• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slab Defect?

11 posts in this topic

Slab Defect?

Hello everyone!

Not sure where to post this but:

Recently started collecting comics again, and I got my first slabs from ebay.  I don't know how pristine the cases are supposed to be, but on all four slabs (from the same seller).  I noticed that on the right side from the very top of the comic portion of the slab - all the way to the bottom part of the tag portion, there was some roughness / substance in the crevice of the slab.  is this common.. or have I been swindled =(

20170505_130407.thumb.jpg.148203c3b1c33c8f7e29ee5a1103f5dd.jpg

Yes, you've been swindled. 

However, whether the cases have been tampered with or not is another question.

I will throw out a guess that they haven't been tampered with.  The new slabs are welded tight and are pretty much impossible to tamper with without creating a bunch of jagged-edge shards.  The exception is around the label area, but with the new bent label and its separate well, that would be tough endeavor to mess with as well.

I've cracked out all my new generation slabs, so don't have anything in stock for comparison purposes.  I suppose someone could use a Dremel tool or something to saw the weld somewhat cleanly though.

I'll leave it up to the board experts for other opinions, of which, I'm sure there will be plenty.

Are these books that it would pay to tamper with?

2 hours ago, mschmidt said:

Looks fine from the photo.

It's been my experience that mschmidt is right about everything.  And I'm not being facetious, honest. :smile: