• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN FANS - help solve a mystery

18 posts in this topic

X-MEN FANS - help solve a mystery

While I posted this question in the art forum, I am hoping more eyes and true X-men fans can help solve this mystery.

Please help me identify if this image is from an actual published comic .  The description on it says uncanny x-men 388 - but its not that.  

Hoping you might have a clue.  I have contacted the artist but havent found out anything yet.  Google images hasnt been to helpful either.

If you recognize the image and know what comic its from - it would be appreciated.

20170406_151844.jpg

37 minutes ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

Unused cover from Uncanny X-men #388. Larroca art. Pictured is Storm and Cable. There was a bit of romance going on with those 2 characters at the time. I think they may have started veering away from that which may explain the cover change/change in storyline.

100% accurate. No one question me. 

You're correct, sir. It might not have been a cover, but it's unused art. That was Larrocca from right before X-Treme X-Men launched, when Storm & Cable were both on the X-Men during Claremont's "Revolution" run. This was the tail end of the run before Claremont got replaced so they could do a few filler issues by Scott Lobdell before Morrison & Casey were about to start their runs. Claremont's return got aborted on both X-Men & Uncanny X-Men quickly. He returned on UXM 381 (and XM 100), did 6 issues to get his run started, got interrupted by the Maximum Security event with 387, did the 1-month Dream's End X-over storyline in 388, did a filler-issue/breather issue in 389 and then got replaced on 390 by Lobdell for 4 issues before Joe Casey took over the title. He DID get to take Larocca with him from XM. He was sorta running both titles as interconnected but with 2 different field teams. Larocca was the regular artist & cover artist for XM, not UXM at the time. It was very likely that his editor pretty much scrapped any romantic entanglements he was introducing at the time and they scrapped this cover since the whole direction of the X-line was getting a drastic overhaul with Casey & Morrison taking over the 2 main titles.

Edited by Doktor

Yeah. It was most likely an unused cover, but I wanted to avoid using any guess-work as a definitive statement.

*edit* Tho I was mistaken. Lienil Francis Yu was the artist on XM at the time. Larocca came over to UXM and followed one of the Kuberts on UXM.

Edited by Doktor

Ok. So art is by  Larroca and Townsend. It was not a used  cover - but does anyone recall seeing this image in house ads of the time or catalogs or anything like that?

Btw - love all the deduction in figuring out who the characters are/were.

Any other guesses would be welcome.

It's definitely storm & Cable. That's the exact costume Storm wore in XXM and you can see Cyclops visor hanging around Cable's neck. This was just after the whole The Twelve story & he was wearing Cyclops visor around his neck in UXM in memory of his (though to be) dead dad. There's no more guessing needed there.

I cannot comment on whether it was published in any way though. Even as a house-ad or anything.

15 minutes ago, Doktor said:

It's definitely storm & Cable. That's the exact costume Storm wore in XXM and you can see Cyclops visor hanging around Cable's neck. This was just after the whole The Twelve story & he was wearing Cyclops visor around his neck in UXM in memory of his (though to be) dead dad. There's no more guessing needed there.

I cannot comment on whether it was published in any way though. Even as a house-ad or anything.

+1 I also think that if it was ever published, the best chance would be in Previews from a few months before. I do think it's unlikely that it was published though.