• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery Tales #19 CGC 6.0 Over $2K?
1 1

23 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

I'm a  big fan of the idea of transitional ages. I love the idea of Atomic coming between GA and SA and I love what is jokingly referred to as Cronze or Bropper as the transition between BA and CA.

What I would not be fond of is CGC having the only say on the creation of Atomic Age. It's not up to them solely

Don't disagree with you and I'm fine if the period between 1946 and 1955 was called a "Gatomic" or "Satomic" Age. My position is that it's neither Gold nor Silver so this period belongs in its own forum. Overstreet has already identified this period as the Atomic Age (see the Overstreet Hall of Fame 24th - 30th Editions) so I'm fine with calling it the Atomic Age and it's a transitional period in the history of the 20th Century American Comic Book. That being said, I also agree with you that CGC should not be the exclusive decision maker, and it's not, on this matter- it's a grading company (that I like). This thread is just another example of how confusing it is for some in deciding where precode books are and you correctly pointed out doesn't belong in the Silver Age.

Edited by bronze johnny

12 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Incredible Science Fiction 33 could be among the first SA books by your definition?

It's certainly  getting there...... it's a lot closer to silver than 50 girls 50...... but to be honest, applying an "age" designation to a book isn't that important to me.  I have just two real groups that I place books in.... those that I want and those that I don't. It is an interesting discussion in it's own way, but to be honest(...again:smile:), I have disagreements with a lot of folks about the duration of every "age"....... 1984 is Bronze ?..... not in my world. All Star 57 is Atomic Age ? ......again, not in my world.... Superman 76 ? Batman 66 ? ...can't see it. Like my pal Jerkfro has said, if we insist on using time frames as a factor, why not just call them 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's books, etc...? Or just stick to genres if that's what we're analyzing ?.... like PCH, Sci-Fi, Romance..... the thematic changes begin to blur a bit when we try to place date constraints and "ages" on what is more an artistic and literary evolution based on changing tastes in the public domain. I don't think we could apply, accurately anyway, the concept of "ages" to any popular artistic endeavor. It doesn't really work for literature, art, television, film, because by it's very nature an artistic pursuit will sooner or later begin to push the limits and boundaries of what went before.... and that happens a little here and a little there over time..... not at some magical stopping and starting point. As for the topic at hand ...... Mystery Tales 19 is the kind of publication that was a catalyst to the end of an era..... not even remotely SA..... again, in my world.  GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

.... to me, the addition of the term "early" or "late" to the ages we already have, works for me. Personally, I consider atomic age to also be "late" GA....

Edited by jimjum12