• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slab Storage - Any ideas besides the obvious?

34 posts in this topic

Maybe see if you can find some architects drawers for blueprints. They're like very very shallow filing cabinets or tool cabinets that you can go maybe 1-2 books stacked and about 3-4 wide and sometimes even 2 deep in the drawers. And they generally have about a dozen or more drawers in the cabinet. Plus, you can use it as a table as well.

88248e383b39da3045bb99ad6191e672.jpg

9 hours ago, Doktor said:

Maybe see if you can find some architects drawers for blueprints. They're like very very shallow filing cabinets or tool cabinets that you can go maybe 1-2 books stacked and about 3-4 wide and sometimes even 2 deep in the drawers. And they generally have about a dozen or more drawers in the cabinet. Plus, you can use it as a table as well.

Very nice.

11 minutes ago, Dr.Fate'sFullHelmet said:
9 hours ago, Doktor said:

Very nice.

Anyone OCD enough to even consider storing their slabs in friggin' rolling tool chest like that would never tolerate the slightly ajar uppermost drawers in each section.  

No sale!  dont%20care.gif

23 hours ago, valiantman said:

Spines down, gravity keeps the pages safely inside the cover.

slabvault.jpg

I have a similar setup, but I had a custom wall mounted cabinet made that is deep enough to house the entire slab.

22 hours ago, MadGenius said:

What kind of shelves are those?

These... 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-and-Gardens-Ashwood-Road-5-Shelf-Bookcase/15914793

I wasn't comfortable with the cheaper-made shelving units, but I think I paid closer to $100 each for these a few years ago.

I also tilt them slightly backwards against the wall using shims on each side.  Just a paranoia that they could ever tilt forward that I'm more comfortable if they lean back slightly.

https://www.amazon.com/Ez-Shim-Heavy-Duty-Shims-count/dp/B002Y0LIQE

Edited by valiantman

46 minutes ago, joeypost said:

I have a similar setup, but I had a custom wall mounted cabinet made that is deep enough to house the entire slab.

That would be nice, but my "vault" isn't in my home.  It's in a more secure location (than my house, your house might be Fort Knox). :grin:

I have a lot of my books on ikea picture frame shelves for display. You'll swear they were made for CGC books and even have a groove at the bottom so they don't move.

For my babies I store them flat :cloud9: I recently discovered the CGC portfolios that slab pro makes and I really like them. (Not my book, lol)

20GradedPortfolioProductImage.jpg