• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Universal label for hand numbered covers?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, dave32563 said:

Universal label for hand numbered covers?

Has CGC reversed course on their treatment for hand numbered limited covers? This is a new slab.

grimm.jpg

The numbering is factored into the grade for the book in the universal label slab - it's most likely what made this book a 9.6.

1 hour ago, dave32563 said:

Is that an option when submitting? 9.8 gets a green label, anything less gets universal?

Yeah, for a higher grade book with an unverified signature/marking on the cover you can always ask for a blue label with the grade hit.

Bear in mind, though, that a large unverified signature on the cover can drop the grade dramatically - I've seen 9.8 books drop to 8.5/9.0 because of this.

17 hours ago, mschmidt said:

Yeah, for a higher grade book with an unverified signature/marking on the cover you can always ask for a blue label with the grade hit.

Bear in mind, though, that a large unverified signature on the cover can drop the grade dramatically - I've seen 9.8 books drop to 8.5/9.0 because of this.

Thanks for the explanation

It's funny because i had this exact same book. Mine was number PP/100 for printers proof. I had it signed by Mike Debalfo the cover artist. It came back yellow lablel9.6

Now I knew for a fact this book was FLAWLESS, inside and out. So I contacted CGC. I was told it recieved the 9.6 due to the hand written number. My arguement was how can a Hand written number by the manufacturer cause a book to lose a grade and an Autograph not then? They are both ink on the cover. 

After a discussion with the previous head of the Sig Series they agreed with me, sent it back and came back 9.8 (should still be 10 imho) but hey.

52 minutes ago, TheRealVenom said:

It's funny because i had this exact same book. Mine was number PP/100 for printers proof. I had it signed by Mike Debalfo the cover artist. It came back yellow lablel9.6

Now I knew for a fact this book was FLAWLESS, inside and out. So I contacted CGC. I was told it recieved the 9.6 due to the hand written number. My arguement was how can a Hand written number by the manufacturer cause a book to lose a grade and an Autograph not then? They are both ink on the cover. 

After a discussion with the previous head of the Sig Series they agreed with me, sent it back and came back 9.8 (should still be 10 imho) but hey.

The SS rules changed for this a while back - if you pick up a hand-numbered comic directly from the artist or publisher booth at a show, and you have a CGC witness with you, the hand numbering is considered eligible for SS and won't affect the grade. That wasn't the case in the past.