• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there a market for autographed comics?

21 posts in this topic

I'll be putting up a lot of autographed comics in a couple of weeks, and I was just wondering if there was actually a market for non-certified autographs?

Personally, I wouldn't want to buy an autograph from a seller...I'd want to get the autograph in person. But there HAS to be people who collect these, right?

I'd say it depends whether they are 1) in excellent condition, otherwise, and 2) they are signed by someone well known to the comic community who may have many fans out there.

I don't see why they wouldn't sell decently, when pre-signed sports memorabilia are such hot commodities.

What kind of sigs do you have? I may be interested depending on what you've got.

Here's my list:

Awesome Holiday Special gold edition signed by Steve Skroce (w/ Wizard Certificate of Authenticity)

Badrock sketch signed by Rob Liefeld

Death: The High Cost of Living #1 signed by Chris Bachalo (w/ certificate of authenticity)

DV8 chromium trading card signed by Humberto Ramos

Heroes for Hope signed by Charles Vess

Kabuki: Fear the Reaper signed by David Mack

Lone Gunmen Special signed by Jane Espenson

Savage Dragon mini #1 signed by Erik Larsen

Spawn #1 signed by Todd McFarlane

Speedmaster #1 signed by Eric Powell

Uncanny X-Men #248 signed by Jim Lee

What If v2 #36 signed by...me...there's a story there

Youngblood v1 #1 signed by Rob Liefeld

That's the extent of my collection. The Uncanny would probably be my nearest and dearest issue, but all of the ones that don't have a CoA were signed by the artists at a con, so they're a little more special (at least to me) than something that was bought.

They'll all be going up on eBay with $.99 starting bids. They'll have BINs with them, but the prices will be speculations on my part, and who knows if anyone will actually go for them.

Not to burst your bubble, but my LCS picked up a long box of autographed comics, he offered them all to me for $50 and I turned them down. Not saying thats going to happen with yours but I believe the market for signed comics right now is pretty much nill.

Not to burst your bubble, but my LCS picked up a long box of autographed comics, he offered them all to me for $50 and I turned them down. Not saying thats going to happen with yours but I believe the market for signed comics right now is pretty much nill.

From looking on eBay, that's what I figured. But I'm in the position where a little money now would do me better than holding onto them, so maybe I'll get lucky and get a little interest in them.

Here's my list:

Awesome Holiday Special gold edition signed by Steve Skroce (w/ Wizard Certificate of Authenticity)

Death: The High Cost of Living #1 signed by Chris Bachalo (w/ certificate of authenticity)

That's the extent of my collection. The Uncanny would probably be my nearest and dearest issue, but all of the ones that don't have a CoA were signed by the artists at a con, so they're a little more special (at least to me) than something that was bought.

They'll all be going up on eBay with $.99 starting bids. They'll have BINs with them, but the prices will be speculations on my part, and who knows if anyone will actually go for them.

I'm a pretty big Lee fan, as well as McFarlane (eventhough there is no market for anything he's done outside of ASM 300). Eventhough I already have copies of XM 248 and Spawn 1, I'd be willing to check them out.

I have Batman # 400 comic signed by Kaluta, Perez, Frank Miller, Art Adams, Steranko, Klaus Janson, Jim Lee, Mignola, & other inkers & writers. About 13 or 16 scribbled on front cover. Just go to your local comicon for more bargain autographed comics.

If anyone is interested in signed Uncanny X-Men comics (170s through early 300s) then let me know. I have maybe 50 of them all signed by the artist and/or writer of the issues. Selling for pretty cheap and all in VF/NM and above. Claremont, Silvestri, Kubert, Romita, Portacio, etc. Would consider trades as well for nice Bronze books.

only if they're CGC sig series, i sold a Batman 251 CGC 9.2 signed by Neal Adams for $251. that's CGC 9.4 money avg in GPA.

I am boycotting SS books, because CGC won't take a Dynamic Forces certificate as proof of signature.

only if they're CGC sig series, i sold a Batman 251 CGC 9.2 signed by Neal Adams for $251. that's CGC 9.4 money avg in GPA.

I am boycotting SS books, because CGC won't take a Dynamic Forces certificate as proof of signature.

SS books are unique to the market. CGC reps actually stand in line and witnesses the signature, to ensure the autograph is authentic.

DF gives you a piece of paper. yeahok.gif

SS books are unique to the market. CGC reps actually stand in line and witnesses the signature, to ensure the autograph is authentic.

Eh. I still don't like the fact no matter what reasons anyone gives. confused-smiley-013.gif

Here's my list:

I'm a pretty big Lee fan, as well as McFarlane (eventhough there is no market for anything he's done outside of ASM 300). Eventhough I already have copies of XM 248 and Spawn 1, I'd be willing to check them out.

I have a Spawn #1 CGC 9.8 signed on the slab by McFarlane flowerred.gif

Eh. I still don't like the fact no matter what reasons anyone gives. confused-smiley-013.gif

That's fine. All I'm saying is, how do you really know if the DF book signature is authentic? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Not trying to change your mind, but just wanted you to understand that all the CGC Signature Series yellow label signifies is that the book was signed infront of a CGC recognized witness. That's it. To accept an autographed DF book for the yellow label, CGC would have to get into the business of authenticating signatures.

Not trying to change your mind, but just wanted you to understand that all the CGC Signature Series yellow label signifies is that the book was signed infront of a CGC recognized witness. That's it. To accept an autographed DF book for the yellow label, CGC would have to get into the business of authenticating signatures.

Yes, I know that's what SS means. I think they need to do something with DF books though, even if its a little different. Maybe "Apparant Sig Series?" 27_laughing.gif

Yes, I know that's what SS means. I think they need to do something with DF books though, even if its a little different. Maybe "Apparant Sig Series?" 27_laughing.gif

You know, you may be onto something. If DF would be willing to sponsor it, maybe a DF label in the same colour as their COA's. It could state a "Dynamic Forces Signed" book. This way, CGC are definitely not authenticating the signature, but at the same time, they're not just green labelling the book either. Something in the vain of the Wizard First label minus the amended grading system. DF would definitely have to cough up money to sponsor this type of initiative, but I'm not sure what the benefits are to them for doing it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif