain America, but, in 1968, Cap was by far a better book.

Joe

On a whole,I prefer the earliest bronze books to the later Silver age books.In my opinion,the entire Marvel line suffered a decline from around 1970 until the middle of 73.of course,thats around the same time I took my first sabbatical from comics,so reading them as B.I.s instead of off the newstands migh jade my vision.

On a whole,I prefer the earliest bronze books to the later Silver age books.In my opinion,the entire Marvel line suffered a decline from around 1970 until the middle of 73.of course,thats around the same time I took my first sabbatical from comics,so reading them as B.I.s instead of off the newstands might jade my vision.

Not technically a comic...but I think this was one of the highlights of 1968. cloud9.gif

TXBID-ASPECTACULARSPIDEY2.jpg

For those interested in reading this issue - it was finally reprinted in its entirety in Marvel Masterworks The Amazing Spider-Man Volume 7. This was released last week. It contains a great Green Goblin story by Romita and Lee.

Taking everyones order into account, the BEST to WORST is:

Captain America (also got the most #1 votes)

Hulk

Silver Surfer (short series but obviously very popular)

Iron Man (a bit of a suprise in my opinion)

Never - even today - understood the appeal of Iron Man. Growing up on a farm, the last thing I wanted to read (well, maybe not last... wouldn't want to read about some angsty teens whining cuz they're mutants poke2.gif) about was some millionaire industrialist who could afford all of the neat toys and women.... maybe something I wanted, but felt really unattainable.

I do like ol' Shellhead on the Avengers, but never dug him as a solo act.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Read some of his stuff from the early 100's up to the mid 150's. Bob Layton work was great and then Romita work on issue 149 and 150 was awesome. Some good reading in those issues.

I've read parts of the Power of Iron Man trade (120-130?) and certainly see that there is some appeal there. Still, the first thing that struck me about those issues was a kind of Bruce Wayne-wannabe feel... and I'm not a big Batman fan, so... confused-smiley-013.gif

But if everyone liked the same comics, then it wouldn't be as interesting to have discussions like this... thumbsup2.gif

So this is a great Thread that rates the eight(8) Marvel Titles for the year 1968.

My take:

1) Iron Man. Stan Lee once was quoted to say that this character-line was rushed and the least amount of efforts were put forth here. My understanding of that is that they still put out a great product while on auto-pilot( probably overbooked themselves). Shellhead's armour continually improved, the artwork improved, and his own title was better than the TOS stories. A little harder for the younger crowd to relate to, but the somewhat older crowd understood Tony Stark and looked up to him.

2) Silver Surfer. The number 1 did sell well and I was told that the # 1 sold the most copies. Probably true.Series only lasted 18 Issues and nearly canceled after the # 4 Issue then artist John Buscema pulls the 15th round knockout punch life-saving cover of the Thor cover. That cover has continually rated in the top 20 covers of all time and considering the hundreds of thousands of comic book covers created the last 100 years or so, that is saying quite a bit. Sure, the constant angst and torture the Hero endures month-after -month gets to the younger crowd, but the Surfer has a certain effect on those who love that character. Almost a cult-like status. Stan Lee didn make the time to put forth great writing themes and presented his( Kirby's) protagonist in the light desired, but was probably overwhelmed during these Marvel formative years. Buscema pencilled the first 17 Issues and did a spectacular job. Kirby did the last # 18 and I was told that the # 17 was to be the last but Kirby had the # 18 already done as a backup story when Buscema fell Ill the year before around Issue # 8. This Series still holds value today and IMO has the shortest supply of surviving comics of the late 1960;s comics.

3) Sub-Mariner. Strange character. Long history. The TTA run was OK, and had mostly Gene Colan as artist, but the first 10 Issues or so of his own series were great. Then began to run out of steam( storylines became watered-down). The # 8 battle where he eeks out the THING in a knock-down whirlwind battle is a classic! Subby had some of the ingredients of commanding respect; his position in his Society, trying to be right, and yet he is made to be a "villian" with Dr. Doom in a team-up format. This to me shows a total lack of direction for this character and suprised he lasted as long as he did.

4) Captain America. Well done with Kirby then Steranko. Then Gene Colan stepped in. Another character with long history, and for the most part, very consistent storylines. Not a lot of variance can be done with the one Superhero with no real "superpower". The writers must have kept that in mind.

5) Hulk. The TTA was somewhat well-done, and Marie Severin was more capable than ever given credit for. As the Hulk's central theme is raw brute strength, he could be put in almost any scenario, against any opponent and expected to survive. The writers had him all over the place, in Asgard, other micro-planets, against bizzare foes. But the writers remembered to give the Hulk a spirit and that is what drove the kids to be loyal to him through the years. Trimpe better than given credit for.

6) Captain Marvel. Had great potential at the beginning and somewhat similar to the Silver Surfer; from another planet, on a mission, someone over him( Col Yon Rogg I think was his name). Gene Colan art and those covers for the first few were great. Then ran out of steam. And did a nose-dive in quality so bad Marvel tried some radical costume changes, giave him new powers, and changed his dialogues to fit in better. IMO this line was not given great consideration.

7) Nick Fury. Steranko singlehandedly kept this Series alive. Storylines are deserving of the lowest rankings for comparisons. Can't believe this Series lasted as long as it did.

8) Dr. Strange. Very hard-to-relate character. A Doctor loses his skills as surgeon and thus evolves into a Mystics Master. Funkly costume. Sales were so bad, he was downgraded to bi-monthly for quite some time.

Hope you enjoy this Report.

CAL 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

And now for something irrelevantly boring. 893blahblah.gif

Two Gun Kid had to take a two year vacation for some reason while these 1968 title change(s) were taking place.

tgk092march1968.jpg

Two Gun Kid 92 March 1968 was on the newstands at the same time Tales to Astonish 101, Suspense 99 was there (etc..etc..)

Issue 93 wouldn't be on the stands until July 1970 after Silver Surfer #17.

tgk093july1970.jpg

And issue 94 would be on the stands at the same time Silver Surfer has its final issue. I'd hate to have bought a subscription to Two Gun Kid back in 1968...."Is that new issue in yet?" foreheadslap.gif

Has there been a poll/survey of what was Marvel's/DC's best year (with proof)?

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I think there might have been but it would be tough to pick just one year when you have '62-'68. So many new characters and keys.

But I'm sure we could have a civilized discussion about it and reach a unanimous conclusion...

yeahok.gif

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Your question made me look through some old Marvels and when I got to December 1964, I noticed that :

the FF were king with issue 33, and Strange Tales appearances.

Thor had made his 28th appearace.

Ant/Giant-Man had made his 29th appearance and was now sharing his title with the Hulk.

Millie the Model had 2 titles, and yes I'm sure many were sold as well as Patsy and Hedy.

Spider-man was by now a solid hit with # 19 (as well as crossover power on the cover of Avengers 11)

Captain America appears in Sgt Fury 13.

Tales of Suspense had Cap and Iron Man.

Daredevil was getting started with issue 5. (after his red costume he starts becoming monthly in 1965.

Not too mention the occasional issue of Rawhide Kid/KidColt/2GunKid that were every other month.

The only slouch sorry to say was X-men which couldn't get published every month until November 1965.

This is no disrespect to DC, but wow!!!!! What a line-up.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I think there might have been but it would be tough to pick just one year when you have '62-'68. So many new characters and keys.

But I'm sure we could have a civilized discussion about it and reach a unanimous conclusion...

yeahok.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

Not technically a comic...but I think this was one of the highlights of 1968. cloud9.gif

TXBID-ASPECTACULARSPIDEY2.jpg

For those interested in reading this issue - it was finally reprinted in its entirety in Marvel Masterworks The Amazing Spider-Man Volume 7. This was released last week. It contains a great Green Goblin story by Romita and Lee.

One of the best silver Spidey stories ever! thumbsup2.gif

If I recall, Spidey Annual #9 reprinted this comic, so it had been reprinted before. Also, the Spectacular Spider-man Magazine #1 was reprinted in Amazing Spider-man #116-118. I am amazed to this day that so many people don't know that those issues of Amazing Spider-man are actually reprints.

Joe

I never had one of these - ever. If I did I don't recall, I have so many boxes and stuff that gets set aside and then forgotten about.

Now I am going to get them just to see how good they really were.

CAL