• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hypothetical Question: If you were to have a book restored ..... ?

46 posts in this topic

Were the edges of the book trimmed? It looks a little fooked up with the pages extending beyond both the front and back covers and a bit at the top/bottom.

I have several restored books and won't hesitate to buy more, but it appears Matt could have tried to match the cover up with the interior a little bit better. Undoubtedly, once the cover is removed that is where the bulk of the work goes and it looks great by itself, but when these gem covers are matched back up with a "good" interior, they look a bit off-kilter. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If it was trimmed it wasn't Matt who did it. The mismatch looks worse in the scan than in person (as is sometimes the case). I think he used the original staple holes so that's just the way it lines up.

I almost bought another restored copy of AF15 back in February but the work was not that great. I have no problem with restoration as long as it's done well and gets me a book that I wouldn't have normally been able to afford otherwise.

Were the edges of the book trimmed? It looks a little fooked up with the pages extending beyond both the front and back covers and a bit at the top/bottom.

I have several restored books and won't hesitate to buy more, but it appears Matt could have tried to match the cover up with the interior a little bit better. Undoubtedly, once the cover is removed that is where the bulk of the work goes and it looks great by itself, but when these gem covers are matched back up with a "good" interior, they look a bit off-kilter. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If it was trimmed it wasn't Matt who did it. The mismatch looks worse in the scan than in person (as is sometimes the case). I think he used the original staple holes so that's just the way it lines up.

I almost bought another restored copy of AF15 back in February but the work was not that great. I have no problem with restoration as long as it's done well and gets me a book that I wouldn't have normally been able to afford otherwise.

I'm with you brother. Also because I'm cheap.

IncredibleHulk_001.jpg

Hi everyone

The book is more than likely NOT trimmed, but was washed.

Everyone should know that when Marvels are washed a certain way, they can shrink in the horizontal direction, leaving the interiors poking out farther than they should. When this occurs, the common remedy to this is to add paper to either the back cover edge of the book (thus allowing the front cover to move towards the leading edge and cover the interiors) or to add paper to the spine. Sometimes, paper will be added to the front cover, but that is really a lot of extra work (as you will be extending the artwork on the front).

Hope this helps.

Tracey Heft

www.eclipsepaper.com

IncredibleHulk_001.jpg

Hi everyone

The book is more than likely NOT trimmed, but was washed.

Everyone should know that when Marvels are washed a certain way, they can shrink in the horizontal direction, leaving the interiors poking out farther than they should. When this occurs, the common remedy to this is to add paper to either the back cover edge of the book (thus allowing the front cover to move towards the leading edge and cover the interiors) or to add paper to the spine. Sometimes, paper will be added to the front cover, but that is really a lot of extra work (as you will be extending the artwork on the front).

Hope this helps.

Tracey Heft

www.eclipsepaper.com

Verrry interesting Tracey, thanks! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Here are the hi-res scans of my AF15. Matt Wilson did this work back in 1992...

AF15 Front Cover

AF15 Back Cover

The work on the back cover is not nearly as godd as it is on the front. Matt told me the ballpoint ink was really old and he had to try several things to get it to come out. Some of it wouldn't budge.